Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2021 2:51:09 PM EDT
Or, what was your 'best money spent' item?

I'm working on fleeing NY and getting a small 5-10 acre place of my own.  I'm also looking to learn how to be more self sufficient.  I'm trying to think this through and would like to keep mistakes from piling up.

I like the ideas of a garden, rain water collection and some small scale chickens and I'm drawn to pigs - can't say why.

I'm just trying to build my dream up a little bit and looking for some ideas to run through my head in the meantime so I can better formulate a plan.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Taking the initial plunge on some acreage.  
No regrets.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The first "no regrats" was buying property backed up to Nat Forest.

As they say in real estate Location,Location,Location.

The second,  "best decision " was ,Buying adjacent properties.

The peace of mind was worth it. You don't want to spend all your money or time on your own property,  only to have shit head neighbors
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm working on fleeing NY and getting a small 5-10 acre place of my own.  I'm also looking to learn how to be more self sufficient.  I'm trying to think this through and would like to keep mistakes from piling up.

I like the ideas of a garden, rain water collection and some small scale chickens and I'm drawn to pigs - can't say why.

I'm just trying to build my dream up a little bit and looking for some ideas to run through my head in the meantime so I can better formulate a plan.
View Quote

Location.  SPECIFICALLY in regards to neighbors and laws. Too many close neighbors, asshole / busybody neighbors , too much gov, restrictive refs, lots of permits needed etc can make life hell.

A nice rural homestead can still be hell if the neighbors are too close / are trouble makers. Or if your location has too many restrictions building anything can be annoying and expensive.

I have few neighbors, basically one, who’s house is 100 yards away. Next closest is 1/2 mile.  My closest neighbor likes his privacy and does not care what I do, no one cares if you shoot in your back yard, for example.  While the county gov is similar, I remodel, add on, and build shit  all the time, no permit needed, and no one cares / calling the county every time you hammer a nail.  Which makes life much easier, cheaper, with less stress. I’m sure New York has lots of that, just be aware that lots of country locations have that too. If I lived 5 miles north, suddenly my taxes triple and restrictive Regs and permit requirements  increase exponentially .  

Sometimes you have to grab a property quickly, or lose it, just be aware there’s more to it than a title search and home inspection. Really try to learn about that location before hand. Stop n knock on doors and ask about living there. If someone mentions the local asshole family who trespasses on everyone, steals shit, poaches, etc, or old lady busy body calling 911 eight times a week over dumb shit, then you might want to reaches your choice.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy something flat so you aren’t constantly pushing dirt, water, and equipment up hill.  Flat ground is useful for work.  Mountains are pretty to look at.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No regrets.
View Quote

This and just recently a wood stove.

Here is stuff that will make your life easier

Zero turn mower if you have any more than 1 acre of mowing
4 wheeler with plow
Chainsaws
Old tractor with a front load is helpful, a quad can be used in place but the tractor can't replace the quad
Tools, lots and lots of tools
Food storage/stock
Back up construction/maintenance materials

I basically have a food store on one side and a hardware store on the other side of my basement.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this your only home or will you split time between the acreage and your other home?
The biggest thing I did was make my family comfortable coming to the farm. It started with something simple like getting plumbing so we didn’t keep using a bucket with a toilet seat. Then something like a washer and dryer so that we didn’t haul laundry back and forth. My family able to just come up here at any time without thought to packing and loading, made every other improvement worth while.
Single item outside of the home was a tractor. It allowed me to make improvements and make more “yard”. Now I don’t need to use the tractor as much but it was worth the cost.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The peace of mind was worth it. You don't want to spend all your money or time on your own property,  only to have shit head neighbors
View Quote

Yup. A 1 acre lot opened up that touched my back property line. Young kid showed up with 3-4 buddies to check out his new place, his aunt sold him for $1000.00.  They were talking bonfires, riding atvs and cutting a new driveway thru the edge of my yard. I offered 2x normal going rate price for a acre on the spot.  He accepted 2 weeks later after wrecking his buddies truck.

