Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 12:13:25 PM EDT
I have decided to get back into fishing. Picked up a couple spinning rod and reel combos at a local farm store, Ugly stick rods and shakespere reels.

Under $100 for the pair, ones a light weight rod the other a medium I would guess.

The selection of tackle left  a lot to be desired tho.

Hope to try the blue river here is southeast ok for trout in the next few weeks, and some ponds on some wildlife management areas for bass this spring.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Ugly stick and lightweight are an oxymoron.  

Shimano, Daiwa, And Penn reels.  Add St. Croix and a host of other 75 on up dollar rods and you’ll thank me. I buy close outs, clearance, late season sales, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m guessing you aren’t talking about ice fishing gear
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Ugly stick and lightweight are an oxymoron.  

Shimano, Daiwa, And Penn reels.  Add St. Croix and a host of other 75 on up dollar rods and you’ll thank me. I buy close outs, clearance, late season sales, etc.
View Quote

LOL ok ok, go easy on a guy here its been at least 10 years since I have even picked up a fishing pole. These will do for now, just looking for a source for lures etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gnu235:
I’m guessing you aren’t talking about ice fishing gear
View Quote

True, no ice on the water here
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to bassboat central. Com
You will find used gear at a bargain price. I've filled my boat with top quality stuff that I would never get at full price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Bass Pro Shops and Academy Sports within 20-25 minutes of the house, so that's where I usually buy my fishing gear. Tacklewarehouse.com is an excellent place to buy equipment and lures, if you don't mind buying your rods and reels without handling them first.

In this area, the Walmart stores usually have decent selections, but it varies widely by location. I have at least a half-dozen Walmarts within about 20 minutes of here, and they all carry different stuff.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Tackle warehouse
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Easy on the fishing gear snobbery. I've used St Croix, Kistler, and some other rods that the pro's use. BIL and nephew are pro fishermen. Nephew still sends me his Zebco reels for service every year. He uses them for his guide service. Pretty novice proof and get the job done. He uses a 33 for his personal use and can use just about anything he wants to.
Ugly Sticks are pretty good. If you want a near indestructible offering with a frugal price tag and much better than average feel, they are a good choice. I prefer the Shakespeare to the other two for a lot of reasons.
Buy from Walmart, Academy, the corner bait shop, most grocery stores around here, garage sales, or where ever you find what you want at the price range you are comfortable with.
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stasher1] [#10]
Originally Posted By lostintejas:
Easy on the fishing gear snobbery. I've used St Croix, Kistler, and some other rods that the pro's use. BIL and nephew are pro fishermen. Nephew still sends me his Zebco reels for service every year. He uses them for his guide service. Pretty novice proof and get the job done. He uses a 33 for his personal use and can use just about anything he wants to.
Ugly Sticks are pretty good. If you want a near indestructible offering with a frugal price tag and much better than average feel, they are a good choice. I prefer the Shakespeare to the other two for a lot of reasons.
Buy from Walmart, Academy, the corner bait shop, most grocery stores around here, garage sales, or where ever you find what you want at the price range you are comfortable with.
YMMV
View Quote

What do you mean by "much better than average feel"?

I don't consider myself to be a fishing gear snob, and have a few Ugly Stiks in my collection...but I would place them damn near the bottom of the barrel as far as sensitivity goes. They're good for line watching or bobber fishing, but totally unsuitable for anything requiring you to be able to feel what your lure is doing or contacting. They're also built with some of the cheapest components, so feel in the hand is well below most other rods

Great rods if you're the kind of person who just tosses your rod in the back of the truck and heads off to the local creek with a tub of night crawlers...but nothing I'd consider acceptable for "serious" fishing.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I use them for crappie, and have for more years than I care to remember. I like the feel. You may not, or you may not think you are supposed to. I can feel a light bite on them where I don't on a lot of other offerings, even ones "made" for the purpose.
I must admit, I don't care as much for the GX2 as I do for the original. It seems like they have cut the quality on them some. Still not bottom shelf though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of my stuff I bought at Bass Pro or Cabelas. One in the same now. Tacklewarehouse is good online.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Tacklewarehouse is my favorite. I'll pop into Academy or BPS/Cabelas every now and then too if I just need a couple of things quick. Usually can't find exactly what I'm looking for though these days.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Midway USA has good fishing gear now... and some of it isn't sold out like at Tackle Warehouse. I can tell you about it now.... cause all my orders are filled!

