Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2021 12:08:20 PM EDT
Or does it matter?

The knife comes in milspec or "modified," although I have found that most retail outlets carry the modified.  See pic below for the differences.

I could see that the modified might have a sturdier blade if  you need to  use it for chopping wood by whacking the top with another piece of wood.

Still, there must be a reason the milspec version has the upper blade edge sharpened.  I realize the milspec version is designed to be used as a fighting knife if necessary.  I understand that in some areas this makes the milspec knife an illegal "double-edged" knife.

I have one of each.  The "modified" version's sheath is made in China, although the knife itself is made in the US. The modified version's retaining strap on the sheath is simply riveted and can rotate, while the milspec one also  has stitching to prevent the strap rotating.

So is one "better" than the other?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about it. At least it's not the earlier version of which gazillions were made.  The tip was extremely fragile.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
They are serviceable knives for sure, but honestly, I'd usually pick something else.
The AF Survival Knife is a compromise in many, many ways.  If you don't need a "root saw" and "hammer" in your knife, there are a lot of better options.  The AF SERE guys teach the AF Survival knife, but they don't carry them...
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are serviceable knives for sure, but honestly, I'd usually pick something else.
The AF Survival Knife is a compromise in many, many ways.  If you don't need a "root saw" and "hammer" in your knife, there are a lot of better options.  The AF SERE guys teach the AF Survival knife, but they don't carry them...
View Quote

Give us your choices.  I like the AF survival knife out of nostalgia more than anything.  I've had one since 1992 and I've been camping, hunting, fishing, etc. with it many times.

But I'm always looking for a good knife.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Give us your choices.  I like the AF survival knife out of nostalgia more than anything.  I've had one since 1992 and I've been camping, hunting, fishing, etc. with it many times.

View Quote

I'd look at:

Esee 4
Terava Jääkäripuukko 110
Mora Garberg
Cold steel SRK

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to buy these (the GI version) in good, used condition at gun shows for 20 to 30 dollars.

I've always liked them and used them to dress a few deer.  They are light, durable, and compact.  Now, if you find them they are rather expensive.  I always look for them, though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The Gerber Strongarm although unrelated is to me the logical design evolution of the AF Survival knife.

I would not hesitate to substitute one for the other
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally, I like the Ontario SK-5.  That said, I have other tools for hammering and sawing.  The ESEE-4 is also decent, but I haven't used it much.
Most of the SERE guys I saw used the ESEE-5 or Cold Steel SRK (although some disliked the weaker handle/tang).  

For cheap but good knives, Mora rules the roost.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Easy called a Ka-bar!
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or does it matter?

The knife comes in milspec or "modified," although I have found that most retail outlets carry the modified.  See pic below for the differences.

I could see that the modified might have a sturdier blade if  you need to  use it for chopping wood by whacking the top with another piece of wood.

Still, there must be a reason the milspec version has the upper blade edge sharpened.  I realize the milspec version is designed to be used as a fighting knife if necessary.  I understand that in some areas this makes the milspec knife an illegal "double-edged" knife.

I have one of each.  The "modified" version's sheath is made in China, although the knife itself is made in the US. The modified version's retaining strap on the sheath is simply riveted and can rotate, while the milspec one also  has stitching to prevent the strap rotating.

So is one "better" than the other?  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/AF_SURVIVAL_KNIFE_COMPARISON_jpg-1893752.JPG
View Quote

Meh, I'll take an M9 or OKC3S bayonet over one of those...I have all three.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I got mine in "Navy "Aircrew" school back in the 8o's. I still have it and it is an OK knife. I never use is anymore preferring others. For the same price or less mora's and the cold steel version are very good. I processed many deer and hogs with them and performed other camp chores without loosing their edge. The plastic handle and sheath are great for dressing game because they are easily cleaned.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Never really liked the Aircrew Survival knife.  It's of "rat-tail" design, and I have heard occasional complaints about fragility.  Saw is intended primarily for cutting through thin aluminum aircraft skin, and not at all optimal for wood.  Leather scabbard will likely cause rust unless treated properly inside and out, and must include later metal reinforcement at tip of scabbard.  Leather washer handle MUST be treated to prevent water-caused rot, and internal rust of "Rat-Tail tang.

