Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2018 4:54:53 PM EDT
He's 23 I made him a nice get home pack. He is missing a nice leatherman tool...what one do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the super tool and I like it, pretty handy for sure.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Wave
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Rebar, the cutting parts are replaceable.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I was kind of amazed when the guy from Myth Busters used the saw from one to go through a 2x4 in seconds.
My next one will probably have locking blade I can get at without opening.

Right now I have a beat up original I got on auction with some other tools to save the one I inherited from my Dad passing. I bought it for him back around 86 and he carried it every day until a couple years before his passing.
I'd kind of like an exact copy of original sheath.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wave
View Quote
SPNI
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Victorinox, Leatherman and Gerber multi-tools.
Look at the offered tool combination and then decide what works for him.
My go to is a Vict. RS., pricey for sure but I like the way it feels in my hand.

Good on you dad!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rebar, the cutting parts are replaceable.
View Quote
That sounds better, I might have to check that out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The surge is pretty stout.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 4 different versions ORG, super , wave, surge
I carry the WAVE every day
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an old Pulse, Skeletool CX, MUT, and a Signal (along with a Multitasker and a SOG).  Been carrying the signal a lot, but for a good EDC tool, the Skeletool is hard to beat.

For a get home bag, the signal is pretty sweet: Has a whistle and a firestarter in it, along with your expected multi-tools.  It's a large format like the MUT, but they've slimmed it down so it's not quite so huge in the pocket.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Victorinox.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an old Pulse, Skeletool CX, MUT, and a Signal (along with a Multitasker and a SOG).  Been carrying the signal a lot, but for a good EDC tool, the Skeletool is hard to beat.

For a get home bag, the signal is pretty sweet: Has a whistle and a firestarter in it, along with your expected multi-tools.  It's a large format like the MUT, but they've slimmed it down so it's not quite so huge in the pocket.
View Quote
I have two Skeletools and they are a good "basic" EDC tool.  The blade, screwdrivers and pliers get a lot of use.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Leatherman crunch multi tool is by far my favorite, it turns into a pair of vice grips.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The Wave.

I've owned a Supertool I bought back around 1997. Still have it somewhere. Never use it since I first used the Wave. Been using Wave tools since 2001 when I was issued a Wave at the Mountain Warfare Training Center in northern California for the Cold Weather Survival School.

I think I own 4 of them. A couple of them I picked up at Wal-Mart on closeout when they were changing the packaging.

I have both the leather sheaths as well as the nylon ones and prefer the nylon.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
The newest version of the Wave has replaceable cutters.  The Surge is basically a larger version of the Wave, but with better scissors.  Wave & a pocket clip fit nicely in the pocket.

If it’s going into a pack, I’d say Surge, bit extender, and bit kit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have the super tool and I like it, pretty handy for sure.
View Quote
I carried a Super Tool v.1 for 10 years running movie theatres here in Miami and it did a bang up job in day to day work, with all manner of things needing to be repaired.

For the past 5 years, it's a Swiss Champ.

I describe the ST v.1 as being more robust, but doing less.  The SC is more elegant and does more in day to day life, but is a tad more fragile.

Built a garage for my dad with my BIL and could pound nails in with the Super Tool, but if I have to screw an eyeglass screw back in, or open up a bottle of wine, the SC is the winner.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Alright guys.....A HUGE THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Looks like I have to decide. I just ordered a CAT tourniquet, and a sam splint for his bag also.

He's has also a BOB ready to go if needed.

Again....
Thanks guys!!!
-Chris
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Alright guys.....A HUGE THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Looks like I have to decide. I just ordered a CAT tourniquet, and a sam splint for his bag also.

He's has also a BOB ready to go if needed.

Again....
Thanks guys!!!
-Chris
View Quote
Well....we're waiting???
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Wave or GTFO
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wave.
View Quote
@goodmedicine

You every thought about doing a multitool or multitool/light combo pouch? Would be kinda neat to have a small-ish belt pouch that took a Wave and Surefire.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Victorinox.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Haha...guys I was looking.
I think for him the rebar would be good. Its not to big and would fit good in his bag.