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WJangler04:
Tacklewarehouse is my favorite. I'll pop into Academy or BPS/Cabelas every now and then too if I just need a couple of things quick. Usually can't find exactly what I'm looking for though these days.
View Quote

Main Source is TWH & Academy (love their H20 baits).

if I need something quick, I just drive to bass pro shop which is only 12 miles from me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#16]
We also have a good "local" place that carries a ton of the hard to find japanese stuff.  That trip always hurts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#17]
"Where do you folks buy your fishing gear?"

Pawnshops, swapmeets, gunshows, and a lot of it is garbage picked.

Images related-

These are the only two rods I bought new. Shakespeare "Sigmas". The reels are probably from a yard sale or trashcan. (not kidding, just got a Mitchell 308A from a trashcan)

The nice rod is my cousins. The Abu on the Eagle Claw was a flea market find. Maybe $5.00.

All the spoons were more trashcan finds. Guy moved from Michigan to Arizona, and set it all out by the curb.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Chadsc:
We also have a good "local" place that carries a ton of the hard to find japanese stuff.  That trip always hurts.
View Quote

What is the name of this local place? Is it in summerville or columbia. If it's what I am thinking of, the one in columbia is better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fulminate:

What is the name of this local place? Is it in summerville or columbia. If it's what I am thinking of, the one in columbia is better.
View Quote

Nosir.  Somewhat local to the upstate.  

Lake Hartwell fishing and the great outdoors in cherryville nc.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Chadsc:

Nosir.  Somewhat local to the upstate.  

Lake Hartwell fishing and the great outdoors in cherryville nc.
View Quote

Might have to make a trip up. Have you ever been Nichols Store in Rock HIll?
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#21]
eBay.  Tons of new and used stuff.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#22]
My rods and reels are all from the 60's & 70's are all South Bend, Mitchell, Abu Garcia, etc...

A bunch of lures are priceless and can never be fished with, as they were my father's.  I still have a bunch of Rapalas and inline spinners from back in the day.  But mostly I remember getting into a catalog company called Jann's Netcraft and learned how to make my own lures.  Been doing it for decades!

www.jannsnetcraft.com
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I buy the vast majority of my lures from Academy.  Terminal tackle...random places...sometimes ebay for lead sinkers etc.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Tacklewarehouse.com
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Tacklewarehouse.com Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Locally owned B&T shops.  We have two great ones.  Owned and staffed by people who actually fish the local waters.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I try to support the locals best I can.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I am blessed to have a Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Academy Sports, and a large local outdoor store all within 20 minutes of a drive in town. Depending on what I need I have used all of them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#29]
TackleDirect also.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Fish USA is a great place, ultra fast shipping
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Minor stuff I pic up from a local shop.  (Roy's Bait and Tackle)  Things like reels, bulk spools of braid and such come off of Amazon. Just bought a Penn Sargus  this week in fact.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#32]
Amazon, Cabelas, local specialty shops.

I have an addiction I believe, plus I need a pack rod version of everything for the motorcycles (not ice fishing).

Ice fishing and trout, Musky
https://stcroixrods.com/pages/factory-store

Pin fishing

https://raventackle.com/product/raven-rpx-float-rods/

Boat rods

https://www.gloomis.com/collections/conventional-rods/
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
The Reel Shot and Midway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Discounttackle.com
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I buy most of my fishing gear at Academy unless I find it cheaper online. I rarely do. I don't buy anything fishing or otherwise from Bass Pro/Cabelas unless I can't find it somewhere else because ironically, their prices are higher than even the mom n pop stores.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Tackle Warehouse
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#37]
Big Dog Tackle. Local shop but has an online presence nationwide And prices are online prices even in the store.

Walmart for inexpensive Lews Combos
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top