It's an OK knife (IMHO), once the above points are addressed.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
This is my survival knife: ka-bar
Probably not the best place to buy, it was just the first one I found.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd pick almost any other knife than the AF survival knife; the ones I've seen and used had mediocre steel and all had the annoying and worse than useless upper guard.

Cold Steel SRK or Master Hunter (regular or Drop Forged)
Almost any Becker
Any ESEE
Gerber Strongarm, Prodigy or LMF II
Bark River or Blackjack (if you can find one)

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Never really liked the Aircrew Survival knife.  It's of "rat-tail" design, and I have heard occasional complaints about fragility.  Saw is intended primarily for cutting through thin aluminum aircraft skin, and not at all optimal for wood.  Leather scabbard will likely cause rust unless treated properly inside and out, and must include later metal reinforcement at tip of scabbard.  Leather washer handle MUST be treated to prevent water-caused rot, and internal rust of "Rat-Tail tang.

View Quote

The saw, as far as wood goes, is for making shallow grooves in poles to facilitate lashing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The saw, as far as wood goes, is for making shallow grooves in poles to facilitate lashing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's about all that fine-toothed saw will do, at best.  Personally, I prefer a better, more generally useful saw on a knife.  YMMV, and no offense.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Ontario 499, or slightly more modern SP2, are OK.  They serve the role of a sharpened piece of steel as well as many others.  Know that USAF, never into "high end" cutlery, set a standard for a blade that should last a good while but almost never be used.  I've got one of each, and they cut stuff when I need them.  They're pretty affordable, and I look to them as a slightly tougher version of my honestly disposable Mora's.  

If you dig the design, go for it.  There's really little practical difference between the classic and the "mod" but the latter is a tad heavier and lacks some of the personality of the MIL-SPEC version.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I've noticed that nearly every field knife that comes out is subjected to a "vs ESEE 6" article or video. This leads me to believe it is the benchmark knife. Not saying there aren't better knives, but it seems the ESEE 6 is a knife you can be confident about.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Look at TOPS too. They have some knives that are borderline silly, and many that are great. Rest assured regardless of design they are well built knives. I love my Tahoma and BOB.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look at TOPS too. They have some knives that are borderline silly, and many that are great. Rest assured regardless of design they are well built knives. I love my Tahoma and BOB.
View Quote

For an all purpose outdoor knife, I think the Tops BOB is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never found it serviceable.  The blade geometry sucks, the saw teeth are useless, the bolt head is extra weight, and the handle is too small.  I would choose a Cold Steel SRK for a comparable price or the Gerber Strong Arm(?).  The SRK is a pretty sweet blade for the price.  An ESEE 4 with TKC slabs is great.  I prefer a Kephart style blade over most others for woodcrafting/camping chores.  I have a Bark River Kephart that is my go to.  I have all of the ones I mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I never found it serviceable.  The blade geometry sucks, the saw teeth are useless, the bolt head is extra weight, and the handle is too small.  I would choose a Cold Steel SRK for a comparable price or the Gerber Strong Arm(?).  The SRK is a pretty sweet blade for the price.  An ESEE 4 with TKC slabs is great.  I prefer a Kephart style blade over most others for woodcrafting/camping chores.  I have a Bark River Kephart that is my go to.  I have all of the ones I mentioned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.  The AF "Survival Knife" is what you carry when you can't find a real knife.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting.

I ordered one and it arrived today.  It does not have the sharpened upper edge, but does have the fuller.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#23]
i was issued one and found it lacking.  Poor grip, crappy edge from the factory, etc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been fond of them aesthetically since I was a kid, they're iconic... but I don't use them.

The guard interferes with a comfortable grip, the saw is meant for aircraft skin and while it'll notch wood it sucks for anything else.  The knife itself isn't a particularly good cutter either.  Once upon a time as a teenager it was my only fixed blade knife and I remember doing some research on how to make it serviceable, if I recall correctly the conclusion over on bladeforums was that the edge geometry sucked and re-profiling to make it a better cutter wasn't really going to solve the problem because of it's hardness (or lack thereof, at 50-55 HRC) so I just gave up on it.  I went through a Kukuri phase after that for a while as we do.

