Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2021 2:13:39 PM EDT
I’ve just moved and needing to set up some camera around the house. Previous owner had blink and I like the idea of a wireless setup. I called eufy and even tho they have on-site memory storage, you can’t access without their app(and internet access).

I’m wanting basically the wireless concept, to be able to get live feeds while away, but with the ability to have a physical monitor that can be connected so if I’m in the house and want to check a cam I don’t have to use my phone/app.

How would you go about this?

Thx
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
OST.

Tried Eufy with country Wifi, and kept loosing and had to resync.  Gave up as it would be pointless.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#2]
How wireless are you wanting? I have a wireless system with DVR that stores/views on-site and through an app. The cameras aren't truly wireless though. They require 12VDC to power the cameras. How far from the house are you placing the cameras?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How wireless are you wanting? I have a wireless system with DVR that stores/views on-site and through an app. The cameras aren't truly wireless though. They require 12VDC to power the cameras. How far from the house are you placing the cameras?
View Quote

They will be placed on/around the house. Eves of the house mainly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Ring cameras are pretty good.  Limited to HD only; no 4K yet.  You can run wire powered ones in the house and use the wireless (rechargeable battery packs) for outside. Get the app on your phone and you can get live views and motion alerts, too. No computer needed.

All this assuming you have internet at the location.

Edit: I see you may not have internet.  I run a Lorex 4K NVR system on my house.  No need for internet and you can hook it to a monitor, tv, etc.  Depending on your hard drive size, it can record considerable footage.  You can also set it to only record when motion is detected drastically increasing the look back period.  Live view is always available.  

My .02 cents.  Get an NVR setup with POE capabilities. If you need wireless, they have those, too, but they are more $$.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem with Ring, Arlo etc. is that being cloud based means that while you have the capability to turn your alarms on away from home and can view your home from you phone anywhere in the world, you are literally giving those companies 24/7 video and audio surveillance to the inside of your house. You have to make a cost/benefit analysis on these before bringing them into your home because if a cell phone company will spy on you with your camera and microphone, convert speech to text and datamine the shit out of it, anyone else with a camera and microphone in your house will too.

It all comes down to:

Do you want a video camera to document things that happened for viewing after the fact, or something that will alert you when you are gone?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a NEST Cam outside and I really like it.  I'm using an old iPAD as a monitor inside.  It works very well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
wireless sucks. cat6 is cheap pull it in, go POE and be done with it. while you are at it wire the rest of the house. wifi sucks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wireless sucks. cat6 is cheap pull it in, go POE and be done with it. while you are at it wire the rest of the house. wifi sucks.
View Quote

Exactly this.  I started with a cheap wireless system. I still needed to run power.  Then I kept loosing connection to individual cameras.  I then ran cat6 cable to each so I could do away with the wireless connection.
If I had to do it over again and knew what I knew now...I would of just bought a POE camera system and run the cable from the beginning.  If the nvr I have now fails then I will buy a full POE setup.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got some wyze cameras that were cheap and work really well. I have the TinyCam app on my chromebook and can load multiviews or single views. For the money the wyze cameras are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have several Nest cameras in and around my house.  They have a USB to AC adapter for power, but are wireless otherwise.  1080p streamed to the cloud and keeps 60 days (IIRC) of history, with access from any internet capable device (website).

I started with one and have added cameras as I found the need.  2  have come from my last house to my current one.  I have both indoor and outdoor cams.  Both work well.  I bought a tablet that stays on the Wifi with a browser link that has the homepage set to the Nest camera page, but rarely use it.  The thought was to put it next to the front door and display that camera view.  We almost always go to the phone in my pocket or nearby instead.

You can set notifications based on movement/sounds in the camera view or create specific zones to watch.

I also have the Nest Thermostat, which makes it nice for adjusting temp while away.  I connected a few of the remote sensors for the thermostat and also monitor the temps in my detatched garage and RV parked out back.  While the house AC does not cover those, it allows me to keep an eye out should either one have issues with their climate control system.

Each camera eats up about 5-6GB a day.  With 5 cameras, my system sends around 30GB/day for data upload, on the 1080p setting.  Need to have a decent internet connection and enough monthly data to cover that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to watch on a monitor, you will need some type of NVR to hub all the camera feeds and then you can output it to a monitor or TV.   My NVR has a HDMI and monitor VGA out.   VGA goes to my second computer monitor input.   The HDMI goes to a HDMI to CAT-6 transmitter out to two TV's in my house.   I just go to the input and boom I can see all my cameras.   Works very well.  I got tired of opening the app.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top