Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2019 7:28:06 PM EDT
I want to not freeze my ass off Snow and winter camping... What name brand clothing is good???

Layering Top and bottons...  I'm sure I can go out and buy what is recommended by sales people, but would like a heads up before going...

Anyone button up for snow camping???
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Years ago when I was into winter camping, snowmaching, etc.  I had the complete set of Northern Outfitters gear.

You could lay down and actually sleep on the snow, it was that insulating.  The only complaint I had with their gear was the boots, they fell apart after 5 years of use.

I gave the gear away except for the arctic mittens when I moved out of Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
What activities do you anticipate doing while camping.
That can have a huge influence on how you dress
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Patagonia, hate their politics, love their gear and the repair/replace warranty.

I save a ton of $ buying on their used site worn wear.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I have truck camped in the snow, Clothing were old long John's and levys...  T shirt, jacket vest and M-65 jacket with liner... Boots were old school gore tex style hunting...

Trying to minimal equipment weight for best protection and stay warm... Might  back pack in 20 feet to 100 yards to find a spot from vehicle... Want to learn and need to get out and try it... Just want to know what is being used...
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I want to not freeze my ass off Snow and winter camping... What name brand clothing is good???

Layering Top and bottons...  I'm sure I can go out and buy what is recommended by sales people, but would like a heads up before going...

Anyone button up for snow camping???
View Quote
Open your wallet wide, good gear costs money-you probably know that.

Layering is good, just make sure you can vent your sweat out. I’m big on soft shelled waterproof  coats and pants, what goes under them is less important. Brand isn’t that important either, if it isn’t made in China anymore, it’s made here with Chinese fabric. I have cheap soft shelled jackets i bought 6 or 7 years ago that are still mint and worn every day it’s cold here in MI.

I don’t fuck around with sleeping bags and pads though, spend money here if you skip out on everything else. Get a good insulated pad and a quality bag like Feathered Friends.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure what activities I will do, get set up and cut fire wood... Low activities, just want to get the feel of what works doing winter camping and not freeze and expand on that...
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Open your wallet wide, good gear costs money-you probably know that.

Layering is good, just make sure you can vent your sweat out. I’m big on soft shelled waterproof  coats and pants, what goes under them is less important. Brand isn’t that important either, if it isn’t made in China anymore, it’s made here with Chinese fabric. I have cheap soft shelled jackets i bought 6 or 7 years ago that are still mint and worn every day it’s cold here in MI.

I don’t fuck around with sleeping bags and pads though, spend money here if you skip out on everything else. Get a good insulated pad and a quality bag like Feathered Friends.
View Quote
I believe I have good equipment, the clothing is where I'm investing now... Whether the hiking part or just hanging by when your just chilling... I like to camp and thought it be fun to go also in the winter...
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Patagonia, hate their politics, love their gear and the repair/replace warranty.

I save a ton of $ buying on their used site worn wear.
View Quote
Will check...
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
This is all for active use (hiking, snowshoeing) except where specified.

For layering I have mostly Eastern Mountain Sports and Stoic, which is Backcountry’s store brand. I use a mix of synthetic and merino wool.

In all but the windiest weather or heavier precipitation I use a Mountain Hardwear fleece jacket as my outer layer because it breathes extremely well. After an hour or 2 of fast snowshoeing I’m covered with frost from sweat that was wicked through the fleece. I may give a softshell jacket a try this winter.

Hardshell jackets are only worn in extremely high winds or heavy snow. I have 2 EMS Thunderhead rain jackets that work well, an ALPS Mountaineering Nimbus rain jacket that’s also good, and a DCU ECWCS parka (1st gen, I think) if bushwhacking is on the agenda.

For insulation I like down, I have a Marmot Odin jacket (no hood) and 2 EMS Feather Pack jackets (one hooded, one not.) These are lightweight jackets like you’d use in summer in the mountains, but they’re perfect insulation when exerting yourself in deep subzero temps or when stopping for more than a few minutes in warmer temps. They’re all 800 fill power which is about the lowest you want to go for a good balance of weight and insulation, and the EMS jackets use DownTek treated down so getting wet from sweat or snow won’t render the down useless. For being sedentary in REALLY cold temps I have a Marmot Greenland baffled down parka, wearing that over just a T-shirt while setting fireworks off in wind chills around -40 on NYE had me almost too warm. Snowshoeing 100 yards or so out onto the lake had me sweating.