Easier and cheaper to buy property and keep people away, than risk bullshit from new neighbors.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

4 wheeler with plow
Chainsaws
Old tractor with a front load is helpful, a quad can be used in place but the tractor can't replace the quad
Food storage/stock

I basically have a food store on one side and a hardware store on the other side of my basement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No regrets.

4 wheeler with plow
Chainsaws
Food storage/stock

I'm going to disagree on the zero turn....if your on a budget anyway. If you can easily buy anything you want, sure get a zero turn, tractor, Side by side, etc. however, if on a budget and wanting to maintain property and build things,  A used compact tractor with belly mower costs the same as a new zero turn, and prob last 5x longer. Difference is zero turn is useless for anything but mowing, while a compact tractor can mow, disk, plow, till, drill post holes, grade driveway, haul dirt, pick things up, plow snow, dig holes, remove brush, drag logs,  snowblower snow,  pull a trailer, harvest firewood, move rocks, etc.

I got this one a few days ago with belly mower, n bush hog for 8k. I'll add a tiller for making gardens as well.  I have a bigger tractor with loader, otherwise I'd have gotten this with a loader.  The pictured kubota was 8k, and is 17 years old. Neighbor paid $8k for a new zero turn and I expect this little kubota to be around decades longer than the zero turn. Plus , same neighbor has needed me to use my tractor to grade driveway, push brush into piles, bush hog a muddy 5 acre field of 7 foot tall weeds , etc. There was. Bx model ,  4x4 , with belly mower, loader, bush hog, box blade for $8k as well, which would do most anything but maybe haul 1100lb hay bales.

IMHO, if your on a budget, and plan to do more than mow, the compact tractor is the better deal than a zero turn. If no plans to do more than mow, or bigger budget, zero turn is great to have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm going to disagree on the zero turn....if your on a budget anyway. If you can easily buy anything you want, sure get a zero turn, tractor, Side by side, etc. however, if on a budget and wanting to maintain property and build things,  A used compact tractor with belly mower costs the same as a new zero turn, and prob last 5x longer. Difference is zero turn is useless for anything but mowing, while a compact tractor can mow, disk, plow, till, drill post holes, grade driveway, haul dirt, pick things up, plow snow, dig holes, remove brush, drag logs,  snowblower snow, etc.

I got this one a few days ago with belly mower, n bush hog for 8k. I'll add a tiller for making gardens as well.  I have a bigger tractor with loader, otherwise I'd have gotten this with a loader.  There was. Bx model ,  4x4 , with belly mower, loader, bush hog, box blade for $8k as well, which would do most anything but maybe haul 1100lb hay bales.

IMHO, if your on a budget, and plan to do more than mow, the compact tractor is the better deal than a zero turn. If no plans to do more than mow, or bigger budget, zero turn is great to have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210530_130938_jpg-1962149.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No regrets.

4 wheeler with plow
Chainsaws
Food storage/stock

I'm going to disagree on the zero turn....if your on a budget anyway. If you can easily buy anything you want, sure get a zero turn, tractor, Side by side, etc. however, if on a budget and wanting to maintain property and build things,  A used compact tractor with belly mower costs the same as a new zero turn, and prob last 5x longer. Difference is zero turn is useless for anything but mowing, while a compact tractor can mow, disk, plow, till, drill post holes, grade driveway, haul dirt, pick things up, plow snow, dig holes, remove brush, drag logs,  snowblower snow, etc.

I got this one a few days ago with belly mower, n bush hog for 8k. I'll add a tiller for making gardens as well.  I have a bigger tractor with loader, otherwise I'd have gotten this with a loader.  There was. Bx model ,  4x4 , with belly mower, loader, bush hog, box blade for $8k as well, which would do most anything but maybe haul 1100lb hay bales.

My cub cadet cost $3k out the door. It was well worth it. I mow 3 hilly, tree covered (not terribly hilly but no where near flatflat)acres with it, my 46" craftsman used to take 5-6 hours. With the 54" zero turn I can do it in 1.5 hours. My time is more useful not mowing.

Even a compact tractor is too large to get around/under alot of obstacles I have. Eventually I will upgrade my 53' Ferguson to something newer but for now the FEL is a life saver and I got the tractor for $950 delivered. It ran when I got it but needed maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My cub cadet cost $3k out the door. It was well worth it. I mow 3 hilly (not terrible but not flat)acres with it, my 46" craftsman used to take 5-6 hours. With the 54" zero turn I can do it in 1.5 hours. My time is more useful not mowing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No regrets.

