Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2021 10:37:20 PM EDT
Since starting my HF journey about ~3 weeks ago, I’ve made 11 contacts through either calling CQ, answering CQ, or answering a contester looking to make contacts. I log them in QRZ.com, an app on my Amazon tablet, and in a notebook. I also put a push pin on either the US or World maps in my shack.  I honestly don’t care if they are “confirmed” etc because I’m not a contester, and the log is only for my records. I am, however, sensitive to others that care about confirmations, etc so if they answer my CQ, I want to “make good” for them on the contact.

Tonight I learned about “Logbook of the World.” Is this the “official” logbook? I thought it was QRZ.com since I’ve had confirmations through that site.

How is everyone logging their contacts? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm getting back into HF after a long time off. I used QRZ today for a couple of contacts I made from the GA QSO Party.

I'm going to send them both QSL cards, and see what happens.

I haven't looked at LoTW yet, and have heard mixed reviews. I'll keep an open mind to see how it goes.

I keep a paper log too, since my radio days go back to when that was the only choice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I use 2 methods:  First is the old standby paper log, specifically ARRL's logbook.  Second, I log them using Ham Radio Deluxe which in turn uploads them to eQSL and Logbook of The World.  At the end of the day I import QSO data from Logbook of The World into QRZ.  This way the three big electronic services (QRZ, LoTW, and eQSL) are covered and I have both an electronic and paper log here.

LoTW is probably the most used online database although arguably it could be QRZ.  I just upload to all 3 since some hams use one, some use another, some use all 3.

Most of the popular electronic logging applications have a hook to allow uploading to those three with a couple of mouse clicks, so it's pretty easy to keep them all updated.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used N3FJP and N1MM's software.

I like (And paid for) N3FJP.  N1MM has a TON of features, but had a steep learning curve.  I like N3FJP's radio control.  I can DL my log and submit it so others get the credit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive used N3FJP for a while and it's easy. I push everything to LOTW. In the past I paid for the qrz logger but it's not worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, I use HRD for my logging program. Simple. I know, there are plenty of others. It's just what I started with, and it works just fine.

I'll use N1MM+ if I dabble in a contest. Easy to export for filing, and importing into HRD.

I upload the HRD logs to LoTW. One button upload.

Then I'll import to QRZ.

Jeez, that sounds like a PITA. Eh, not really.

I didn't initially log contacts, but now it's cool to look back and see who you've worked, when you worked 'em, and what mode.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have paper logs going back to March 14 1975, kinda fun to look back on those things some times.... my handwriting was different....

several years ago I started using N1MM for contests, its great, and free.

and a few years later Logger32 for regular QSOs, its free too.

I think I have some SKCC specific logger that I sometimes use for SKCC WES or things like that.

if I'm operating tailgate portable while camping or something like that,  I log on paper and enter into Logger32 later

about once a month I download from logger32 as ADIF format I think, and upload to Logbook of The World.

immediately after every contest, I output the cabrillo format and submit to the contest website and then upload to LoTW.

LoTW is only for ARRL awards such as WAS or DXCC.

Poole
.- .- ....- --.-
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a standard college rules spiral notebook I put 6 columns in.

Call (1 inch wide)
TimeZ (.75 inches wide)
Date (1 inch wide)
Frequency (1 inch wide)
Signal (.75 inch wide)
The leftover 2 inch column is labeled 'QTH and notes'

I use a 1" wide plastic ruler to make the columns and a simple ball point pen.

K I S S

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#8]
First, regardless of your chosen logging scheme, I can heartily recommend LOTW. It is faster, easier and far more convenient than paper cards. And, because they are a trusted agent, it also eases award applications. There are some who cry and whine about the Trusted QSL certificate and software that is necessary, but it's really quite trivial to obtain and install.

Obviously, based on the above statement, I'd also recommend that whatever software you choose for logging has integrated support for LOTW and TQSL.

That said, I like DXLabs DXKeeper. It's a little convoluted and long in the tooth, but using various helper programs you can get it to interface to WSJT-X, Fldigi and your rig. That allows you to automate the vast majority of your recordkeeping.

