Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2019 4:19:21 PM EDT
I figure this question has been asked before, but in the 5.56 caliber in a 16" AF15 barrel what is a good choice?  Here in SC one might encounter wild hogs when checking the land.  The purpose at this point is not to actively pursue the hogs, but be able to take them if the opportunity presents itself.

Is the XM193 55 grain adequate?  I have plenty of that.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If you limit yourself to headshots - which are the only shots you should be taking on hogs with that caliber - then it doesn't matter much which bullet you are using.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
To shoot into the body of the animal what is the minimal caliber requirement?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
You're going to get a ton of answers about this but generally speaking a bonded SP bullet will do the job pretty darn well and better than an FMJ. Just know where your point of aim is on the piggy and have a decent understanding of your range/velocity.

I know a lot of people that kill hogs with xm193 on the move all the time generally around 30 to 150 yards and one of my neighbors kills several a week with the cheapest steel cased ammo he can find at academy. I've been using 75 grain Gold dots because thats what I buy for HD and duty ammo anyway. Works great.

6.5 Grendel is pretty versatile too in a small frame AR as is 7.62x39.

You want to recover the pigs or just keep them off your property? gut shooting them with a 17 hmr lets them run off and be cleaned up by the buzzards and coyotes. I don't do that but know a guy that really hates dealing with them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hogs are really tough, and their diaphragm is a lot further forward than in other animals. It's very easy to accidentally gut-shoot them, and even well-shot hogs are difficult to recover in thick brush. They just take off like little freight trains.

Headshots are a bad idea with deer, but I think the best idea with hogs.

If you absolutely feel the need to shoot them in the body, use a round that'll penetrate a lot of tough gristle around their necks, keep your shots further forward than you think is necessary, and be prepared to crawl into thick brush.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
It is mainly to minimize the damage they do to the property and protect from the rogue hog that might feel froggy.  We doubt we will harvest meat but that might be considered depending on what might be shot.  So 55 grain 5.56 into the head is effective.

Thank you, that's what we needed to know.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is mainly to minimize the damage they do to the property and protect from the rogue hog that might feel froggy.  We doubt we will harvest meat but that might be considered depending on what might be shot.  So 55 grain 5.56 into the head is effective.

Thank you, that's what we needed to know.
View Quote
I've headshot a bunch of them with a .243 and even more with a .223. Between the eyes or in the ear. They go down like they were hit by lightning. And zero meat is ruined.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m interested to know if 62gr Gold Dots or 70 gr TSX works for the low, through the shoulder shot.

I’m not interested in trying for head or neck shots. Yet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I figure this question has been asked before, but in the 5.56 caliber in a 16" AF15 barrel what is a good choice?  Here in SC one might encounter wild hogs when checking the land.  The purpose at this point is not to actively pursue the hogs, but be able to take them if the opportunity presents itself.

Is the XM193 55 grain adequate?  I have plenty of that.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
View Quote

What ever is in your gun. I've killed them with 40gr to 80gr bullets. Just remember as close to the shoulder neck area as you can go! But it don't hurt my feelings if they hit the brush!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for your input.  It is much appreciated.

If one encounters a coyote I believe it could be killed much easier with the 55 grain XM193 since it doesn't have the thick hide and fat to penetrate. A shot into the lung area should take them down pretty quickly.  True?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Fusions are great and what I normally carry in my farm rifle, but I honestly haven't had issues with plain old 55sp reloads.

I usually aim just behind and down from the ear.

Honestly I wouldn't over think it too much. A well placed shot will kill them. I'm not advocating it, but a farmer i know PREFERS 55 vmax and aims for the neck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If I’m going deer or hog hunting I usually used Fusion 62gr and have had good luck.

I’ve switch to Sig HT 60gr copper hollow points just to try something new. It’s also worked great.

I would have no issues with m193. Just gotta put the bullet in the right place.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
5.56 62GR FEDERAL TACTICAL BONDED (XM556SBCT3)

Or

XM556FBIT3

Which IIRC is the same load.

I buy mine at bonefrog.

Killingest 556 round I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I am new to the AR, but not new to hunting.   Been harvesting deer over 40 years.   With that said my wife surprised me Christmas with an AR!  My dream gun since 18 or so.   I am in a lease in Ga, plenty of pigs,  so much so we have to fence the feeders.   Shot a 60lb sow in the neck at 60yds.  Knocked out on it's back, then shot at the rest, rapid fire.  The neck shot one then stood up and ran out like a freight train.  Using Hornady 75gr BTHP Match.  Club member wanted the meat and I could not find it.  It will be a head shot next time or I will get a 6.5 Grendel upper so I can deer hunt with as much punch as possible.  I spoke to several seasoned AR hog hunters in the club, they said .223/5.56 must be a head shot if you do not want to track them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am new to the AR, but not new to hunting.   Been harvesting deer over 40 years.   With that said my wife surprised me Christmas with an AR!  My dream gun since 18 or so.   I am in a lease in Ga, plenty of pigs,  so much so we have to fence the feeders.   Shot a 60lb sow in the neck at 60yds.  Knocked out on it's back, then shot at the rest, rapid fire.  The neck shot one then stood up and ran out like a freight train.  Using Hornady 75gr BTHP Match.  Club member wanted the meat and I could not find it.  It will be a head shot next time or I will get a 6.5 Grendel upper so I can deer hunt with as much punch as possible.  I spoke to several seasoned AR hog hunters in the club, they said .223/5.56 must be a head shot if you do not want to track them.
View Quote
150 meters and in 223/556 has plenty of punch. I’ll neck shot a Deer with .223/556 but not a hog.
Their necks are built differently. It’s easier to get a bad neck shot on a hog than a deer.

Behind the ear, heart or double lung in that order is where I’d aim. I’ve seen hogs eat 308, 30-06, 270, 12g Slug, etc. and run off. a bad shot is a bad shot.
Attachment Attached File

Edit I may look at your bullet selection too. Look at a soft point or hollow point that’s designed for hunting not a match bullet.

I’ve had really good results with .223 Fusion 62gr SP.

I’m personally not a fan of ballistic tip type of hollows points on hogs.
I’ve had better luck with SP and solid copper HP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top