4 wheeler with plow
Chainsaws
Food storage/stock

My cub cadet cost $3k out the door. It was well worth it. I mow 3 hilly (not terrible but not flat)acres with it, my 46" craftsman used to take 5-6 hours. With the 54" zero turn I can do it in 1.5 hours. My time is more useful not mowing.

I’m not disrespecting your zero turn . They are useful as hell, and the best thing there is for mowing. I’m amazed at how fast my neighbor mows his place. I was just saying if someone was on a really tight budget, and wanting a mini farm, where there’s lots of chores to do,  I’d get the tractor first, zero turn later.    

Hell, I’d have bought a zero turn myself if I had fewer chores, but with a few soft places to mow, a few steep hills, and need for garden tilling the mini tractor made more sense in my situation.  My neighbor bought a top of the line zero turn, and has a  1acre yard to mow, plus  10 acres of fields, one of which is always muddy, and planning on adding horses, which need hay, etc. he needed a tractor that can mow, not a zero turn. Lol

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’m not disrespecting your zero turn . They are useful as hell, and the best thing there is for mowing. I’m amazed at how fast my neighbor mows his place. I was just saying if someone was on a really tight budget, and wanting a mini farm, I’d get the tractor first, zero turn later.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No regrets.

4 wheeler with plow
Chainsaws
Food storage/stock

I’m not disrespecting your zero turn . They are useful as hell, and the best thing there is for mowing. I’m amazed at how fast my neighbor mows his place. I was just saying if someone was on a really tight budget, and wanting a mini farm, I’d get the tractor first, zero turn later.  

I wasn't getting offensive, sorry if it came off like that

I agree with that 100%. I got my tractor first and it was a life saver, moving stuff, hauling, clearing, etc. We were here 3 years before I got my zero turn, I never realized how much time i spent mowing until then

Just pointing out it should be a short term goal as the time you get back would prove to be more valuable doing things besides mowing.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Research before buying - Verifying that the former HOA was now a defunct entity - and that no one has any authority to make or enforce rules.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree with that 100%. I got my tractor first and it was a life saver, moving stuff, hauling, clearing, etcingWe were here 3 years before I got my zero turn, I never realized how much time i spent mowing until then

Just pointing out it should be a short term goal as the time you get back would prove to be more valuable doing things besides mowing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No regrets.

4 wheeler with plow
Chainsaws
Food storage/stock

I agree with that 100%. I got my tractor first and it was a life saver, moving stuff, hauling, clearing, etcingWe were here 3 years before I got my zero turn, I never realized how much time i spent mowing until then

True.  Mowing can suck up a lot of time to be sure.

You can get a good tractor for the cost of a cheaper side by side. A older standard Ford tractor can be had for $2k or less, and a 4x4 with loader still pretty cheap compared to new tractor prices.  We got a new Polaris ranger 570 for $8k out the door, ( which is for farm chores mainly ) and $8k will buy a nice, low hour mini tractor. Iv seen quite a few 4x4 models with loaders and belly mowers for around 8k with 1000 hours or less.  That same $8k tractor costs about $22k new right now, so, $8k is a great price. On tractors look at hours, not age for the most part. A 20 year old truck even with only $50k miles is kinda old, and not worth much, the bank won’t do a auto loan on one for the most part. while a 20 year old tractor with 1000 hours is still basically new as far as tractors / diesel equipment goes, take care of a tractor and you can get your money back even years later for the most part. Damn sure will with inflation increasing like it is.

The tractor might be 20 years old, but 1000 hours is only maybe 20% life used up, about 50k miles on a car for example. With maintenance a mini tractor should last 50 years of light duty work, I was looking at a 1980 kubota b7400 recently, had 900 hours and sold for $5000.00. For a 40 year old mini tractor !  They damn sure hold value.  4x4 easily doubles the work they can do, and turns a impossible job, easy. A loader adds 3-5x to the tractors usefulness.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Great advice!  Thanks.  

