Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 12:08:20 PM EDT
Or does it matter?

The knife comes in milspec or "modified," although I have found that most retail outlets carry the modified.  See pic below for the differences.

I could see that the modified might have a sturdier blade if  you need to  use it for chopping wood by whacking the top with another piece of wood.

Still, there must be a reason the milspec version has the upper blade edge sharpened.  I realize the milspec version is designed to be used as a fighting knife if necessary.  I understand that in some areas this makes the milspec knife an illegal "double-edged" knife.

I have one of each.  The "modified" version's sheath is made in China, although the knife itself is made in the US. The modified version's retaining strap on the sheath is simply riveted and can rotate, while the milspec one also  has stitching to prevent the strap rotating.

So is one "better" than the other?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:21:18 PM EDT
I wouldn't worry about it. At least it's not the earlier version of which gazillions were made.  The tip was extremely fragile.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:29:36 AM EDT
They are serviceable knives for sure, but honestly, I'd usually pick something else.
The AF Survival Knife is a compromise in many, many ways.  If you don't need a "root saw" and "hammer" in your knife, there are a lot of better options.  The AF SERE guys teach the AF Survival knife, but they don't carry them...
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:59:51 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raimius:
They are serviceable knives for sure, but honestly, I'd usually pick something else.
The AF Survival Knife is a compromise in many, many ways.  If you don't need a "root saw" and "hammer" in your knife, there are a lot of better options.  The AF SERE guys teach the AF Survival knife, but they don't carry them...
View Quote

Give us your choices.  I like the AF survival knife out of nostalgia more than anything.  I've had one since 1992 and I've been camping, hunting, fishing, etc. with it many times.

But I'm always looking for a good knife.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:43:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DocGlockster:

Give us your choices.  I like the AF survival knife out of nostalgia more than anything.  I've had one since 1992 and I've been camping, hunting, fishing, etc. with it many times.

View Quote

I'd look at:

Esee 4
Terava Jääkäripuukko 110
Mora Garberg
Cold steel SRK

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:15:31 AM EDT
I used to buy these (the GI version) in good, used condition at gun shows for 20 to 30 dollars.

I've always liked them and used them to dress a few deer.  They are light, durable, and compact.  Now, if you find them they are rather expensive.  I always look for them, though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:21:40 AM EDT
The Gerber Strongarm although unrelated is to me the logical design evolution of the AF Survival knife.

I would not hesitate to substitute one for the other
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:47:21 PM EDT

View Quote

Personally, I like the Ontario SK-5.  That said, I have other tools for hammering and sawing.  The ESEE-4 is also decent, but I haven't used it much.
Most of the SERE guys I saw used the ESEE-5 or Cold Steel SRK (although some disliked the weaker handle/tang).  

For cheap but good knives, Mora rules the roost.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:14:58 AM EDT
Easy called a Ka-bar!
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:49:16 PM EDT
Or does it matter?

The knife comes in milspec or "modified," although I have found that most retail outlets carry the modified.  See pic below for the differences.

I could see that the modified might have a sturdier blade if  you need to  use it for chopping wood by whacking the top with another piece of wood.

Still, there must be a reason the milspec version has the upper blade edge sharpened.  I realize the milspec version is designed to be used as a fighting knife if necessary.  I understand that in some areas this makes the milspec knife an illegal "double-edged" knife.

I have one of each.  The "modified" version's sheath is made in China, although the knife itself is made in the US. The modified version's retaining strap on the sheath is simply riveted and can rotate, while the milspec one also  has stitching to prevent the strap rotating.

So is one "better" than the other?  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/AF_SURVIVAL_KNIFE_COMPARISON_jpg-1893752.JPG
View Quote

Meh, I'll take an M9 or OKC3S bayonet over one of those...I have all three.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:33:36 AM EDT
I got mine in "Navy "Aircrew" school back in the 8o's. I still have it and it is an OK knife. I never use is anymore preferring others. For the same price or less mora's and the cold steel version are very good. I processed many deer and hogs with them and performed other camp chores without loosing their edge. The plastic handle and sheath are great for dressing game because they are easily cleaned.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:32:25 AM EDT
Never really liked the Aircrew Survival knife.  It's of "rat-tail" design, and I have heard occasional complaints about fragility.  Saw is intended primarily for cutting through thin aluminum aircraft skin, and not at all optimal for wood.  Leather scabbard will likely cause rust unless treated properly inside and out, and must include later metal reinforcement at tip of scabbard.  Leather washer handle MUST be treated to prevent water-caused rot, and internal rust of "Rat-Tail tang.

It's an OK knife (IMHO), once the above points are addressed.  

Top Top