For pants I’ll either wear Patagonia nylon hiking pants, Patagonia nylon/softshell field pants, Cabela’s waterproof/breathable DryPlus pants, or one of 2 different pairs of TNF waterproof/breathable pants, all non-insulated. I’ve worn Cabela’s and EMS insulated pants but found them way too warm even well below zero. For ice fishing, snowmobiling, etc, they’d work well.

I like EMS gloves, I have 2 pairs of their Summit Ascent model for temps down to maybe -15F and a pair of Ganka expedition mittens that I use with GI mitten liners for colder temps. TNF Denali fleece gloves are my normal ones for down to around 10F or so.

Boots: Keen Koven Polar down to around 0-10F, Sorel Conquests for anything colder. Asolo Alta Via GV for more technical terrain, they start getting cold around 0.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is all for active use (hiking, snowshoeing) except where specified.

For layering I have mostly Eastern Mountain Sports and Stoic, which is Backcountry’s store brand. I use a mix of synthetic and merino wool.

In all but the windiest weather or heavier precipitation I use a Mountain Hardwear fleece jacket as my outer layer because it breathes extremely well. After an hour or 2 of fast snowshoeing I’m covered with frost from sweat that was wicked through the fleece. I may give a softshell jacket a try this winter.

Hardshell jackets are only worn in extremely high winds or heavy snow. I have 2 EMS Thunderhead rain jackets that work well, an ALPS Mountaineering Nimbus rain jacket that’s also good, and a DCU ECWCS parka (1st gen, I think) if bushwhacking is on the agenda.

For insulation I like down, I have a Marmot Odin jacket (no hood) and 2 EMS Feather Pack jackets (one hooded, one not.) These are lightweight jackets like you’d use in summer in the mountains, but they’re perfect insulation when exerting yourself in deep subzero temps or when stopping for more than a few minutes in warmer temps. They’re all 800 fill power which is about the lowest you want to go for a good balance of weight and insulation, and the EMS jackets use DownTek treated down so getting wet from sweat or snow won’t render the down useless. For being sedentary in REALLY cold temps I have a Marmot Greenland baffled down parka, wearing that over just a T-shirt while setting fireworks off in wind chills around -40 on NYE had me almost too warm. Snowshoeing 100 yards or so out onto the lake had me sweating.

For pants I’ll either wear Patagonia nylon hiking pants, Patagonia nylon/softshell field pants, Cabela’s waterproof/breathable DryPlus pants, or one of 2 different pairs of TNF waterproof/breathable pants, all non-insulated. I’ve worn Cabela’s and EMS insulated pants but found them way too warm even well below zero. For ice fishing, snowmobiling, etc, they’d work well.

I like EMS gloves, I have 2 pairs of their Summit Ascent model for temps down to maybe -15F and a pair of Ganka expedition mittens that I use with GI mitten liners for colder temps. TNF Denali fleece gloves are my normal ones for down to around 10F or so.

Boots: Keen Koven Polar down to around 0-10F, Sorel Conquests for anything colder. Asolo Alta Via GV for more technical terrain, they start getting cold around 0.
View Quote
Very helpfull...  Thank you... Bottoms are my main thinking...  Thanks for a good general direction everyone...
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The big things for varied activities is layering and ability to let moisture out while not letting too much in.  
I'd recommend a merino wool base layer, synthetic or down mid-layer, and a soft-shell outer (unless expecting heavy/damp snow or rain).

You don't want to be sweating when its cold, because as soon as you stop working, you will be wet and cold (dangerous!).

Inner layer: Smartwool or Minus33 seem to work well.  You could also go synthetic and use the military style "waffle" under layer.
Mid Layer: I use Columbia stuff I had laying around.  Most decent quality fleece will work OK.
Outer Layer: Something Gore-tex like seems to work.  Plenty of companies make them.  I prefer if they have armpit zips, personally.  For lowers, take a look at snowboarding gear like Burton pants.