Still gonna look more into the wave.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've been using this one for a couple of years now and really like it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50624/LWave-751284.jpg
View Quote
You did that?
How much for a multi tool? It would be gor his multi tool for Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@goodmedicine

You every thought about doing a multitool or multitool/light combo pouch? Would be kinda neat to have a small-ish belt pouch that took a Wave and Surefire.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wave.
@goodmedicine

I keep meaning to make a leather pouch that holds a Wave and a Streamlight Microstream.  There are some nice examples on-line.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I have owned a Leatherman Supertool, a Charge, and the Surge.   The Supertool is outdated technology and I would not recommend it.   I gave my Supertool to one of my nephews.  The Charge and the Surge have very similar features but are different sizes.  For pocket carry most people would prefer the Charge over the Surge but for a BOB (where it isn't in your pocket all of the time) the larger size of the Surge could make the difference if needed to perform a repair.    Personally, I carry the Surge daily and my son does as well.   It is pretty large for every day carry but is useful enough to justify the weight.    I have a backup in the BOB.   I would like to get one to leave in the camper but haven't done it yet.  I carry a bit-kit and extender daily also.  I also have spare bit-kits/extender in the truck, in the BOB, in my desk at work, and in my desk at home.

I cannot begin to tell you the number of things that I have repaired with the Surge and bit-kit.   I have changed lights on my vehicles, I have repaired computers, laptops, printers, servers at work, replaced outlets/light switches at home, repaired garage doors, installed dryer vents, assembled lawn furniture, opened/closed the pool, and I could go on and on and on.    It is amazing how often I use the Torx bits in the bit kit.

One other detail about the Surge that may be worth knowing is that the saw blade in the Surge is replaceable.  It is compatible with a Bosch Jig-saw blade which is a stock item for Home Depot.    I have picked up a selection of metal and wood blades that I can swap into my Surge at any time.   For a BOB type of situation this can be extremely useful.

Let us know what you decide.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I desided to go with the rebar. Its just something for him to have in his bag for the car. Back before I got into all this prep stuff. I got stuck with a hole in my fuel line on my Edelbrock carburetor and needed to cut the hose, I was able to find a double edge razor and use the nickel to tighten the bolt it was definitely some MacGyver type of shit.

That day I would've love to have some like the rebar even.
So Im sure this will do him ok.

I appreciate all the help and info guys!
Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I desided to go with the rebar. Its just something for him to have in his bag for the car. Back before I got into all this prep stuff. I got stuck with a hole in my fuel line on my Edelbrock carburetor and needed to cut the hose, I was able to find a double edge razor and use the nickel to tighten the bolt it was definitely some MacGyver type of shit.

That day I would've love to have some like the rebar even.
So Im sure this will do him ok.

I appreciate all the help and info guys!
Thank you.
View Quote
We're a million different people with a zillion different opinions.

As you found out, just about anything will work in a pinch.  Even the cheap shit might keep your vehicle running on the road.

I drove across America from L.A. to Miami in '85, in a '67 Mustang and my dad gave me a cheap ChiCom ratchet set.  Halfway across New Mexico, as the sun was setting, I heard a couple of sputters and the car essentially died on the side of the desert highway.

Oh shit.

I got out and saw that the exhaust forward of the muffler was just about cleaved, but as the car bounced on the road, the gap was opening and closing, creating an issue with the motor.

Cheap ChiCom kit came to the rescue and I removed the muffler and tail pipe and stuck it in the back seat until I got to Mobile, AL, where I hit up a Midas.

While I don't really use it any longer, I still have it and yeah, an unmuffled V8 is pretty loud.

The minutia here is just women arguing over which shoe is better for the big event.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Good story Chris...take care.
After that day...I went to sears and bought like a 170 (NOT SURE THE COUNT) piece tool set. So i never had to what I did that day.

Still have it...glad I do, its the craftsman tools that where made in the U.S.

