Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2019 8:36:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I would find a way to carry the filter and a couple bladders or filter into bottles.  You never know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve used the heck out of my steripen in our high country, no issues.  Older model with 4 AAs.  UV light is well known for purification.    That said, I drank a lot of untreated water before I got this thing. I got giardiasis once, so I got this.

I’ll probably still get a good small filter next.  I worry about relying on an electric device, and I’ve always wondered about contaminated water on the mouth of my “treatment” bottle.

I still drink untreated from sources like this old pipe spring.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That giardia didn’t show till I had been back 10 days.  Out of nowhere, the worst stomach kinda flu you ever had.  Doc caught it and put me on flagyl, I think.  Cleared it right up.

I guess the steripen works, I’m only drawing clear water.  And I drank a lot of untreated in my days, only got sick once, but that was enough.

A filter would work.  Probably a bit slower, but I’m rarely in a hurry anymore.    Unless I hear bugles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Steripen but to be honest I've never used it (friend didn't want it anymore). I used to use a Katadyn but pumping fucking sucks. I do weeklong backcountry trips and swear by the Sawyer Mini for en route refills and a Platypus gravity filter for camp.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The gravity is the way, but it’s not lightweight at all.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#8]
How about a Sawyer screwed onto a Smart water bottle? They're light and inexpensive...
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the large Sawyer filter. Works great, easy to back flush using a flip top Smart water bottle, just don't let it freeze.

I prefer filters over UV light, because I hate drinking particulates and leaf litter. I'd end up pre-filtering anyway, so I just use the filter.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gravity is the way, but it's not lightweight at all.
View Quote
My 4L is only about 11oz. That's pretty light figuring the amount and speed at which it can filter. I think for a small family it'd be a hell of a lot easier than trying to filter all that water with a Sawyer or pen. Liters in minutes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If you ignore the price per liter the only light weight option for me is the Grayl.  It also takes care of viruses.  Its a bottle and purifier all in one.  No more carrying seperate items that weigh more.

https://thegrayl.com/collections/purifier-bottles/products/ultralight-purifier-black

Their new Geopress will be even better.

https://thegrayl.com/pages/geopress-release
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]
If your water sources don't have a lot of particulate matter or funky smells, the Steripen is fine.  For the price, weight, and performance, I would have everyone carry their own Sawyer Mini and squeeze pouch.  For a family on the move, a quality pump like the Katadyn is a good solution.  For base camps or hanging out at a fishing lake, a gravity setup is far more efficient.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Why bother using the Steripen on cooking water?  Boiling it kills the nasties.

I always use a filter.  I don't have experience with the Steripen, but having to rely on a solar charger to get clean water isn't a good plan for me.  I would choose Micropur tablets if I didn't want the weight of the filter.  I have experience with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stick with the pocket filter.
View Quote
It's heavy, but it will last forever.

I was genuinely surprised at how clean the water was when we had to use it.  In particular on some silty streams.

The UV pens are nice, but I'd want a filter too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd stick with the Katadyn Pocket. I've used mine for many years from Desert Shield/Storm till now. Never had a problem with it. It's just slow and hard to pump. Oh, and heavy. I still carry it and I recently purchased a Sawyer All in One. I've got a steri-pen and MSR Miox but the filters seem to have less moving parts and stuff to break. For camping, we use a Big Berkey. Hell, at home we use the Berkey. My wife has it on the kitchen counter and swears by it. We use it every day. Enough that I now have two. I like the ceramic filters because you don't need batteries, salt or anything other than pumping or gravity. And an occasional cleaning.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both....  My Katadyn is an older ceramic filter unit....

When in wilderness I use the Katadyn.  I like the fact that I am physically  removing the little  bits, pieces, junk and bugs.  The filter removes all the cysts, worms, bacteria and parasites.  It will not remove viruses, but apparently the viruses have a tendency to be stuck to the larger bits and pieces.  And viruses aren't generally a bit issue "in the wilderness".

The Steripen I tend to take when traveling in populated areas.  The water from the tap looks okay, but its often not something you want to drink in Mexico or the phillipines.  Use the tap to fill the Nalgene, zap it with the pen.....

If its truly ugly (water wise), as in a mission trip to Nicaragua, I use both.  The filter removes the big turds, the Steripen kills the little cooties the filter doesn't get.  Some of these places still have major outbreaks of water-borne disease.  Going to India?  Take both.....