As far as alternatives, the Fällkniven's F1 is Sweden's pilots survival knife and they're well regarded, and I always liked the Becker BK and ESEE series, but about that time I discovered Moras and I settled on the Mora Robust (the older style, I think they're called Companion HD now).  After seeing some torture tests, they're the first non-full tang knives I wouldn't hesitate to depend on.  They're excellent cutters, light, durable, comfortable, and really hard to beat for the money IMO.

I do still have one of those 12" Ontario machetes re-profiled to look like a British golok if I want a beater / sharpened crowbar, but that's mostly for fun, it'll likely be left at home or in the car as there's not much I can't do with the Mora and silky.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Having had one, when I went camping with scouts (over 1000 miles hiked and 100 nights camping), I used a SAK.

For a fixed blade, since I have an income.... the F1.  Maybe my ESEE4, but tbh it's as heavy as the USAF and Kabar (though the 5 inch is a viable option).
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#26]
You get and use an old school AF Ontario survival knife because you want to use one and you enjoy what it is from years past.  It's not the best survival knife, and it's not the best camping knife.  It's an all-around and overall "OK" knife.  It's just OK.  I have modified and use the hell out of mine.  It's one of my favorites but a Mora or F1 will work it under the table in general outdoor usage.  Even in a survival situation I might give the nod to a Glock field knife or standard K-bar...  But still, I enjoy carrying and using my old school AFSK.  I have a couple new in box stacked away for the future at hand.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Long live the bolt knife.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
The AFSK that my dad carried in Vietnam:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

That last picture looks like it was sent via ham radio.

Leather knife grips fucking suck. No matter how well you maintain them, they will shrink and the pommel will be loose.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Leather knife grips fucking suck. No matter how well you maintain them, they will shrink and the pommel will be loose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

OH NO!

How long will it take?  Apparently more than 55 years.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually got one a few  years ago that was loose from the factory.  It was sold as a "factory second."  It annoyed me so much I gave it to a friend.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I ended up with my neighbor's Vietnam war pilots survival kit. One of the flares in the kit leaked after 50 years, and ruined the pen gun and the survival knife.
The knife was so rusted I couldn't restore it.
Fortunately, Walmart was clearing our knives and I picked one up for half price.
I treated the leather handle and sheath with some leather dressing and waterproofing.
One of the differences in the new and old one was the sharpening stone was better on the old one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine says Camillus and the newer one says Ontario. One I've had for fifty five years. The knife works but the tip sticks out the bottom of the sheath.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed

Have 2 from Desert Storm and this is the case.   They have sentimental value so if anyone on here has any tips on tightening one up, I'm listening
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The knife on his shoulder in that picture is a Gerber Mark II fighting knife, not an AFSK.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The knife on his shoulder in that picture is a Gerber Mark II fighting knife, not an AFSK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not a Gerber. It's an AFSK.

Like the other poster stated, the picture is not the best quality and I'm looking for another photo I have that more clearly shows that it's an AFSK.

It was a photo compilation someone made for my dad. I don't know what was in the background that made the handle look so long.

He also carried a Fairbairn-Sykes for awhile, but I don't think that's it.  Either way, he never carried a Gerber.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Agreed

Have 2 from Desert Storm and this is the case.   They have sentimental value so if anyone on here has any tips on tightening one up, I'm listening
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

soak the handle in neatsfoot oil.

should swell the leather a touch.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I frequently see folks who never used an AFSK badmouth them.  Well, this one did just fine in a land far, far away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Agreed

View Quote

You can try wrapping the handle,where the gap is with dental floss.
Wrap it tight as many turns as it takes to fill up the slop.
Inner strand of para cord if the gap is large.melt the end and press into gap.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a bad knife, it cuts, those saw teeth are great for cutting thick rope quickly. Hammer pommel isn't a useless feature.

I finally broke down and started using my mora kniv, it was so pretty and sharp when I got it I just couldn't bear to damage that edge. Carbon blade, got it because arfcom is a bad influence on my wallet.

It's a good knife, does what a knife should, cut, and not weigh a lot.

If I need a saw I have a Swiss camper or a Gerber folder. If I need to beat on something I guess I'll need to find "a rock or something".

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

.....If I need to beat on something I guess I'll need to find "a rock or something".
View Quote

Nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top