-Chris
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good story Chris...take care.
After that day...I went to sears and bought like a 170 (NOT SURE THE COUNT) piece tool set. So i never had to what I did that day.

Still have it...glad I do, its the craftsman tools that where made in the U.S.

-Chris
View Quote
Case in point is that almost anything less than Tier 1 will help you in a sticky situation, but good stuff lasts and is worth it.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had the charge xti and tool bit kit with me on duty every shift as a firefighter for the last 13yrs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I have over a dozen various multitools.  My current carry is a Gerber mp600.  My favorite to this day is probably the Leatherman Wave.  I have one I carried for 8 years, and a brand new spare.  If I had to recommend one single multitool it would be the Wave.  I like switching it up which is why I have been using a mp600 for a year or two now.

With all that said any of the major name brand multitools will provide the necessary utility.

Leatherman
Gerber
Victorinox

My main recommendation is stay away from the big box store none major name brand tools.  Most are junk in comparison.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I use a victoronix swiss tool for 20 years.
Wouldn't own a leatherman if you paid me.
jm2c
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Gerber Center Drive..

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#36]
The new Wave+ is probably the best all around multi-tool, especially if it is going into a get home pack.  It has all the functionality you need in a multi-tool and yet is relatively compact and light.  Not as carry-able as a Skeletool or Juice but more capable.  Not has heavy as a Surge, Super-Tool, Rebar or similar full size tools but nearly as capable.  If I was building a get home pack it would have one of the new Wave+ or Charge+ multi-tools in it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
SOG multitools have not been mentioned yet.  Many, but not all, SOG multitools are user-configurable with specific implements.
https://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools.html

I have quite a number of brands of multitools, including Victorinox, Gerber, SOG, and Leatherman, as well as cheap units.  In my experience, none of these tools are as well suited to a particular task as another tool specifically designed for the given task. These multitools are "Jacks-of-all-trades" and "Masters of none".  However, they are handy, usually available, and will do in a pinch.  That said, no tradesman would voluntarily relinquish his tool kit in lieu of a multitool.

What is essential in multitools is the quality of the metal, quality of construction, the specific features of the tool, and the mfr's warranty.  Multitools are often used for tasks outside their capability, so the warranty is of particular concern.

All this said, the SOG multitools are of interest.  The quality of materials and construction are present.  Broken implements (on some Models) can be user-repaired with on-hand spares and the broken implements sent back at small cost for replacement.  The entire tool need not be returned to the Mfr for repair, and so is available for use as soon as the broken implement is replaced.  Spare implements are surprisingly inexpensive.

Following this link: https://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories.html, click on "Compatibility" button to see which models can accept which implements.  Note that some implements may require "juggling" of position of the implement within the tool, and user-configuration can be a bit of a challenge in certain situations.  That said, it's not rocket science, and the exchange/replacement of very similar width/length implements is pretty straightforward. Once configured as desired, replacement of any given implement is easily accomplished, but the use of Blue Loctite is strongly advised on final re-assembly.
View Quote
My complaints with the SOG I had were 1) the tool locking feature was placed in a location that caused me to inadvertently unlock them during use and 2) the jaws on the pliers don’t open as wide due to the way they’re geared.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a surge. It even cuts the thick ass steel banding on crates and has held up well to a ton of abuse.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:42:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Bit late here but the best cost/size/performance deal IMHO is a $30 PST II from Ebay.  Original PST works too, but the scissors started with the II, they are useful.  Adjust tension, sharpen the knife, good to go.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Fuse
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The surge is pretty stout.
View Quote
The surge is what I have in my GHB.  
I have an older wave that's my edc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#46]
He's happy with the rebar. We attached it to the side of his GHB with the sheath it came with.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wave
View Quote
With the bit sets.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He's happy with the rebar. We attached it to the side of his GHB with the sheath it came with.
View Quote
Rebar is a good choice.  The Wave is awesome and I’m looking at those.

I have carried a Blast for years and it’s old school with blades on the inside but it does the job.

Glad he’s happy with it!   Good job!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top