For extreme cold, you need wicking (first layer), warming (mid layer), and weathering (outer layer)  You can add extra in there.  I'll sometimes go with wool long johns, normal cotton/poly pants, and a shell.  Upper body would be wool, then T-shirt, fleece, then shell.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Look at Wiggys.
https://www.wiggys.com/
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the key things in cold weather is moisture management. You need to keep wind and snow out but you also need to let out the moisture that your body generates. Along with this, you also need to block wind.

I like to have breathable insulating layers covered by a wind proof outer shell that also breathes. Gore-Tex is vastly overrated for breathability, especially below freezing. Below 32*F I prefer either a softshell outer layer or something like a British wind proof smock, or copy thereof.

For example, for an outer jacket something like the Sarma wind proof smock from Varusteleka. This will block the wind very well and allow your insulating layers underneath to retain the bubble of warm air around your body. I've similar smocks over fleece layers in snowstorms with 20 MPH winds while the ambient temp was in the 20s and was perfectly comfortable.

For my legs, I am a huge fan of the Level 5 softshell trousers from ORC Industries or Patagonia. They've kept my legs dry and warm while running my snowblower, participating in practical rifle matches, and sitting on a deer stand.

Before someone says, "cotton kills," it depends on the environment. A tightly woven cotton outer shell is excellent for cold, dry conditions. If it's above freezing and wet, cotton is a poor choice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m always hiking around the cabin during Christmas and into February. My go to outfits are Cabela’s MT050 along with Polartec and Smartwool.  Might still find some on EBay since Cabela’s stopped that line of clothing. I have several of the Cabela’s Windstopper outfits and sweaters too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
When ordering online, what clothes would you not order??? I would normally go to REI, good stuff but bad politics...

Edit: Sizing
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I recommend checking out Trailspace, there are reviews for thousands and thousands of pieces of clothing and gear all written by users.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When ordering online, what clothes would you not order??? I would normally go to REI, good stuff but bad politics...

Edit: Sizing
View Quote
I go to REI and try on the brands im looking at and make note of the sizes.

I wear a M in patagonia shirts but a S in jackets. Patagona seems to run long in the sleeves and short in the torso for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Note that most of the savvy people above have not mentioned cotton clothing in their responses.  Note that WELL.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I recommend checking out Trailspace, there are reviews for thousands and thousands of pieces of clothing and gear all written by users.
View Quote
Thanks for that link. Never heard of that site before.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I highly recommend the PCU level 7 jacket and pants.  They are readily available these days and I have a set I hunt with.  Sitting in a stand in 20 degree weather I wear a t-shirt or long sleeve silk weight top and I'm toasty.  They breathe enough you don't get cold when you decide to move and even though they look bulky they don't feel that way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Look at Wiggys.
View Quote
Wiggys has lots of good stuff.  Unfortunately, lots of their items are offered in obsolete ACU pattern camo.  I suggest contacting them--as I just did-- and requesting they offer items in more modern camo patterns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wiggys has lots of good stuff.  Unfortunately, lots of their items are offered in obsolete ACU pattern camo.  I suggest contacting them--as I just did-- and requesting they offer items in more modern camo patterns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at Wiggys.
Funny thing about them. I live across the state from them, say 4 hours in the Summer. But they will not ship in state and are closed on the weekends...
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]
How was your gear search, OP. Just a bump now that cold weather is nearly upon us.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How was your gear search, OP. Just a bump now that cold weather is nearly upon us.
View Quote
not in georgia
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

