Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2021 10:15:24 PM EDT
I am currently running a IC-7300 and MFJ-949E tuner with a 1:1 external balun. The antenna is a 110' doublet fed with 450 ohm twin lead.  Currently I can tune 160 through 6 on this antenna and it works very well on 80 through 12.

I am looking to add a 1.2KW to 1.5KW amplifier.  What high power tuner has a similar matching range as the 949?

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you seriously not even bother to crack the MFJ catalog?

The 962, the 989, the 986...the list goes on...
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 986 model. With the roller inductor and differential capacitor, it matches over a wide range and there's only two knobs to adjust.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you seriously not even bother to crack the MFJ catalog?

The 962, the 989, the 986...the list goes on...
View Quote

Yes, I looked in the catalog.  The auto tuners have a matching range listed, from what I have found the manual tuners do not.  I was looking for someone who has run both the 949 and a higher power tuner.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have the 986 model. With the roller inductor and differential capacitor, it matches over a wide range and there's only two knobs to adjust.
View Quote

I have looked at the 986.  How does its matching range compare to the 949?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#5]
With some exceptions, most notably the tuner you currently own, the impedance matching range of MFJ tuners is listed in the tuner manual. So you have to crack the manual for each tuner. Luckily MFJ makes them freely available on their website.

Your best bet is the 989 by far.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Palstar AT2K. Palstar site Shop around for price.
Rob

ETA: Ham Radio Outlet in Denver shows in stock but low.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Palstar AT2K: 15-1500 Ohms

MFJ-989: 6.5-3200 Ohms.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
a kilowatt and largely mismatched antenna impeadance is a recipe for trouble

you’ll be miles ahead improving your antenna instead

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have looked at the 986.  How does its matching range compare to the 949?
View Quote

I don't know, it just works. My fan dipole can get insanely high on bands it's not cut for, so high the SWR meter pegs out. I'd estimate 8 to 10:1.
While I don't have a 949, I do have an old 941D, which is basically the same matching circuit. The bells and whistles are different, though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the Cobra Senior and Cobra Junior Ultralite antennas, made by K1JEK.

On the senior antenna, with a TL-922A amp and the TS-990s radio, I use a Palstar AT2KD tuner.
I am able to tune 10-160M with no issue and the amp puts out around 800W as it's only pulling 110V.

On the Junior antenna, I use the Yaesu FTDX-10 and run a Palstar AT500 tuner and have no problem with tuning.
Currently running 100W, but that will change when and if Elecraft gets my KPA500 too me.

The only MFJ tuner I have left is the 300W MFJ-993B.

The others, the 986 and the 949D died by gunfire after one self destructed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the replies!

I appreciate the advice.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m not a fan of anything MFJ, but I picked up a used 989C and it works just fine tuning my 40 meter EFHW on all bands but 160. I typically run 800-1200 watts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

This is a viable option.  Check Fleabay.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

On the senior antenna, with a TL-922A amp and the TS-990s radio, I use a Palstar AT2KD tuner.
I am able to tune 10-160M with no issue and the amp puts out around 800W as it's only pulling 110V.

On the Junior antenna, I use the Yaesu FTDX-10 and run a Palstar AT500 tuner and have no problem with tuning.
Currently running 100W, but that will change when and if Elecraft gets my KPA500 too me.

View Quote

Newbie question: I see that some of the antenna tuners have a wattage rating. What is the purpose of that? Is the tuner acting as an amplifier to the transmitter's signal?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#15]

I just bought one of those locally for $50

Now I have 2 of them

The idea is to make a balanced tuner with the parts, but now I am not sure I should part them out
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Newbie question: I see that some of the antenna tuners have a wattage rating. What is the purpose of that? Is the tuner acting as an amplifier to the transmitter's signal?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

about the maximum power you can put into it and not have it arc the capacitors, although for most of the ratings, you can still do it if you match at the wrong spot, it needs to be the least inductance match, you can get more than one solution for a match but the others may create much higher voltages.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is a tutorial on tuning the "T" match antenna tuner. Tuning the T network tuner for best efficiency.
Rob
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#18]
An additional way to minimize tuner losses is to use a really big tuner with a really big inductor.

But I am not sure how much the difference is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^^^THIS^^^^

Also, you'll have a hard time finding a new tuner for sale. Just about all sellers are sold out.
My buddy was at HRO in Atlanta today. Their shelves are nearly empty. They have less than 10% of normal inventory.

