Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2022 9:30:39 AM EDT
My wife and I are planning to head up to the Wind River Range for some backpacking next week. I'm looking for a good 4 day loop hike, don't want it to be too crazy in terms of mileage 6 - 10 miles per day would be good. I love backcountry fly fishing so if there's any lakes that stand out for trout that would be good.

Right now I'm considering a loop that includes Marm's Lake, Shadow Lake, and the popular Cirque of the Towers, however I know the Cirque  hardly be secluded so something similarly beautiful but off the beaten path might be better.  Anyone hiked the Winds before? Any recommendations for good backpacking loops there? I've also thought about Titcomb basin, but that appears too be more of an out and back.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty good loop for that span of time.  Good choice.  

From Sadow, you can drop by Lizard Head, or through Texas Pass.  Via Lizard Head is standard trail.  Texas Pass is straight forward, but you'll be with/without trail off and on, and will probably do some bushwhacking down to Lonesome Lake.  Despite the potential for being off trail and stuff, I'd recommend dropping in from Texas Pass, as the view is spectacular.  Bring microspikes, trekking poles.

If you have the time, an additional loop of Black Joe - East Temple - Deep Lake - Clear Lake is worthwhile.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
So we were planning on heading up there tomorrow, but fortunately checked the trail report from an outdoor shop in Pinedale, and it looks like everything up there past Big Sandy lake is still under a lot of snow, and much of the trails may not be melted out for a few more weeks.  I corroborated this with Sentinel satellite imagery from a few days ago, and it looked very snowy around all the high areas of the Wind River still. So change of plans, since postholing for miles is overrated, we're going to head south to the South San Juan Wilderness, which is mostly melted out by now.

We contemplated heading up there anyway and doing a lower loop around the Boulder Lake Trailhead, but that area didn't look that amazing, until you got into the still snowed under Alpine. I'm kind of bummed, as I was really looking forward to the Winds, but it'll have to wait for another year, and the San Juans are always nice, and this will be a new area for me to explore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top