For contesting N1MM is the hands down, mic drop winner. Use it for contests, then export the results into DXKeeper as part of your permanent record.

N1MM may have now progressed to the point where it also integrates with Fldigi, WSJT-X and LOTW. Not sure. I'm kind of stuck on DXKeeper. But if it does it might be the go-to solution for someone who is just getting started.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Logbook Of The World is a convoluted nightmare that is unnecessarily excessively complicated.

That being said, I upload to it through N3FJP so people get their credit if they want it. Being honest, I have no real grasp of how to use it myself. Signed up and have it since so many use it, but I've tried to find various things and such but just give up. It's all multiple steps to do anything and it just exhausts me. I tried applying for credits to some awards the other day and they wanted me to pay them to apply my contacts to the award. Yeah I understand you have to support the software but I also pay my ARRL dues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies. Ham Radio Deluxe sounds good, but $99 is a little steep for the someone like me who isn't contesting and is only on the radio a few times week. As long as it uploads to LoTW and QRZ.com, it appears that the N3FJP is the most reasonable, cost wise. I don't have a laptop yet so I don't want the program interacting with my radio. Just want to log contacts and upload them to the various sites.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
N3FJP does upload to LoTW, I don't know of a way to auto upload to QRZ from there though. I just import an ADIF every few weeks into QRZ.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
N3FJP does upload to LoTW, I don't know of a way to auto upload to QRZ from there though. I just import an ADIF every few weeks into QRZ.
View Quote

Ok thanks. I am a little confused about what I can use on an Amazon Fire Tablet though.  I don’t think it’s compatible. I don’t have a laptop in my ham shack and I don’t really want to have to log every contact to a program on my desktop cpu...but maybe I don’t have a choice.

As long as the program exports an ADIF, is that the key to uploading to LoTW and QRZ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#13]
DXLabs and N1MM are free.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ok thanks. I am a little confused about what I can use on an Amazon Fire Tablet though.  I don't think it's compatible. I don't have a laptop in my ham shack and I don't really want to have to log every contact to a program on my desktop cpu...but maybe I don't have a choice.

As long as the program exports an ADIF, is that the key to uploading to LoTW and QRZ?
View Quote
QRZ yes. Not sure on LoTW. N3JFP will do it for you on that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, guys. Very helpful! Looking forward to joining the net again tomorrow night.

I found an app on Google Play,  VLS Logger, that appears to be able to produce an ADIF extract....so I think with that extract, I can upload to both QRZ and LoTW.

Welcoming more opinions!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ok thanks. I am a little confused about what I can use on an Amazon Fire Tablet though.  I don’t think it’s compatible. I don’t have a laptop in my ham shack and I don’t really want to have to log every contact to a program on my desktop cpu...but maybe I don’t have a choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

None of the suggested software will work for you on a Fire tablet. That is all Windows only stuff.

Assuming you can load app's on your tablet from the Google Play store, you'll have to search there to see if you can find a workable solution:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=ham%20radio%20logging%20app&c=apps&hl=en_US&gl=US

A quick perusal of the various tablet options does not impress me. There is no ability to automate entry of frequency and mode via a connection to the radio. No ability to automatically upload to QRZ or LOTW.

Only partially. You also need to install and register using software called Trusted QSL (TQSL), and TQSL requires Windows (well...you can beat it into submission on Linux if you like). You can find excellent directions on LOTW here.

In the long run you are going to be much better off using a Windows PC for this. You could get a Windows tablet, but they can be pricey. A shitty old laptop, as long as it runs Windows 10, will be fine. None of this stuff requires any horsepower.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
None of the suggested software will work for you on a Fire tablet. That is all Windows only stuff.

Assuming you can load app's on your tablet from the Google Play store, you'll have to search there to see if you can find a workable solution:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=ham%20radio%20logging%20app&c=apps&hl=en_US&gl=US

A quick perusal of the various tablet options does not impress me. There is no ability to automate entry of frequency and mode via a connection to the radio. No ability to automatically upload to QRZ or LOTW.