If I'm hiking the Adirondacks or out west in the Rockies, I feel pretty comfortable with the ceramic filter
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How about a Sawyer screwed onto a Smart water bottle? They're light and inexpensive...
View Quote
LifeStraw on sale at Walmart:
Walmart
BrickSeek

At a local store it is on the shelf at $29.98 but shows $15 in the Walmart app and rings up at $15.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The gravity is the way, but it’s not lightweight at all.
View Quote
I just received my new Sawyer Micro Squeeze in the mail today. With the included 32 oz bag, the filter, cleaning adapter,  and a 1 liter smartwater bottle, the entire kit weighs 4.3 oz.

I used a paper hole punch to make holes in the bag to hang it via string and clip to put around branches. The smart water bottle screws into the bottom to catch clean water. It takes 10 seconds to set up and filters a liter in a few minutes. Way easier than pumping or squeezing.

I keep a smart water sport cap on the filter so I can squeeze into my mouth also. The pop cap sucks and you have to use your dirty fingers to pop it.

Steri-pens are asking for trouble. Drinking sterilized shit is still drinking shit. A proper filter removes the particulates that could carry and protect nasty bugs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just received my new Sawyer Micro Squeeze in the mail today. With the included 32 oz bag, the filter, cleaning adapter,  and a 1 liter smartwater bottle, the entire kit weighs 4.3 oz.

I used a paper hole punch to make holes in the bag to hang it via string and clip to put around branches. The smart water bottle screws into the bottom to catch clean water. It takes 10 seconds to set up and filters a liter in a few minutes. Way easier than pumping or squeezing.

I keep a smart water sport cap on the filter so I can squeeze into my mouth also. The pop cap sucks and you have to use your dirty fingers to pop it.

Steri-pens are asking for trouble. Drinking sterilized shit is still drinking shit. A proper filter removes the particulates that could carry and protect nasty bugs.
View Quote
Thanks for the mini review...I recently saw these and was curious.  It shaves a couple ounces and smaller size, so it may be a future upgrade if they work as advertised.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the mini review...I recently saw these and was curious.  It shaves a couple ounces and smaller size, so it may be a future upgrade if they work as advertised.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6
I posted pictures on bcusa. The entire hanging gravity set up takes seconds to deploy. I put a tiny carabiner on one end of the cord so you can put it over a branch in a few seconds.

In my get home kit I have the 32 oz dirty bag, one clean smart water 1 liter bottle, and one dirty SW 1 liter bottle is always available. I drink smart water so I always have several bottles around my rental car and hotel. I can expand capacity as easy as finding an empty 2 liter pop bottle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#22]
@batmanacw

Is there much of a flow rate difference in the new micro? The mini seemed to be only half as efficient as the original.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@batmanacw

Is there much of a flow rate difference in the new micro? The mini seemed to be only half as efficient as the original.
View Quote
I haven't used mine yet. The micro squeeze is supposed to be nearly as good as the squeeze but better than the mini.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I haven't used mine yet. The micro squeeze is supposed to be nearly as good as the squeeze but better than the mini.
View Quote
@batmanacw, keep us updated.  I'll be home in a few weeks and may consider one for a trip.  I know some have had bad luck with these hollow-fiber/capillary type filters.  They're not infallible and they do require attention.  Back-flushing is prudent maintenance during use.  Cleaning with a chlorine-based or vinegar solution after lengthy use and before storage is highly recommended; and I also wet and test-run before taking them on a trip.  Despite their billion-gallon guarantee, their performance and lifespan depends much on the amount of use, quality of water, and level of maintenance applied.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Katadyn may be big, heavy, and slow to pump but it’s the more proven and bombproof option.  If I knew I was going to be drinking from from questionable sources and could only pick one it would be the katadyn.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry, but nothing beats a good filter. You could get your wife and kid a lifestraw and attach to a 20oz bottle as needed.

It takes a lot of exposure to get Giardia, I got it as well after drinking untreated water for a week in the 80s. I now filter everything and boil a lot, including already filtered water.

My katadyn hiker pro is very fast.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
People are welcome to use what they wish but no way in hell am I trusting a light bulb to make my drinking water safe.

I got to see a lot of different filters in the scouts. I have been most happy with my Sweetwater Guardian. Although filters are expensive and getting a little harder to find. I'm not sure what changed hands or so on from the business angle.

Might have to switch filters which would be a bummer. This thing makes water taste better than any bottled or tap water I've had. The charcoal, I think.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I prefer carrying iodine. I don't mind the taste.

ETA: I carry a bottle of liquid with a dropper, not pills.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Katadyn...no batteries needed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Katydyn gravity flow or pump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top