Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2021 7:00:00 PM EDT
We are wanting to try raised beds this year.  I was originally thinking 2 or 3 8'x4' beds.  I found a Justin Rhodes plan for a 8'x4'x2' bed made of cedar.  Priced out the lumber and they would be about $450 each.  

I starting thinking and realized that galvanized metal roofing comes in 8'x2' sheets, and if I built the frame out of cedar and replaced the cedar decking with galvanized, the price would go down to $250/each.  Not sure how well the thin galvanized steel will hold up long term.

For even cheaper, Northern tool sells a 8'x3' raised bed that is all corrugated steel for $73, but it's only 1' tall.

What other options am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My local Menards sells old railroad ties for a decent price.
Just make sure you bring a helper, those things are HEAVY!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
90's Chevy pickups are dirt cheap and most of them have raised beds.  Usually plenty of drainage holes
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever material you choose make sure there are no issues with anything leaching into your soil.

ETA: check out hugelkultur

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is not really recommended due to the chemicals used to preserve them.

If I were to try and build some beds, I would certainly look for any kind of scrap to use, be it metal or wood.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the vids on youtube about building interlocking concrete sides.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
used pallet racking and sheet metal for the frame?

a 16' 30" ish wide upright is about $50. chop that up into 2' pieces. measure and cut it so the teardrop holes line up and you're beams sit flat.

8'-12' load beams are $5-$15 each depending on condition , you'll need at least 4 per frame , unl;ess you wanted to go shallow.

Line the interior with galvanized metal and fill with dirt. Wont last forever and you might want to add  concrete pavers under the corners to keep the steel from sinking in the ground

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
How about dry stacking concrete blocks and then filling the cavities with concrete?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My plan for this spring might interest you...

Make your bed walls out of hay or straw square bales.

When the season is done, mix the hay into the bed and get new bales next spring.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
find soeone that puts up etal buildings. buy their cover sheets. build a siple frae out of wood or anything, line with cover sheets,fill with  dirt of choice. plant, grow, enjoy
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When the season is done, mix the hay into the bed and get new bales next spring.
View Quote

Piggy back onto that, buy the "less than desirable ones" for much cheaper. The ones no longer fit for feed (ones that get wet get moldy/ruined) but they still might be usable for building walls for a garden.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bear in mind, if you use hay you’ll be introducing weeds to your garden beds. Straw shouldn’t have that issue.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

or just do straw bale gardening and skip the bed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about dry stacking concrete blocks and then filling the cavities with concrete?
View Quote

Any wood you use is going to eventually rot unless it is treated, which is not recommended.

I dry stacked blocks last spring without filling the cores and they are holding well.  The biggest problem is grass and weeds growing in the cores.  

I plan to put up a greenhouse this year and relocate the beds inside it.  I may fill the cores then.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Some of the best raised beds I've seen are my brother's. He has several tractors and industrial equipment with rubber tracks. When he replaces tracks he turns the old tracks on their side and uses them as raised beds. They're rubber so they can take on any shape you want, they deteriorate very slowly, they can be easily relocated, they don't require any assembly, etc.

If you have an industrial/agricultural tire supplier in your area go ask them if they have any old rubber tracks that need to be disposed. They usually have to pay to dispose of them so as long as they know you're not misusing them (burning etc) many will usually give them away.

You may also check with servicing dealers such as Kubota, Gehl, John Deere, Caterpillar, Case, New Holland etc. Sometimes people go straight to the dealer for replacement tracks.

It's likely they don't have any right now but they may be willing to keep your name for when they do, ask them if they would.

You can get them in nearly any width (height once turned on their side) but narrower will be more common due to use on many CTLs & mini excavators now. Be forewarned, if you want big like found on big tractors (30" wide, 18 feet long), they're going to be heavy and you will need a tractor to move them. The smaller tracks are easily moved with 1 strong individual or 2 average individuals.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Find a local wood mill or anyone in your area that mills. go get their rounds and ugly cuts. They'll hold up for some time, my initial batch will be on their third season this year and still solid. Bonus is when they rot out its just more food for the bed and you can build a slightly larger frame around it.

Last two years I used my neighbors mill to cut up pine from our property into 2x8s and built 6 4x10 beds 16" high. this year I'll be using our brand new mill to cut my own!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I made 2 4x8 and 2 4x4 beds like these for about $300.

