Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2019 10:00:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cstaalin]
Here in Wisconsin we have to put in yearly to get preference points and once you have enough its still a lottery system. This year I was lucky enough to draw a tag after 11 years in Zone B. We have family in northern Wisconsin who have been running Plots for bear hunting for more then 30 years so the choice was obvious for how I was going to get my bear. The dogs tracked this bear into a corn field. The dogs had him bayed in the corn field for 10 minutes. Then this guy took off running into the hardwoods and got him treed within 60 yards from the road. Once the dogs and backup shooters were ready he took a 165gr Accubond to the temple falling out of the tree dead.

250lb Boar

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C5e1187kkM3kHc1D6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3bru671DHqbREkq5
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!  How long is it taking to draw a tag these days?
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice! I'm at 9 points right now. I'm thinking next year I'll probably put in
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Very nice!  How long is it taking to draw a tag these days?
View Quote
Took me 11 years. Others are saying next year if you dont have 12 preference points or higher dont bother.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHunstman] [#5]
Nice! Going for my kill tag next year.

BTW why the head? Safety for the dogs or what?  They score by the skull so just curious not that its a trophy. Over 200lb and I'd tell them no way in the head if I'm doing any sort of mount.

Yup zone B is the hardest to get. 11-12 points should do it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cstaalin:

Took me 11 years. Others are saying next year if you dont have 12 preference points or higher dont bother.
View Quote
It depends on the zone too. Some are easier than others.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Holy crap!  It was five years last time I applied.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By huntsman2448:
Nice! Going for my kill tag next year.

BTW why the head? Safety for the dogs or what?  They score by the skull so just curious not that its a trophy. Over 200lb and I'd tell them no way in the head if I'm doing any sort of mount.

Yup zone B is the hardest to get. 11-12 points should do it.
View Quote
Yeah safety for the dogs. A bear with a vitals shot wont tree again and will fight while still alive. Unless you are using a 20 or 12 gauge the skull remains in tact. The entry hole from my .308 was even hard to find. The bullet exited the shoulder. With dogs you want to kill the bear with the first shot. As far as a mount goes unless you are doing a European mount they dont use the skull anyways in a full mount or shoulder mount.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:27:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dIIshoots] [#9]
Congrats that's a great bear and treed with Plotts!

Post some pics of the hounds if you can OP and maybe some more details.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Yeah safety for the dogs. A bear with a vitals shot wont tree again and will fight while still alive. Unless you are using a 20 or 12 gauge the skull remains in tact. The entry hole from my .308 was even hard to find. The bullet exited the shoulder. With dogs you want to kill the bear with the first shot. As far as a mount goes unless you are doing a European mount they dont use the skull anyways in a full mount or shoulder mount.
View Quote
Weird, I've seen several taken by heart/lung shots with dogs that just drop limp although the head shot does make more sense. We had one boy shoot a treed one in the head because he used a .243 this fall. Good to know it won't blast the skull open anyways.

A lot of guys keep the skulls even when doing a rug mount, etc...
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations!

Largest black bear I’ve ever seen was outside fort McCoy near tomah back in 2010. Ran right across the road in front of me and straight into a cranberry field.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top