User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some years ago I knew a guy who made a couple QSO's from southern IN to europe....having tuned up a lawn chair.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some years ago I knew a guy who made a couple QSO's from southern IN to europe....having tuned up a lawn chair.

See "Aerials II" aka "Aerials of the Absurd" by Kurt N Sterba and Lil Paddle. Lawn chairs, window screens, bed springs, patio umbrellas, all there and more.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

See "Aerials II" aka "Aerials of the Absurd" by Kurt N Sterba and Lil Paddle. Lawn chairs, window screens, bed springs, patio umbrellas, all there and more.
Rob
View Quote

I don't know why it amuses me so, but it does.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't know why it amuses me so, but it does.
View Quote

@Emoto
True story by the author, He did an aerials (antennas) column for "World Radio" in the 80's and, I think, got tired of people complaining how they couldn't get on the air. His main thrust was antenna theory for ham ops. A bunch of those short antenna were used on 10m and probably at the height of the sun spot cycle. He did a bunch of good getting antenna theory out to the average ham over the years.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lawn chairs, roofing flashing, chain link fence etc. have all been used for antennas. I knew a guy years ago that lived in an RV & would tune up any nearby light pole, flag pole, or fence to get on the air wherever he parked. Efficient no, useable yes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top