Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2023 12:32:52 PM EDT
In regards to build quality, software/firmware, functionality, etc. which would you buy?

The whole "clone" aesthetic thing does nothing for me, but the reason I'm interested in them is:
  • User replaceable 18650 batteries & long battery life (18650 are pretty easy to charge from solar)
  • Ease of interface with Peltors, PTT's, etc.
  • Ruggedness
  • Multitude of mil spec pouches/batteries/adapters/antennas on the second hand market
  • Remote KDU would be handy

I've owned a ton of Yaesu, Baofeng, Wouxun, Retevis, handhelds but battery life is typically poor, spare batteries are expensive and proprietary, batteries are difficult to charge in the field, plastic bodies don't inspire confidence, SMA antenna jacks are weak, etc....basically I want the HT equivalent of the proven, durable, IC-7200...

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do people buy AirSoft/Larping radios in the first place?   Why not buy US made commercial gear like Motorola or GE instead?

In over three decades of using a Motorola or GE HT radio I was never able to actually destroy one.

I'm not sure any of Chicom military clone radios or even most ham gear would be able to survive a concrete drop test or actual hard use.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/TRI-AN-PRC-152/22-694849/

I would get with the guys from this thread.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do people buy AirSoft/Larping radios in the first place?   Why not buy US made commercial gear like Motorola or GE instead?

In over three decades of using a Motorola or GE HT radio I was never able to actually destroy one.

I'm not sure any of Chicom military clone radios or even most ham gear would be able to survive a concrete drop test or actual hard use.
View Quote
Same answer as listed above: "...... battery life is typically poor, spare batteries are expensive and proprietary, batteries are difficult to charge in the field, plastic bodies don't inspire confidence, SMA antenna jacks are weak, etc...."

Not to mention the ridiculously stupid hoops you have to jump through to get the programming software because pretty much none of them can be hand jammed from the front panel.

Hard pass.

Also, I would gladly pay $2k for a civilian model PRC-152 or 148 equivalent made in the good ol' USA but nobody does...so $300 to the chicoms it is *shrug*

and I'm all about not buying china, but take a look at every electrical device in your house and tell me how many of them are NOT made in china...
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/TRI-AN-PRC-152/22-694849/

I would get with the guys from this thread.
View Quote
I have, but there so much noise in that 23 page thread you can't get a definitive answer one way or another.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]

I vote - none

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I voted for the TCA as presently it is the the newest version released. It has software available for programming and is reportedly  firmware upgradeable. It apparently has a working GPS unit. I don't have any of these radios, but I would buy the TCA if if I could still roam the backcountry.

A dual band Motorola APX8000 is $7000.00 plus by the time you buy extra batteries, the good chargers, programming software and cables. You could outfit a whole squad with TCA152 for one of them.

I think the Motorola/Kenwood fan boys are talking about buying used old model radios and either sharing or pirating programming software. Let the buyer beware as most of the better looking stuff has been recased and may have confusing firmware info. To be fair, most of those guys work or worked for the OEM vendors which gives them radio knowledge regular people don't have.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Same answer as listed above: "...... battery life is typically poor, spare batteries are expensive and proprietary, batteries are difficult to charge in the field, plastic bodies don't inspire confidence, SMA antenna jacks are weak, etc...."

Not to mention the ridiculously stupid hoops you have to jump through to get the programming software because pretty much none of them can be hand jammed from the front panel.

Hard pass.

Also, I would gladly pay $2k for a civilian model PRC-152 or 148 equivalent made in the good ol' USA but nobody does...so $300 to the chicoms it is *shrug*

and I'm all about not buying china, but take a look at every electrical device in your house and tell me how many of them are NOT made in china...
View Quote

Chicom gear is certainly everywhere and some electronic equipment built there is built very well indeed. Apple comes to mind, but I don't understand why you would pay $300 or more for a $25 Baofeng dressed up as a PRC Clone.

"Lipstick on a Pig" and all comes to mind when I look at PRC clone HT's. Seeing the spurs generated by most Chicom ham gear on a spectrum analyzer certainly convinces me they aren't a good value for the money.  