It's just me and a dog so we can rough it a bit.  I'll be living on the place once I get one.  I'm a poors so that means I can't afford to waste money but I'll spend where needed because I hate spending twice.  

I've been searching outside of city limits.  Google earth has helped a lot.  I've seen land for sale that borders developments.  Yeah, like I'd like to share a property line with nine people (personalities) that have the potential to be a problem.  I'd prefer not to be able to see a neighbor and vice versa.  Even a small tree line or wind break would be OK.

You are all so right about how a neighbor can change a property.  I'll share a story.  I've lived in my present home for six years, the block has tiny 1/8th acre plots.  My house faces the back of my across the street neighbor's privacy fenced corner lot.  It was great for 5 1/2 years.  Then he built a covered deck on the back of his home and retired.  Now when he sits on his deck he has a view right over his fence into my house and yard.  He just spent a good amount of money and the thrill of sitting on his deck hasn't worn off and might not ever.  He has a TV, speakers, heaters and fans out there.  He's not a creep but I feel like I lost all my privacy.  

I would L O V E a tractor and other machines but I have to be sure I have a need for one and/or what size.  The budget is always going to be a concern.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great advice!  Thanks.  

It's just me and a dog so we can rough it a bit.  I'll be living on the place once I get one.  I'm a poors so that means I can't afford to waste money but I'll spend where needed because I hate spending twice.  

I've been searching outside of city limits.  Google earth has helped a lot.  I've seen land for sale that borders developments.  Yeah, like I'd like to share a property line with nine people (personalities) that have the potential to be a problem.  I'd prefer not to be able to see a neighbor and vice versa.  Even a small tree line or wind break would be OK.

You are all so right about how a neighbor can change a property.  I'll share a story.  I've lived in my present home for six years, the block has tiny 1/8th acre plots.  My house faces the back of my across the street neighbor's privacy fenced corner lot.  It was great for 5 1/2 years.  Then he built a covered deck on the back of his home and retired.  Now when he sits on his deck he has a view right over his fence into my house and yard.  He just spent a good amount of money and the thrill of sitting on his deck hasn't worn off and might not ever.  He has a TV, speakers, heaters and fans out there.  He's not a creep but I feel like I lost all my privacy.  

I would L O V E a tractor and other machines but I have to be sure I have a need for one and/or what size.  The budget is always going to be a concern.
View Quote

You can get a older ford tractor for a few thousand, and can do everything but mow your yard. Iv seen the tractor, and bush hog, disk, plow n box blade sell for $2k. Basically a farm starter kit. Add a cheap riding mower n your covered.

A mini tractor with belly mower and loader can mow and do a lot of stuff, probably anything a hobby farm has to offer, like , carrying 800lb hay bales is easy for a 20 hp diesel, tilling, plowing, etc. Cost you around $6-8 k for a decent one if you look hard.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can get a older ford tractor for a few thousand, and can do everything but mow your yard. Add a cheap riding mower n your covered.

A mini tractor with belly mower and loader can mow and do a lot of stuff, probably anything a hobby farm has to offer, like , carrying 800lb hay bales is easy for a 20 hp diesel, tilling, plowing, etc. Cost you around $6-8 k for a decent one if you look hard.
View Quote
I saw your thread, congrats on the new to you tractor!  I'm sure I won't be able to resist the allure of having a small tractor with a loader and mower on it and although I hate cutting grass I likely won't have a zero turn mower (although I'm sure I'd love one).

I'm pretty well sorted with mechanics tools and should be able to perform my own maintenance and simple repairs.  
I'll be learning to garden and grow stuff.  I've always been good with animals (as long as I learn not to fall in love with the ones I plan to eat) I should do OK.

I know I'll be here A LOT asking for advice.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#17]
What state you interested in moving to ?

Makes difference in terrain, taxes, state taxes, mineral / timber rights, what you can grow etc. For example  out west there are places your not allowed to collect rain water  
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Makes difference in terrain, taxes, state taxes, mineral / timber rights, what you can grow etc. For example  out west there are places your not allowed to collect rain water  
View Quote
I'm leaning towards Missouri but I've never been there.  I'll have to get there and spend a little time to decide.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards Missouri but I've never been there.  I'll have to get there and spend a little time to decide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure you make a few trips during different times of the year. You're coming from NY so the cold probably wont bother you (unless you're trying to excape the cold) but the hot summers may suck.