Find a manual tuner. Most likely it'll be more efficient and will have several output options (like balanced line and long wire).
Relying on a tuner with extreme tuning ranges is a poor choice. A tuner won't make a crappy antenna perform better but I'm not going to keep repeating this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

^^^^THIS^^^^

Also, you'll have a hard time finding a new tuner for sale. Just about all sellers are sold out.
My buddy was at HRO in Atlanta today. Their shelves are nearly empty. They have less than 10% of normal inventory.

Find a manual tuner. Most likely it'll be more efficient and will have several output options (like balanced line and long wire).
Relying on a tuner with extreme tuning ranges is a poor choice. A tuner won't make a crappy antenna perform better but I'm not going to keep repeating this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^THIS^^^^

Sure it will.

A tuner will very much make a crappy antenna shine, assuming you are using balanced line ( the more open the better like 600 ohm ladder line )  and not coax
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

not really. I tune about a 9:1 mismatch just fine.

As long as you use balanced line and not coax, and a big coil tuner rated for a lot of power, and you tune it properly,  the losses are small.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sure it will.

A tuner will very much make a crappy antenna shine, assuming you are using balanced line ( the more open the better like 600 ohm ladder line )  and not coax
View Quote

It depends on what we define as a crappy antenna. You can't connect a tuner to a 20m dipole or a 30 ft long wire at 15 ft above ground and make it "shine" on 160 meters. But again, we need to define what "shine" means.
I wish I had a dollar each time I've seem people try to do this and then complain that their tuner can't tune it. I've seen a guy connect 2 tuners in series to make his crappy antenna work and the tuners did tune but he couldn't understand why no one could hear him.

Many new hams think that as long as their tuner can tune, they are good to go and their antenna works. 99% of them use regular 50 Ohm coax and keep the tuner next to the radio.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It depends on what we define as a crappy antenna. You can't connect a tuner to a 20m dipole or a 30 ft long wire at 15 ft above ground and make it "shine" on 160 meters. But again, we need to define what "shine" means.
I wish I had a dollar each time I've seem people try to do this and then complain that their tuner can't tune it. I've seen a guy connect 2 tuners in series to make his crappy antenna work and the tuners did tune but he couldn't understand why no one could hear him.

Many new hams think that as long as their tuner can tune, they are good to go and their antenna works. 99% of them use regular 50 Ohm coax and keep the tuner next to the radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it will.

very good point

I was assuming a long non-resonant antenna with a high SWR

Not a lawn chair or a short vertical

Shine meaning efficient even with a high SWR
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...Shine meaning efficient even with a high SWR
View Quote

In my mind, . . . "efficient" means resonant with low SWR, like a tuned dipole.

which means you don't need an antenna tuner.

"antenna tuner" should really be called " Impedance matcher "
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Back again, Here is a discussion on SWR readings, antenna tuning and the conjugate match I alluded to earlier. Taken with some faith it will clear up some misconceptions. It's on QRZ.com amd dates back to 2010. Pay attention to posts by the author, KL7AJ, W5DXP, and W8JI. I belieive Walt Maxwell, W2DU himself chimes in later. The whole thing is entertaining and informative.
Rob
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Shine meaning efficient even with a high SWR

for a coax fed antenna, that is true, because the majority of the loss is due to heat generated in the coax with high SWR. Open line has no such loss.

Using open line, even a non-resonant antenna with a high SWR can be efficient.if done properly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Back again, Here is a discussion on SWR readings, antenna tuning and the conjugate match I alluded to earlier. Taken with some faith it will clear up some misconceptions. It's on QRZ.com amd dates back to 2010. Pay attention to posts by the author, KL7AJ, W5DXP, and W8JI. I belieive Walt Maxwell, W2DU himself chimes in later. The whole thing is entertaining and informative.
Rob
View Quote

when I get time, I will read that, thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Rob
View Quote

Eric, KL7AJ, has written an excellent book on the various modes of propagation. It's very informative and well worth reading, especially if you're into DX. LINK
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#29]
A resonant antenna isn't always efficient. It depends on antenna design, dimensions, Q etc.