not in georgia
View Quote
That's nice.
I seem to recall that GA in March is pretty chilly.
The rest of the country is not the deep South, and it's already showing in some areas. I thought it was a timely bump
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's nice.
The rest of the country is not the deep South, and it's already showing in some areas. I thought it was a timely bump
View Quote
It’s not nice! It fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It’s not nice! It fucking sucks.
View Quote
Then, why are you there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Then, why are you there.
View Quote
A hot free state is better than a cooler state behind enemy lines. If climate was the only consideration I'd be in northern California or Hawaii.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's nice.
View Quote
It is and that's why it's important to understand one's location as the "cold weather" can be vastly different where temperature isn't as relevant.  I've been more comfortable in single digits when it's a dry cold.  Here in GA, I've found the humidity really impacts the feel of colder weather.  I'm somewhat middle GA, way over on the East side of the state.  Temps are rarely below 20 degrees and if they do drop to those lows, it's only at night and warms up considerably during the day. Cold spells only last a few days to a week, so you could see lows in the teens and the next week, highs in the 70's.  The killer is the humidity.  If it's cold and humid, it just like being cold and wet; it really sucks.

Another factor is elevation.  I've found temps about 10 degrees cooler when up in the mountains in GA; it's more severe when you start talking over 4000 feet (like out West).  When you're planning on backpacking and minimizing your pack weight, it's important to understand the impacts of precipitation, condensation, wind-chill, shade, elevation, conduction/convection.  A few mistakes is planning for current temp forecasts and finding out temps could and have been 15-degrees cooler than planned; makes for some very uncomfortable nights.

These conditions also affect clothing choices as you need to focus even more on breathability, fast-drying layers, and insulation that can handle the dampness caused by the humidity.

For the OP, if you're planning on spending more time around an open fire, don't discount wool and waxed/oiled cotton.  They will fair better with embers than most synthetic insulation or outwear.  They aren't my first for backpacking, but find for truck-camping or doing more stationary activities where pack-weight isn't as much a factor.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I try to remember 2 important things. They aren't the only things, but they help.

1. Cotton is rotten.
2. Sweat kills.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Man, i just started a thread like this in GD.

The consensus so far is that there's nothing cheap that will be breathable and weather resistant...
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The consensus so far is that there's nothing cheap that will be breathable and weather resistant...
View Quote
You just have to know where to shop, and not think you’re gonna score something on par with Arcteryx or Outdoor Research for $10. Try Steep and Cheap, Geartrade, eBay (only if you know exactly what you want), CL, and the EE here. REI and EMS have really good gear for less than the top tier stuff.

What are you looking for?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You just have to know where to shop, and not think you’re gonna score something on par with Arcteryx or Outdoor Research for $10. Try Steep and Cheap, Geartrade, eBay (only if you know exactly what you want), CL, and the EE here. REI and EMS have really good gear for less than the top tier stuff.

What are you looking for?
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Can-someone-explain-the-ECWS-garmets-to-me-/5-2259893/?page=1
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#35]
For really cold, you cannot beat Canada Goose. I have used them for 10 years or more.  They are expensive, but I bought the ones I have off of ebay used etc...  They are built like a tank.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's accurate.  There are just too many factors such as environment, humidity, wind, elevation, your activity level, precipitation type, etc.  I read your post and you want something cheap that's water resistant/proof, and tough.  Surplus is about as good as you'll find, but it's not going to have perfect performance; there's no magic, cheap clothing...you have to manage the performance of your layers, they won't automatically adjust to your activities, environment, and uses.

I backpack.  I have high-end backpack clothing.  It's a constant battle of thermoregulation and moisture management; you're going to get wet from the outside and the inside if doing high-exertion activities with precipitation.  I don't camp often, I backpack.  Camping is a leisure activity where you typically aren't backpacking in your gear or if you do, it's a short distance, most of your activity level is static and sitting around an open fire.  Go with a quality surplus shell and wool in cold weather.  The issue for me is that I have to manage my thermoregulation and moisture-issues without a fire, it's not something I depend on, and the lightweight, synthetic clothing isn't the best option around open fires spitting out embers and sparks.

My strategy over the years has been the use of quick drying/wicking base layers and some type of soft-shell or wind shirt.  I would rather stay on the edge of cold and dry, but if I get wet (which I do often if backpacking), I want my clothing to dry as quickly as possible.  Something as simple as the issued soft-shell jacket isn't warm, but provides good wind protection and light precipitation resistance.  If it's raining hard, I typically stop and take cover; if raining/snowing moderately, I will put a hard shell on during breaks and put on some insulation as my body cools down.  If active, the layering concept works well, but still requires disciplined use and understanding your bodies metabolic functions.