Beautiful DIY Raised Garden Beds in 3 MIN! - How to Build
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used treated (newer stuff, not the old kind) lumber for raised beds with no problem.
Mine are 2x8's, I don't need tall beds.

As an alternative, look at plastic deck boards. You may have to get them 2 high to get height like mine, cause I'm not sure if they go more than 6" wide.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#18]
You can line anything with black plastic or heavy poly, if you're worried about leaching, rot, corrosion, etc. Just leave the bottom open so it can drain.

I got an old toilet out back with a fake mother of pearl seat on it. I bet you could make a hell of a crop of tomatoes and peppers in that thing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heavy with stuff you don't want in your food.  Really you don''t want this stuff on your property.  America's lack of science education will make us even dumber.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Any wood you use is going to eventually rot unless it is treated, which is not recommended.

I dry stacked blocks last spring without filling the cores and they are holding well.  The biggest problem is grass and weeds growing in the cores.  

I plan to put up a greenhouse this year and relocate the beds inside it.  I may fill the cores then.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/460899/3813_jpg-1806045.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/460899/3813_jpg-1806045.JPG

Concrete blocks are good; cinder blocks can apparently contain some heavy metals like mercury/arsenic (from the fly ash)

I'm curious if there are any affordable polymer/masonry based options, since that seems like could be both affordable and long lasting.  I am wanting to make a pair of two-tiered raised beds as a quasi hugelkultur thing.

One problem with hugels is they do NOT like heavy rain until totally overgrown with plants.  In Texas, heavy is basically how we get it.  I am thinking a terrace may behave better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Heavy with stuff you don't want in your food.  Really you don''t want this stuff on your property.  America's lack of science education will make us even dumber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you'd complain about me disposing of my motor oil in a cat-hole, too! (I am jokingly referencing an ancient Popular Mechanics article showing how to do this)

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't read through any of the other replies, but a buddy made a pair out of old worn out rubber skidsteer tracks that he got from a mutual friend.  I thought it was pretty cool, but I realize that most of us don't have access to that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Concrete blocks are good; cinder blocks can apparently contain some heavy metals like mercury/arsenic (from the fly ash)

I'm curious if there are any affordable polymer/masonry based options, since that seems like could be both affordable and long lasting.  I am wanting to make a pair of two-tiered raised beds as a quasi hugelkultur thing.

One problem with hugels is they do NOT like heavy rain until totally overgrown with plants.  In Texas, heavy is basically how we get it.  I am thinking a terrace may behave better.
View Quote

"Man about tools" has like a dozen videos on casting concrete panels for raised beds.  He experiments with various forms, release coatings and cement/additive mixes in the various videos.

Copying some of his ideas is on my "to do" list... one of these days.  

ex:

make Thin CSA Concrete Garden Boxes PART 4 - cast garden forms

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was under the impression the stinky stuff railroad ties are treated with is not a good thing to be used with raised beds intended for food stuff?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can use the bales as a raised bed.  Takes a little bit of prep work, but they do work well.

Search online for a video or web page on it.  

I wouldn't use any pallet wood or used railroad ties for anything food related.  Too many nasty chemicals in that shite.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I didn't read through any of the other replies, but a buddy made a pair out of old worn out rubber skidsteer tracks that he got from a mutual friend.  I thought it was pretty cool, but I realize that most of us don't have access to that.
View Quote

Post #15

I bet more have access than you think of. Just have to ask the right people.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"Man about tools" has like a dozen videos on casting concrete panels for raised beds.  He experiments with various forms, release coatings and cement/additive mixes in the various videos.

ex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7jz96MDvyo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex:

My boxes are starting to rot out and will need to be moved for my proposed home addition.