For example, my mobile antenna requires no antenna tuner as it has a "tuner" integrated with the antenna (a variable inductance coil). It "shines" on many bands and I've worked lots of DX with it. I often check into several 80 meter nets with this antenna. It shows 1:1 SWR and it's resonant from about 3 Mhz to 29 MHZ (even to 6m band with a shorter whip). The antenna is far from being efficient but it's a compromise and I know it's limitations. Realistically it only radiates about 5 - 10 watts out of 100 Watts delivered to it from the radio, on 80 meters. It's not very shiny performance but it's a calculated compromise.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought I would update this.

I ended up picking up an Ameritron ATR-30.

So far it has matched anything I have hooked it up to, it's kinda amusing to see how various large metal objects function as antenna.

I am currently looking for an amplifier, preferably solid state.  The mercuryIII kit looks interesting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Thought you wanted an auto tuner but you can't beat an ATR-30 with a stick.

I'd buy a Mercury III in a heartbeat if it supported remote operation. Great specs, great price. Beware, though, I've read elsewhere that support and some attention to detail in the kit is a bit sketchy. The guy is a hobby-time kit manufacturer, after all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thought you wanted an auto tuner but you can't beat an ATR-30 with a stick.

I'd buy a Mercury III in a heartbeat if it supported remote operation. Great specs, great price. Beware, though, I've read elsewhere that support and some attention to detail in the kit is a bit sketchy. The guy is a hobby-time kit manufacturer, after all.
View Quote

I'll probably get an auto tuner at some point,, but for now I like how robust manual tuners are.  Plus once you have the settings for various frequencies it takes less that 20 seconds to tune up.

I wasn't aware of any issues with the Mercury III kit, I'll have to see what else I can dig up about it.  Even if the quality isn't commercial level, I'm not to worried,, it is a kit after all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Palstar's auto tuner uses steppers to spin knobs on a typical manual tuner vs relays to add inductance or capacitance. Depending on future interests you might could find source code for a diy version...
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#34]
135’ of wire across the top, fed with ladder line and tuned by a MFJ-986. Works 6m through 80m.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally  By glazer1972:
135’ of wire across the top, fed with ladder line and tuned by a MFJ-986. Works 6m through 80m.
View Quote

That sounds similar to what I'm using.  My home HF antenna is 110' end to end, fed with twin lead in an inverted V configuration.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That sounds similar to what I'm using.  My home HF antenna is 110' end to end, fed with twin lead in an inverted V configuration.
View Quote

I would like to get enough in the air to do 160m but I don’t have room.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would like to get enough in the air to do 160m but I don’t have room.
View Quote

You should be able to tune what you have on 160.  I can tune what I have on 160.  It's not very efficient and I had to actually shorten the length slightly to get my old 949 tuner to stop arcing at full power.   But like an older amateur told me "the best antenna for you is one that gets you on the air".
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You should be able to tune what you have on 160.  I can tune what I have on 160.  It's not very efficient and I had to actually shorten the length slightly to get my old 949 tuner to stop arcing at full power.   But like an older amateur told me "the best antenna for you is one that gets you on the air".
View Quote

You are right. It will tune there and works good fairly close. It don’t do real good way off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That "Older Amateur" didn't finish the advice.  It should have been "The best antenna for you is the one that gets you on the air so you can communicate with the people you need to communicate with.".  If you can't make the communications that you need to because the antenna isn't efficient or properly resonant then it's just a piece of wire in the air.

Your comment about your antenna not being very efficient is the key phrase that many people don't understand.  Antenna tuners aren't magic boxes that improve the resonance of a non-resonant antenna, they should be called "Impedance Matchers" since that is all they do.  They adjust the impedance so that the transmitter works within the impedance range that it is supposed to work with.  The antenna is just as bad (or good!) as it was without the tuner, the transmitter just doesn't know it.  Many new hams don't understand that and think that they must have a tuner which is not true.  I went for decades without one because I kept my antennas resonant and worked within the limitations that the bands imposed on me.  Plus I was using equipment with vacuum tube final amplifiers that are much more tolerant of higher SWR than solid-state equipment is.

The biggest advantage I've found with a tuner is that they can widen the acceptable range of an antenna.  For example my vertical has a very narrow range of 95 kHz on 80 meters where the SWR is 2:1 or lower.  That is pretty much the limit I'll subject my transmitter to and my amplifier doesn't even like that, it wants 1.5:1 or lower.  A tuner allows me to widen that range without having to constantly adjust my antenna for resonance at the frequency I need.  My tuner allows me to use most of the 80 meter band with an SWR that my equipment will accept.  My antenna is still out of resonance across most of the band, so it is terribly inefficient, but as long as the tuner can get the SWR down my radio and amplifier will work there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That "Older Amateur" didn't finish the advice.  It should have been "The best antenna for you is the one that gets you on the air so you can communicate with the people you need to communicate with.".  If you can't make the communications that you need to because the antenna isn't efficient or properly resonant then it's just a piece of wire in the air.