Again, if you're just hanging out at a camp site, get a good (cheap at a quality Goodwill or second hand clothing store/Ebay) wool mid layer, a hard-shell for serious rain and any surplus soft-shell or Gore-Tex shell for collecting firewood for anything in less than moderate precipitation.  It's not rocket science and it doesn't need to break your bank account, but there's a certain level of expectation management and user-discipline for both thermoregulation and moisture management.  People get cold even in high-end gear because they are not hydrated which slows blood circulation, their metabolism is slower or they need caloric intake to generate body heat, or they simply need to get a little active to get the blood flowing.

Even the most expensive water-resistant/breathable membrane jacket will lose their DWR coating after repeated use/laundering.  Once they lose their DWR, they will wet-out and depending on the weather/humidity conditions, your body heat will not overcome that vapor barrier and you will get wet on the inside.  Much of the performance of synthetic membranes clothing is to understand their care and maintenance.

Also, many neglect cleaning their clothes (and sleeping bags/quilts).  Body oils, dirt, grime, dried salt from perspiration, etc. will significantly degrade any clothing's performance whether it's quick drying, wicking, water resistance, or breathability.  As outer clothing lose any type of breathability, they trap moisture and heat causing one's body to sweat, and dirty mid-layer insulation loses its insulative and quick drying properties.  That's where hypothermia disasters get started even without some catastrophic scenario.

The more time you spend in the field or outdoors, the more often you'll find yourself wet and dirty.  How you manage the layering of your clothing, keeping them clean, and drying them at any opportunity along with having a shelter/sleep system or spare layers handy is how you manage your thermoregulation and moisture (perspiration and precipitation) challenges.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 3:45:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Also, many neglect cleaning their clothes (and sleeping bags/quilts).  Body oils, dirt, grime, dried salt from perspiration, etc. will significantly degrade any clothing's performance whether it's quick drying, wicking, water resistance, or breathability.  As outer clothing lose any type of breathability, they trap moisture and heat causing one's body to sweat, and dirty mid-layer insulation loses its insulative and quick drying properties.  That's where hypothermia disasters get started even without some catastrophic scenario.

The more time you spend in the field or outdoors, the more often you'll find yourself wet and dirty.  How you manage the layering of your clothing, keeping them clean, and drying them at any opportunity along with having a shelter/sleep system or spare layers handy is how you manage your thermoregulation and moisture (perspiration and precipitation) challenges.

ROCK6
View Quote
I get there being a certain aspect of hiker trash while you're in the field, but I can't imagine people who don't clean themselves and their gear once they're in a place where they can do so.
Well, I do know trailer trash type people who don't practice good hygiene, but I'm talking outdoors types.
Just sees...yuck. Clean yourselves and your gear, people.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I get there being a certain aspect of hiker trash while you're in the field, but I can't imagine people who don't clean themselves and their gear once they're in a place where they can do so.
Well, I do know trailer trash type people who don't practice good hygiene, but I'm talking outdoors types.
Just sees...yuck. Clean yourselves and your gear, people.....
View Quote
On the trail, you'd be surprised (and disgusted).  I'm pretty anal about it.  There are enough real-world cases studies on how poor hygiene and sanitation practices would wipe out entre units.  It's not just about smelling and looking funky, it's about staying healthy and not degrading your immune system or exposing your body to bacterial or virus infections.

When I'm backpacking, I pretty much have one set of clothes.  I make a concerted effort to wash my primary clothing at least every other day.  If you include cold weather, dirty, sweaty clothes will show how poorly they insulate and compound the issues of staying dry.

There are some funky people on the trail and there's really no reason; it's simply effort, discipline, and a small desire not to look and smell like shit.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

On the trail, you'd be surprised (and disgusted).  I'm pretty anal about it.  There are enough real-world cases studies on how poor hygiene and sanitation practices would wipe out entre units.  It's not just about smelling and looking funky, it's about staying healthy and not degrading your immune system or exposing your body to bacterial or virus infections.