These are a fantastic idea.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was under the impression the stinky stuff railroad ties are treated with is not a good thing to be used with raised beds intended for food stuff?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very much so.  Even getting creosote on your skin with any frequency is not a good idea; the stuff is basically composed of petroleum carcinogens.  That's why nothing can eat it when you put it in the dirt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ex:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex:

That's pretty slick; could even get fancy and add in drainage paths or even wiring provisions for lights.  I'd like to see a masonry guy's thoughts on the construction, simply because I've seen thin-cast concrete fail after a year or two (neighborhood sound barriers) when the mesh rusted & expanded.   If this is a decade-long solution, it seems perfect.  A lot of work, but that's a feature, not a bug.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#30]
aircrete (sack cement mix and perlite)
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#31]
If you have a saw mill near by you might be able to get what my local mill called thick and thin.  Along with cross ties that didn't meet standards to be finished out to be used as rail road ties.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's pretty slick; could even get fancy and add in drainage paths or even wiring provisions for lights.  I'd like to see a masonry guy's thoughts on the construction, simply because I've seen thin-cast concrete fail after a year or two (neighborhood sound barriers) when the mesh rusted & expanded.   If this is a decade-long solution, it seems perfect.  A lot of work, but that's a feature, not a bug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex:

I was actually thinking of making regular concrete ones. Not light weight ones.  Make them 3-4in thick so they’re tough.  Bend a piece of wire or rebar out the top as a carrying handle so I can move them with the tractor bucket or excavator and “place” them.

Or even form in pockets for forks to go into from the tractor that are also drain holes on the bottom.  

Now I’m thinking how I’m going to do this. Because I was just going to build my new beds out of landscaping blocks. But this seems to be a much better idea.  Also a great idea for small retaining walls.

I’m not super concerned about weight because if heavy equipment.  And if you don’t like the color, add dye to concrete.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I am using 50 gallon food grade material plastic barrels.Cut in half and placed in groups of four.several 3/8 inch holes drilled into the bottom for drainage(not too big of a hole so tunneling vermin like voles can't get in)They work nicely.Spreading wood chips between the barrel clusters keeps weeds from growing.
I get my barrels from work,I have about 40 now all in the process of being converted.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was actually thinking of making regular concrete ones. Not light weight ones.  Make them 3-4in thick so they’re tough.  Bend a piece of wire or rebar out the top as a carrying handle so I can move them with the tractor bucket or excavator and “place” them.

Or even form in pockets for forks to go into from the tractor that are also drain holes on the bottom.  

Now I’m thinking how I’m going to do this. Because I was just going to build my new beds out of landscaping blocks. But this seems to be a much better idea.  Also a great idea for small retaining walls.

I’m not super concerned about weight because if heavy equipment.  And if you don’t like the color, add dye to concrete.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex:

Just buy some Jersey barriers
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jerseys might be cost prohibitive but that gives me a good idea! Hesco barriers can be bought in fairly small sizes, IIRC around 30". If you can find them reasonably priced just expand them out, fill with soil, and done! Just as easy as the rubber tracks method.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex:

Local concrete company sells 1yard concrete blocks. They’re 4ft long, 2 feet wide, 2 feet thick.  $45 a piece.

I’d use those other then the fact I have to get my largest equipment out to move them.

Used them to make our manure pit.

We were increasing the size in this picture. It’s now 2 blocks high. And 20x20 ish.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

On a similar note, I can get 10' long (I think) concrete feed troughs at my local concrete batch plant for about $100.  They're heavy mofo's though and not nearly as modular as what you are talking about.

ETA: but I doubt they're as heavy as the concrete LEGO's that Foxtrot mentioned right above me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

On a similar note, I can get 10' long (I think) concrete feed troughs at my local concrete batch plant for about $100.  They're heavy mofo's though and not nearly as modular as what you are talking about.

ETA: but I doubt they're as heavy as the concrete LEGO's that Foxtrot mentioned right above me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those blocks are about 4000-4500lbs depending on the concrete mix / rebar / etc.  they’re poured from remains of large jobs.

Super cheap. Super heavy.  That chain is a stamped lifting chain for if I remember, 14,000lbs.  That excavator can lift one all the way extended towards the tracks.  With an additional counter weight we have, it can go to the side.

But yeah. They’re heavy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Those blocks are about 4000-4500lbs depending on the concrete mix / rebar / etc.  they’re poured from remains of large jobs.

Super cheap. Super heavy.  That chain is a stamped lifting chain for if I remember, 14,000lbs.  That excavator can lift one all the way extended towards the tracks.  With an additional counter weight we have, it can go to the side.