Your comment about your antenna not being very efficient is the key phrase that many people don't understand.  Antenna tuners aren't magic boxes that improve the resonance of a non-resonant antenna, they should be called "Impedance Matchers" since that is all they do.  They adjust the impedance so that the transmitter works within the impedance range that it is supposed to work with.  The antenna is just as bad (or good!) as it was without the tuner, the transmitter just doesn't know it...
View Quote

Your points are well taken. I am curious about what happens to the antenna output when you use a tuner to "correct" a big SWR number. For example, my existing MFJ-2012 OCFD is NOT resonant on 80. It measures something like a 12:1 SWR on 80, so I do not dare ever transmit on that band. If I got a Tuner and adjusted it down to a happy 1.5 or 2, how much would that reduce my otherwise mighty 100w output?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your points are well taken. I am curious about what happens to the antenna output when you use a tuner to "correct" a big SWR number. For example, my existing MFJ-2012 OCFD is NOT resonant on 80. It measures something like a 12:1 SWR on 80, so I do not dare ever transmit on that band. If I got a Tuner and adjusted it down to a happy 1.5 or 2, how much would that reduce my otherwise mighty 100w output?
View Quote

A 12:1 SWR equates to about 71.5 watts of reflected power with 100 watts output so you are effectively only transmitting about 28.5 watts of radiated power.  A tuner isn't going to change that.  The antenna and feedline will STILL have a 12:1 mismatch but the transmitter doesn't see it because the tuner compensates for the impedance mismatch.  I'm not exactly sure where that 71.5 watts is dissipated, I just remember that the article I was reading got into complex RF waveforms and how they interact at that point and my brain went into overload.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A 12:1 SWR equates to about 71.5 watts of reflected power with 100 watts output so you are effectively only transmitting about 28.5 watts of radiated power.  A tuner isn't going to change that.  The antenna and feedline will STILL have a 12:1 mismatch but the transmitter doesn't see it because the tuner compensates for the impedance mismatch.  I'm not exactly sure where that 71.5 watts is dissipated, I just remember that the article I was reading got into complex RF waveforms and how they interact at that point and my brain went into overload.
View Quote

This is exactly the sort of info I was looking for!  Very helpful when thinking about potential next steps for me, i.e., an antenna resonant at 80m sounds like a far better investment than a tuner to force my current antenna to an impedance match.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is exactly the sort of info I was looking for!  Very helpful when thinking about potential next steps for me, i.e., an antenna resonant at 80m sounds like a far better investment than a tuner to force my current antenna to an impedance match.
View Quote

I agree, and that's why people emphasize the point that you can always benefit more from an efficient antenna than with things like an amplifier or tuner.  Of course once you HAVE an efficient antenna system then things like an amplifier and tuner are still beneficial.

Keep in mind that you probably won't find "An" antenna that will cover all of 80 meters without high SWR on portions of the band.  As I mentioned above mine has a very narrow usable segment (95 kHz on a 500 kHz band).  I have it tuned so that the lowest natural SWR is 1.25:1 at 3.575 mHz .  That's pretty much the center of the FT8 area and my tuner lets me get into the Extra CW portion of the band and into the bottom of the SSB segment relatively efficiently so I'm happy with it.  That, to me, is what a tuner is good for and where it shines.  If your radio has a built-in tuner it will probably handle 3:1 or more so that will allow you to stretch your antenna out some.  Just get it resonant where you will use it the most and then let the tuner help you out at the edges.

I used to use an inverted V for 80 meters.  I cut the wire a little bit short and soldered a ring terminal on the end of the wire on each side of the dipole.  I then cut wires long enough to give me resonance at different points on the band to use as stubs to complete the appropriate length.  I had 2 or 3 sets of stubs set up with ring terminals on one end and an insulator on the other.  When I wanted to use a different section of the band I unbolted the stub that was on the wire, bolted the appropriate stub onto the main wire using the ring terminals, and I could change the resonant point in a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is not really true. This only holds for when the transmitter is seeing the bad VSWR directly. When you match the output impedance of the transmitter to the impedance of the antenna/feedline system, the situation becomes much more complex. You wind up in a situation whereby the intrinsic loss in dB/ft, measured at the feedline characteristic impedance, of the feedline comes into play. The higher the feedline loss, the higher worse the situation that occurs after the antenna tuner.