Only partially. You also need to install and register using software called Trusted QSL (TQSL), and TQSL requires Windows (well...you can beat it into submission on Linux if you like). You can find excellent directions on LOTW here.

In the long run you are going to be much better off using a Windows PC for this. You could get a Windows tablet, but they can be pricey. A shitty old laptop, as long as it runs Windows 10, will be fine. None of this stuff requires any horsepower.

View Quote

I think I’m good. If I understand, I can download the TQSL software to my Windows desktop and request a certificate. Then I can manually log contacts in the Google Play app on my tablet, occasionally exporting an ADIF file I order to upload to LoTW and QRZ. I don’t want software to control my radio or automatically pull in radio info. I’ll do that manually. Yeah, I know it’s easier having your radio automatically load frequency, etc into the software but it would require me to buy a laptop and I’m also not a contester who needs to do this quickly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I log directly to QRZ.  Then enter it to LOTW once a week.  I confirm on eqsl but havent logged on there in a while.  Lots of people do obviously because I'm always getting submissions. Qrz is easy to log to.  I do not like the beta test format they are currently trying...but I still do it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Paper Logbook and I send QSL cards.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Paper Logbook and I send QSL cards.
View Quote

Same, my call isn’t even listed on QRZ.com.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm logging the same way I did when I was a Novice back in '54 -- pencil and ARRL Logbook.

My QRZ.com page shows my mailing address and states that I will respond via SASE, SKCC, or ARRL buros.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#22]
QRZ. But they are wearing thin on their new beta version of the logbook, the preview is annoying as is their new push to be politically correct. QRZ is just convenient to add qsos quickly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't started logging anything yet.

It sounds like a chore....not looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#24]
You only need to keep a log if you want to exchange QSLs, or if you want to win ARRL awards, or if you just want to "keep score". It is no longer a legal requirement, dropped by the FCC in 1983.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I haven't started logging anything yet.

It sounds like a chore....not looking forward to it.
View Quote

To each their own.  As was mentioned the FCC does not require it any longer.  Personally I wouldn't trade my logs for anything.  The start with my first contact in 1976 and every QSO since then, excluding 2 meter stuff, is in one of them.  Every QSL sent, every QSL received is logged.  Every country I've worked, along with the frequency (not just the band), the date, time, and any other notes I felt were pertinent.  There is no telling how many times over the years I say to myself "I know that call" or "I know I've worked that country", and I can find it.  I use the back of the previous page for notes such as when I add a piece of equipment or change something around.  My logs are a record of my journey from the first QSO to the latest.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I started out logging contacts on paper using a log sheet I downloaded for free from www.dxzone.com, and I still do, but I've also installed the DXLabs software on my laptop.  I had to do it manually because the auto-install was causing problems, but I think I've got it properly set up to log to eQSL and LoTW.  I've only logged to QRZ manually so far, but DXKeeper is supposed to make that easier, too, I think (still reading the user guide! ).

So far it's pretty cool.  Enter the callsign of the other station, hit enter, and all the necessary fields are autofilled.  Makes it easy for this computer-illiterate old fart.

I dug my old desktop computer out of storage and changed the OS from Win7 Ultimate to Win10.  Just need to install the apps I want and it will be my dedicated Ham Radio computer, with the laptop for portable/backup use.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Dupe-deleted
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I am using the ARRL paper logbook and an old spiral bound notebook. I start making notes in the spiral notebook - the usual data items - when I stop on a freq and find it interesting. Then, if I make a QSO, I record it in the ARRL paper logbook.

Then, when it is convenient, I key the QSO into Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) by hand (have not yet connected the PC to the radio). From there, I upload to QRZ and LoTW with a button press or a drop-down menu choice.

I experimented with several logging programs like the ones mentioned above, and they all worked ok. I got the (v5) free version of HRD and played around with it for a while, and it seemed like it was a much more elaborate program capable of doing much more than the others. So, wanting to kind of "future-proof" things since I don't know what I'll become interested in, more capability is better.