When I'm backpacking, I pretty much have one set of clothes.  I make a concerted effort to wash my primary clothing at least every other day.  If you include cold weather, dirty, sweaty clothes will show how poorly they insulate and compound the issues of staying dry.

There are some funky people on the trail and there's really no reason; it's simply effort, discipline, and a small desire not to look and smell like shit.

ROCK6
View Quote
Personal hygiene is a subject seldom discussed, but worth discussion.  The Mil, having centuries of "Camp Diseases" frequently killing more people in camp than in battle, have developed some reasonable and prudent practices on this score.  Most of this involves keeping clean, and not drinking unpurified/un-boiled water.

In way of discussion, up till WW II, most US mil casualties in wartime, were due to illness, and not to enemy action.  It is true that various "miracle" drugs became available to the Allies (at least) at the outset of WW 2, but proper personal hygiene and overall camp cleanliness obviously played a part in the serious reduction of the previously devastating "Camp Diseases" during WW 2.

It is fair to mention that many US troops were inoculated against common diseases after they were drafted into the Mil.  This is still the case, AFAIK.  This inoculation must be considered in considering the historically low loss of US troops to "Camp Diseases" during WW 2, and afterwards.

So, keep yourself clean, and launder your clothes.  Burn your trash, if you can, and carry away the remnants.  LEAVE NO TRACE of your passage.

Besides this practice being ecologically responsible, it is also good tactical practice. Leave no way that the enemy can track you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Personal hygiene is a subject seldom discussed, but worth discussion.  The Mil, having centuries of "Camp Diseases" frequently killing more people in camp than in battle, have developed some reasonable and prudent practices on this score.  Most of this involves keeping clean, and not drinking unpurified/un-boiled water.

In way of discussion, up till WW II, most US mil casualties in wartime, were due to illness, and not to enemy action.  It is true that various "miracle" drugs became available to the Allies (at least) at the outset of WW 2, but proper personal hygiene and overall camp cleanliness obviously played a part in the serious reduction of the previously devastating "Camp Diseases" during WW 2.

It is fair to mention that many US troops were inoculated against common diseases after they were drafted into the Mil.  This is still the case, AFAIK.  This inoculation must be considered in considering the historically low loss of US troops to "Camp Diseases" during WW 2, and afterwards.

So, keep yourself clean, and launder your clothes.  Burn your trash, if you can, and carry away the remnants.  LEAVE NO TRACE of your passage.

Besides this practice being ecologically responsible, it is also good tactical practice. Leave no way that the enemy can track you.
View Quote
It's been ten years since my deployment, but we were given a slew of shots as well as a daily doxycycline pill for in-country consumption. Not to mention the medical screenings during mob prep to deal with any preexisting medical issues before we got to the sandbox.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have the layering now... Bottoms and and upper, just need a better jacket... Couple things need testing and tuning... Like relying the wool underwear and pants vs. insulated bottoms...  I plan to have both... Trying to spend good money on things, but of course can't get Sitka prices yet... Got the hammock also now... Just need to get my ass out and refine my needs... I can tell it's like a weapons system, you end up with several styles for the conditions...

Thanks for asking...
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#42]
For the OP, if you're planning on spending more time around an open fire, don't discount wool and waxed/oiled cotton. They will fair better with embers than most synthetic insulation or outwear. They aren't my first for backpacking, but find for truck-camping or doing more stationary activities where pack-weight isn't as much a factor.

ROCK6

Going to try to get up to a couple miles hiking in, nothing more at moment. Gathering wood, water source and chilling is my start... Extend my boundries I hope...
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Note that most of the savvy people above have not mentioned cotton clothing in their responses.  Note that WELL.
View Quote
Aren’t my  military overwhites cotton?

Yea, I am pretty old too.  I have the quilted pants liners but the asbestos ones were warmer.   Now if I could only find the old 1951 wool shirts in size fat bastard.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A hot free state is better than a cooler state behind enemy lines. If climate was the only consideration I'd be in northern California or Hawaii.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then, why are you there.
My sister is in Ca and has about three feet of snow.   Local landmark is called Donner Pass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top