But yeah. They’re heavy.
View Quote

There are certainly variations but mine (2x2x6) come in around 3700 lb which more closely aligns with published density of concrete. Dad hauled 7 semi loads of 12 of them for me last summer...he ran a few over the scales to make sure he was under the limit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There are certainly variations but mine (2x2x6) come in around 3700 lb which more closely aligns with published density of concrete. Dad hauled 7 semi loads of 12 of them for me last summer...he ran a few over the scales to make sure he was under the limit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But yeah. They’re heavy.

I wouldn't call these ones... exactly... Square.

They're all sorts of iffy sizes.  Some of them are 4-6 inches taller than others.  

But hey! $45 - not complaining.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have done this and I recomend straw, hay did not break down as good as straw for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They're all sorts of iffy sizes.  Some of them are 4-6 inches taller than others.  

View Quote

I get mine for $25 and they sound a bit more uniform than yours, but still rough. It's my brother (3.5 hours from me) that really gets the best deal. He gets them for $10 each from a manufacturer of precast concrete beams. When they're done with a pour the professional finishers make blocks with the excess. They're perfectly uniform, perfectly smooth,  and made with the best concrete you can get. Lucky SOB.

Can't afford to haul them 7 hrs round trip though.

Not trashing your blocks, you get what you can get. Just throwing details out so you and others have an idea what these sell for around the country.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I get mine for $25 and they sound a bit more uniform than yours, but still rough. It's my brother (3.5 hours from me) that really gets the best deal. He gets them for $10 each from a manufacturer of precast concrete beams. When they're done with a pour the professional finishers make blocks with the excess. They're perfectly uniform, perfectly smooth,  and made with the best concrete you can get. Lucky SOB.

Not trashing your blocks, you get what you can get. Just throwing details out so you and others have an idea what these sell for around the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I’d say so. You get a deal.

For the uniform ones they want $75.

They also make more “decorated” ones that have a fake wall pattern on one side.  Those are $135.

Also I think your right. Mine are not 4ft long but 6ft ish.  Again very not uniform.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am using 50 gallon food grade material plastic barrels.Cut in half and placed in groups of four.several 3/8 inch holes drilled into the bottom for drainage(not too big of a hole so tunneling vermin like voles can't get in)They work nicely.Spreading wood chips between the barrel clusters keeps weeds from growing.
I get my barrels from work,I have about 40 now all in the process of being converted.
View Quote

We have plenty of used molasses tubs, which are the same thing. Plus they are easy to move with the forks on the skidsteer or tractor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They also make more “decorated” ones that have a fake wall pattern on one side.  Those are $135.

Also I think your right. Mine are not 4ft long but 6ft ish.  Again very not uniform.
View Quote

That's sad that they can't even manage to make them uniform...

I worked out bulk pricing bc they have a few thousand sitting there. Normal price is $40 each... and they let you pick and choose your blocks within reason, they aren't going to move bad ones out of the way to get good ones. My price on half-blocks (3 feet long) is $15 each.

I just need my dad to get back down here and haul another few loads. No way that can happen in this weather though. Sloppy here.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I worked out bulk pricing bc they have a few thousand sitting there. Normal price is $40 each... and they let you pick and choose your blocks within reason, they aren't going to move bad ones out of the way to get good ones. My price on half-blocks (3 feet long) is $15 each.

I just need my dad to get back down here and haul another few loads. No way that can happen in this weather though. Sloppy here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I’d just imagine they have a collection of forms they use, that were not made all the same.  Works for my purposes.  But if you can get uniform ones, 100% better.

My purpose of pushing cows shit into, they work fine. Just vary the depth. Measure and fit the best. When I used them for the base of a tarp barn, I had to saw cut the ends a bit to square them up.

100%, you get a steal.  Kudos my man.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Northern Tool, they have a few
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200746833_200746833
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#48]
We bought galvanized stock tanks, 6' long, 3 or 4' high, 2' across.  Have used them three years so far and they work very well.  Way cheaper too, I have $80 each into them.  I empty them and move them by hand or with my tractor.

BUT, I like the hay bale idea best so far.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Find out who maintains your local rr tracks.  Sometimes you can get the old ones they take out free if you pick them up at the work site.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Find out who maintains your local rr tracks.  Sometimes you can get the old ones they take out free if you pick them up at the work site.
View Quote

Again, super bad idea to use around anything food-related.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top