The math gets complex enough so that even I don't want to figure it out. However, there are lots of folks who have done the work for us. Using the calculator provided here, one can easily see that for a case involving 100W, 100ft of feedline, 10MHz frequency, and a really bad, 10:1 VSWR, even 450ohm window line will let you get away with murder, whereas even a really good coaxial cable like LMR-400 still sucks. Under those conditions we get the following results for power delivered to the antenna:

Wireman 554 450ohm window line: 85W
LMR-400 coaxial cable: 69W

Things get even better if you use "real" ladder line, i.e. two wires separated by mostly air (and you can get it here).

So with a low loss transmission line, like ladder line, even with very poor VSWR you can get good power delivered to the antenna, very little reverse power at the output of the tuner, no reverse power at the transmitter, and do a creditable job of radiating energy. That's why the ladder line fed doublet has been, and remains, the best solution where a non-resonant antenna topology is utilized.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's easy. If your tuner can't tune, just get another tuner and connect them in series. I kin tune a 10 inch roofing nail on 160 meters with 3 of my tuners! It's all about tuners! You don't need no fancy antennas!
Disclamer: Just kidding. Couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's easy. If your tuner can't tune, just get another tuner and connect them in series. I kin tune a 10 inch roofing nail on 160 meters with 3 of my tuners! It's all about tuners! You don't need no fancy antennas!

Disclamer: Just kidding. Couldn't resist.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is not really true. This only holds for when the transmitter is seeing the bad VSWR directly. When you match the output impedance of the transmitter to the impedance of the antenna/feedline system, the situation becomes much more complex. You wind up in a situation whereby the intrinsic loss in dB/ft, measured at the feedline characteristic impedance, of the feedline comes into play. The higher the feedline loss, the higher worse the situation that occurs after the antenna tuner.

The math gets complex enough so that even I don't want to figure it out. However, there are lots of folks who have done the work for us. Using the calculator provided here, one can easily see that for a case involving 100W, 100ft of feedline, 10MHz frequency, and a really bad, 10:1 VSWR, even 450ohm window line will let you get away with murder, whereas even a really good coaxial cable like LMR-400 still sucks. Under those conditions we get the following results for power delivered to the antenna:

Things get even better if you use "real" ladder line, i.e. two wires separated by mostly air (and you can get it here).

So with a low loss transmission line, like ladder line, even with very poor VSWR you can get good power delivered to the antenna, very little reverse power at the output of the tuner, no reverse power at the transmitter, and do a creditable job of radiating energy. That's why the ladder line fed doublet has been, and remains, the best solution where a non-resonant antenna topology is utilized.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly

good post

people get wrapped up in using coax losses and think that is all there is.

All of the loss is due to heat. Coax generates lots of heat with SWR

Sure you have minor losses in the tuner, but the bigger the components the less loss because the less heat

I use coax for resonant antennas

I use homebrew 600 ohm ladder line and it is cheap to make, much cheaper than buying coax, for none resonant antennas right to the tuner in the shack.

But running coax to an autotuner st the base of the antenna or an appropriate unun or balun will also significantly reduce coax losses.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve had good results using a Palstar AT2K.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Palstar AT2K. Palstar site Shop around for price.
Rob

ETA: Ham Radio Outlet in Denver shows in stock but low.
View Quote
I'm running an older model Palstar BT1500A 1500 Watt Balanced Antenna Tuner with an Alpha 374A amp which runs 2 EIMAC 8874s. I tend not to push it as the 8874's are spendy...if you can find them.

I highly recommend Palstar equipment. I also have one of their antenna analysers. Palstar gear is built like a tank.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I thought I would update this.

I ended up picking up an Ameritron ATR-30.

So far it has matched anything I have hooked it up to, it's kinda amusing to see how various large metal objects function as antenna.

I am currently looking for an amplifier, preferably solid state.  The mercuryIII kit looks interesting.
View Quote
Some years ago I knew a guy who made a couple QSO's from southern IN to europe....having tuned up a lawn chair.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top