Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2021 5:33:41 PM EDT
Middle TN bank angler here.  All the spots I've caught largemouth bass at this year have be overrun by skipjacks for the past three weeks.  If I catch a bass it is tiny.  Water temps are fluctuating between upper 50s and lower 60s.  I thought this was the time of year the largemouth start to really feed especially in the shallow waters.  Am I pretty much out of luck on catching them from the bank until next spring?  All the boaters I've talked to haven't been catching any either so it is puzzling.  I appreciate any suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
theyre supposed to be hanging around the back of creeks. right now is the time for them to try to get as fat as possible for the winter to last until spawn. shad spawn up in the back of creeks when waters hit fall temps, and bass are supposed to go after them. so target smaller arms where you can see little flickers along the bank, using some sort of shad imitation
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks..three of the areas I fish are really shallow (1 - 3 feet deep) and I do see all the bait fish jumping but I'm still just catching skipjacks.  Most have small creeks off them but I cannot get back in those areas from the bank.  I'll just keep at it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I can tell you this time of year my trolling motor stays on high and I am chunking and winding and covering water.  That would make it tough as a bank fisherman.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Accuser:
Thanks..three of the areas I fish are really shallow (1 - 3 feet deep) and I do see all the bait fish jumping but I'm still just catching skipjacks.  Most have small creeks off them but I cannot get back in those areas from the bank.  I'll just keep at it.
View Quote

Do you own waders?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#5]
@dan45678   Nope..don't own any wadders.  I'm still having a good time catching the skipjacks.  Caught one the other day that weighted 2.51 pounds.  At first I thought my lure was stuck on a stump...lol
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Asian carp have severely fucked TN River impoundments.  There’s a fraction of the bass there used to be in places like Chickamauga
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top