I hope you find the answer you are looking for OP.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Chicom gear is certainly everywhere and some electronic equipment built there is built very well indeed. Apple comes to mind, but I don't understand why you would pay $300 or more for a $25 Baofeng dressed up as a PRC Clone.
View Quote

That was my exact impression when I saw the menus and quality. If you want a rugged radio that's that price, you can easily find used EF Johnson 5100s for that price. There are some Motorola XTSes that are that cheap as well, and even new they're not much more. Better build quality and better use.

If'n you're just wanting one for S&G then go for whichever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you make a used 5100 go on the air for $300?

I'm going to stop because the cop radio Boys have max threadjacked this one.

Again the TCA is the newest model released in mid April.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I was trained on, and fielded those EF Johnson 5100's for my platoon in Afghanistan back in 2007. Those radios were a colossal waste of taxpayer money. I wouldn't take one if it was free...
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
OP - the aforementioned radio thread really is going to be your best bet.  There is some signal to noise in there but just read through the last few pages.

I've kept up with it and my general impression is there just isn't any 1 "best" option.  They all have their quirks.   Plus, the very newest release hasn't really been vetted out yet.

Good luck.  Please update us if you buy one and anything you discover about it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was trained on, and fielded those EF Johnson 5100's for my platoon in Afghanistan back in 2007. Those radios were a colossal waste of taxpayer money. I wouldn't take one if it was free...
View Quote

The MBITR was not around then? I thought they dropped the COTS radios pretty quick for combat units?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#13]
We had 148's for squad leaders and up, ASIP SINCGARS for RTO's, and the 5100's were meant for everyone else. Up to that point we had unencrypted Icom's for every rifleman, and this was to replace those. They worked poorly enough that we tried using them on two missions and never took them out again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I opted for a refurb Motorola XTS2500 for ~ $400.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Not putting you on the spot, but did you program it yourself? The idea is comparing apples to apples as far as money spent is concerned.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not putting you on the spot, but did you program it yourself? The idea is comparing apples to apples as far as money spent is concerned.
View Quote

Are you asking firelight or simplescout?

I would play with commercial gear but as you say - the barrier to entry is not straightforward.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Firelight. Doesn't matter, the thread is off topic. The OP asked about milsim radios. He knows the drill.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#18]
@radioshooter

Yes I did, as well as the UV5Rs and it’s versions for others. I did mess with a buddy’s TRI 152 clone, but not extensively enough to deem it better than similar ones.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"Lipstick on a Pig" and all comes to mind when I look at PRC clone HT's. Seeing the spurs generated by most Chicom ham gear on a spectrum analyzer certainly convinces me they aren't a good value for the money.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard pass.

The PRC148/PRC152 doppelganger radios are marketed to the milsim/airsoft market where appearances are everything. That's the reason they don't need encryption or top grade rx/tx specs. Obviously this doesn't compute at all to the used public safety radio fan boys. Just as having portable radios with less than 1 watt of audio power doesn't cut it on a car wreck scene. However, blasting that much audio while engaging the enemy whether real world or gaming field makes you the primary target and gives away your position.

Considering the iPhone and Android phones capabilities, one should remember that the lowly Baofengs might keep you out of jail. Acting stupid in certain playgrounds, one can come into contact with stingrays and dirtboxes very much to your detriment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve never broken a Yaesu HT…
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Hello

I am 'one of the guys from that noisy thread'.

Go look at outlander systems contributions. He actually had a fleet of several of the versions, and can tell you from an end user perspective which he likes.

Based on your needs as stated, I would say, none of them. I'd get a ham radio, get a battery adaptor, and press on.

The 'police radios' are very good as squad radios. I highly recommend them over the 'baofeng' offerings under most use cases. Most people don't need to be frequency agile, can use a single person to update and maintain their stuff, and the subscriber units are very robust.

far as the EFJ's, the internals of the version 1's were actually saber decks. I have one and have had several, they are pretty good; sorry you guys had issues with them.

The downsides could be that there is no manufacturer support for 'police radios', and that the programming software requires a little effort to source.

To directly answer the question, none of the current offerings really stick out to me. The 152 is so old in the clone world, I am looking forward to the next radio to drop in the next year. If I were forced to pick one, it would be the latest FCS 152. That's only because several entities are working on seeing what the hardware limitations are surrounding the firmware. ShiQing on facebook is the best place to buy stuff from so far.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top