Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2021 1:47:17 PM EDT
What do you guys think about storing bag bags of wood pellets as fuel for a rocket stove (for cooking)?  Would it more efficient than just plain wood?  or even charcoal vs wood.  It's so much easier to store.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how they would work for that but I do know that you need to make sure they stay dry because they are not like cord wood which can get wet and dried out again, if they get wet they expand and turn to sawdust.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know how they would work for that but I do know that you need to make sure they stay dry because they are not like cord wood which can get wet and dried out again, if they get wet they expand and turn to sawdust.
View Quote

All they are is extruded saw dust to begin with.

Should work fine but you'll need to figure out a feed system I would think. They are just saw dust and wood.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Get some and try them in your stove.  See what you think.

If they work, store some.  

Doc
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pellet grill and messed around. the posters talking about moisture ruining them are correct. They also don't burn really well without the little fan pellet smokers have. They seem to smolder more than burn. they don't take a flame well. I tried in my Solo stove (large) but there was other stuff in there, too. I imagine air from a small one may help but doubt it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 2:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Not Rocket stove.
Wood pellets work great in a TLUD stove (Top-Lit UpDraft)
Also known as a gasification stove.

Can be built from common food tin cans.

TLUD Handbook

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top