Given the price, I had some very specific questions about support and getting bug fixes that they eventually answered. When I say "eventually" that doesn't mean they were not responsive. No, they were responsive, but since I used to deal with development people in Bangalore who would weasel out of things by using imprecise language, I developed a need for very precise and specific language in responses, so that there is no wiggle room as to what is being discussed and what it means. Took a little back and forth to get that. In all fairness most people would have been completely satisfied with their first response.

Periodically, usually around big holidays, they put out a 25% or 35% off coupon on their FB page. I waited for one of those and then pulled the trigger. Am pretty happy with it. The current version (6.7.0.357) is clearly more developed than the free version.

Had a nice support phone call with one of their guys the other afternoon. I had resolved my issue before the call, but since it was already scheduled, I took the call anyway and he went through my setup to make sure it was good, and answered a bunch of questions and showed me how to do some things. Never rushed me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I got with the times, and setup an LoTW account. I now log QSO's both in QRZ and LoTW.

Why not, it seems most hams go to one or both of them.

I still use an ARRL paper logbook, though, since that's how I did it when I first was licensed in '82.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Paper then to N3FJP. Then upload to LOTW. Every so often upload to QRZ.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I log into a spiral notepad first, then into the N3FJP software. After each radio session,  I upload all new QSO's from the N3FJP log into LOTW. Then I go to QRZ and manually enter them there. When I get new confirmations on LOTW, I import them into QRZ.

This weekend I started importing logs from the N3FJP software into ClubLog, just so I can use their system for getting DX QSL cards via Paypal when available. I've never signed up for eQSL after reading numerous mentions of rampant cheating there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I use the built-in logbook in HamRadioDeluxe 5.xx

( probably need to upgrade, that software is about 10years old)

when I’m portable, POTA, etc, i use a notepad

most of my HF mobile QSO’s are not logged unless it’s something noteworthy like rare DX or Art Bell

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I use a standard college rules spiral notebook I put 6 columns in.

Call (1 inch wide)
TimeZ (.75 inches wide)
Date (1 inch wide)
Frequency (1 inch wide)
Signal (.75 inch wide)
The leftover 2 inch column is labeled 'QTH and notes'

I use a 1" wide plastic ruler to make the columns and a simple ball point pen.

K I S S

View Quote

Very similar here. A pen and a "logbook" from the Dollar Store. No columns but I have an established format. Works great.

I tried using logging software, including a purchased version of HRD. It's just too much of a hassle. Also, I find it difficult and VERY distracting to log contacts when handling a pile-up of callers. All logging software I tried was slowing me down significantly. I can write down all the info by hand, in a fraction of the time it takes to enter the data into the computer.

Problem is that I've been getting an increased amount of emails with requests to confirm contacts on eQSL, LOTW etc. I reply with an explanation that ham radio is a hobby for me and I prefer to log ALL contacts on paper only. I offer to mail them a QSL card and pay for the postage. Most guys understand it but some get noticeably agitated, like it's something mandatory and more important than filing your taxes every year. Whatever!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I use the built-in logbook in HamRadioDeluxe 5.xx

( probably need to upgrade, that software is about 10years old)

when I’m portable, POTA, etc, i use a notepad

most of my HF mobile QSO’s are not logged unless it’s something noteworthy like rare DX or Art Bell

View Quote

Ditto for me, except I don't currently do HF mobile. I have an older paid version of HRD v 6.2 or something. It still logs everything automatically & 2 button clicks uploads to LoTW. It crashes once in a great while on the old Windows 7 PC I still use for radio. I plan to upgrade when the SFI gets better & I we finish our house upgrades.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can write I offer to mail them a QSL card and pay for the postage. Most guys understand it but some get noticeably agitated, like it's something mandatory and more important than filing your taxes every year. Whatever!
View Quote

Actually IMO it IS more important than your taxes.

I have had only one get bent out of shape after I offered to mail him a card at my expense. I did point out that ANY QSL in any form is a courtesy and NOT a requirement.

I sent him a card and never heard another thing about it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top