Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2021 8:27:08 PM EDT
Got an 18" AR I'm setting up to be a daylight coyote rifle, and it currently has an AAC 51T flash hider on it for use with my can.  I want to switch it to something more useful for that specific purpose.  Recoil isn't a factor but would some sort of compensator be a better choice?  What would you recommend?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Huge SF Warcomp fan, even though all my cans are not SF, haha. Barrel length, gas system definitely plays a role.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend more time spent studying the ways of the coyote.

The coyote doesn't care what kind of barrel you have.

What do you want the rifle to do that it doesn't already do with regard to killing coyotes?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend more time spent studying the ways of the coyote.

The coyote doesn't care what kind of barrel you have.

What do you want the rifle to do that it doesn't already do with regard to killing coyotes?
View Quote

I'm already familiar with coyotes.  I'm asking a hunting rifle question in a hunting rifle forum.  Or am I in the wrong spot?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I like being a noisy bastard so I prefer muzzle brakes

My favorite brake is the Lantac Dragon.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Standard A2 flashider on my yote rifle.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot 95% suppressed, but I do have an 18" that I shoot unsuppressed. I've tried a few muzzle devices over the years, and right now my favorite for quick shooting is the Precision Armament M4-72. Keeps the gun down and on target, with the obvious drawback being that it's pretty loud. I mostly shoot hogs though and place high value on quick follow up shots.

If coyote is more of a 1-shot thing, even though it's not sexy I'd use an A2 flash hider. Light, accessible (already have 5+ on hand) and keeps flash down.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like the A2 birdcage. Its cheap and works. Next is the Surefire SF4P, followed by the SilencerCo ASR flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Plain Jane A2
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Tried brakes and such....Went full circle back to A2's (except for one that has a P/W warcomp CT)
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Cookie Cutter Brake
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
A2. Can't go wrong.

I like the griffin flashcomp as well. If you're not going to put a can on it, the gatelock/flashcomp won't look out of place like a tapermount or ASR device would. But I also like my two gatelock cans.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m missing why the can isn’t working for you.

That being said I am partial to the VG6 gamma brake.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm missing why the can isn't working for you.

That being said I am partial to the VG6 gamma brake.
View Quote
Cant hunt with a can here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Vg6 gamma or epsilon.

Really liking the epsilon
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Having the Vg6, Griffin taper flash comp, strike industry J-comp 2 and a Go Guns comp as well as A-2's, the griffin is the least obnoxious of the bunch concerning concussion and seems to work well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]
KAC QD flash hider, I use a NT4 on all my 5.56 guns.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got an 18" AR I'm setting up to be a daylight coyote rifle, and it currently has an AAC 51T flash hider on it for use with my can.  I want to switch it to something more useful for that specific purpose.  Recoil isn't a factor but would some sort of compensator be a better choice?  What would you recommend?
View Quote

Why would you want to switch from a running a can to a compensator?

Just curious, because the set-up you describe is exactly the same as my 'Yote-Getter AR.

It's got an 18" match-grade 5.56 tube with a T-51 FH attached to host my M2000 ACC can. I fixed the 'wiggle/wobble' effect that ACC's T-51 mount is renown for, so my 'Yote load of choice stays sub-MOA with no POI-shift after a few shots.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, that sucks.
In that case, I'd either
A.  Leave it alone so I can still use the can when not hunting.
B.  Put some kind of blast diffuser/flash can on it to tame the noise/blast
C.  Put an A2 on it.  (Who am I kidding, I swapped all my A2s for Vortexes 15 years ago)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cant hunt with a can here.

Well, that sucks.
In that case, I'd either
A.  Leave it alone so I can still use the can when not hunting.
B.  Put some kind of blast diffuser/flash can on it to tame the noise/blast
C.  Put an A2 on it.  (Who am I kidding, I swapped all my A2s for Vortexes 15 years ago)

Boy, that does really suck.

Okay, never mind my earlier post. I'd just go with A above and call it good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why would you want to switch from a running a can to a compensator?

Just curious, because the set-up you describe is exactly the same as my 'Yote-Getter AR.

It's got an 18" match-grade 5.56 tube with a T-51 FH attached to host my M2000 ACC can. I fixed the 'wiggle/wobble' effect that ACC's T-51 mount is renown for, so my 'Yote load of choice stays sub-MOA with no POI-shift after a few shots.
View Quote

I think OP is a LEO and has the king’s permission to have a can in newyawk, but it’s for “work” so fish&game regs apply.

Also, the linear comp or sound forwarder things do work quite well for what they are. Huge difference. Going from a traditional brake to a linear comp is like putting a silencer on an A2.

Also, if OP is hunting from a fixed position, especially a blind, he may be able to easily put on earmuffs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
If I'm not putting a can on it, A2 birdcage. With can, ASR 3-prong flash hider on AR-15's and ASR brake on the LR-308.

I had a range rifle that was going to get a muzzle brake, but not a hunting gun, just range toy. Now it will get some sort of suppressor mount, maybe still a brake.

Hoping to get my very first coyote hunt this coming weekend with Suppressed 18" AR-15 shooting V-max handloads. Illuminated 12x scope, no night vision.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I really like Troy's Medieval flash suppressor, or whatever they call it. An A2 is fine. My precision 5.56 and 6.5 CM wear Patriot Valley Arms Jet Blast brakes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#23]
A can.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Huge SF Warcomp fan, even though all my cans are not SF, haha. Barrel length, gas system definitely plays a role.
View Quote

This, I WarComp all the things in both 5.56 and 7.62. Best combo compensator and flash hider on the market.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I have some sort of RIA stainless HEAVY fluted barrel with a compensator in the end.  I don't shoot it under a roof or when someone is in a stall next to me at a public range.  Some of the ports vent to the rear.

I personally like the yhm phantom.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Warcomp 762 on my 901, Warcomp 556-CTN on my SOCOM 6944, both with the SOCOM 762-RC2. Love that muzzle device both suppressed and unsuppressed. Still does a good job at keeping flash down, and has just enough compensation to be useful for mitigating muzzle rise without being obnoxious like full blown comps can be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I just refuse to shoot brakes without ear protection anymore, and hearing is too important to coyote hunting to wear plugs. Maybe you’d be ok with some good sound amplifying muffs. I’ve always either hit or missed single coyotes on my first shot, so a faster follow up than what I can get with an A2 hasn’t ever been that important.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Standard A2 flashider on my yote rifle.
View Quote

this

muzzle brakes are obnoxiously loud, and if you hunt with friends, they will stay home next time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top