Full disclosure, I have never been to MO but my advice goes for any location you may be looking. 1 (or 3), 1 week trip probably isn't enough to decide you want to live there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Front end loader with new subcompact kubota attached.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is pretty much spot on. The problem is finding it. Most people have 30 days to find their new house.
I've finally got a place that isn't in a home owners association/private road. I'm on a county road. Bordered by public land and timber company land. 1 neighbour and I'm going to try to buy his place.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy a bigger piece of property.  5-10 acres is a lot not “ property”. Neighbors  will be right on top of you.  Expanding expensive.  

Find an area where 40 acre lots are common. Buy as much a you can.

Buy as few neighbors as possible and make sure they are good ones.

My first purchase was 53 acres vacant.
Second was a tractor.
Third was pole building with small living space.  
Forth was my neighbors home and 62 additional acres.
Trying to add more land.  110 to the east and 20 to the south.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#23]
OP,,I'm 67, retired and well off enough to not just "think" about doing things. I moved to the sticks about 12 years ago and our place is a dream place. With no doubt whatsoever the best thing I did when we built our home was to put in a 30KW Kohler whole house generator. That statement is SO true that we just replaced the first one with a newer version this year. It is without a doubt some of the best money I've ever spent.

Finding something OUTSIDE of city permit nightmares, inspections and HOAs would be #2 on my list. We put up a truly beautiful FLW style home on a private (ours) lake with a large shop and more and more. We had NO permits and NO inspections.  Building the place 200 plus miles away from where we lived at the time was a challenge and having permit issues would have made the deal MUCH harder to do. We were in the housing business and had decades of experience in our tool box. Our builder was great about sending photos and more and more. We've had no problems with the construction to date.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Location.  SPECIFICALLY in regards to neighbors and laws. Too many close neighbors, asshole / busybody neighbors , too much gov, restrictive refs, lots of permits needed etc can make life hell.

A nice rural homestead can still be hell if the neighbors are too close / are trouble makers. Or if your location has too many restrictions building anything can be annoying and expensive.

I have few neighbors, basically one, who’s house is 100 yards away. Next closest is 1/2 mile.  My closest neighbor likes his privacy and does not care what I do, no one cares if you shoot in your back yard, for example
.  While the county gov is similar, I remodel, add on, and build shit  all the time, no permit needed, and no one cares / calling the county every time you hammer a nail.  Which makes life much easier, cheaper, with less stress. I’m sure New York has lots of that, just be aware that lots of country locations have that too. If I lived 5 miles north, suddenly my taxes triple and restrictive Regs and permit requirements  increase exponentially .  

Sometimes you have to grab a property quickly, or lose it, just be aware there’s more to it than a title search and home inspection. Really try to learn about that location before hand. Stop n knock on doors and ask about living there. If someone mentions the local asshole family who trespasses on everyone, steals shit, poaches, etc, or old lady busy body calling 911 eight times a week over dumb shit, then you might want to reaches your choice.

View Quote

Quoted:

4 wheeler with plow
Chainsaws
Food storage/stock

View Quote

I'll add chickens.  Low effort, high reward.  Renewable resource.  Eggs, meat.  
Free (but annoying) alarm clock.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#25]
If you have that much to mow you need more grazing animals. Make a small yard for gatherings and make pasture of the rest. Sell the beeves at the annual auction.

Never understood all this mowing. 1/2 acre yard okay. But the rest is pasture. Guess it depends where you live etc. around here it’s easy to get a people to swath and bale for a cut of the bales too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Buy something flat so you aren’t constantly pushing dirt, water, and equipment up hill.  Flat ground is useful for work.  Mountains are pretty to look at.  

View Quote

hilly property  =  big regret on my place

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Chickens, a four wheeler or SxS, and a small utility tractor or older Ford 8N/diesel equivalent would be at the top of the list.

Also a truck and trailer capable of hauling your tractor/building materials/gravel. Doesn’t have to be a high-end dump trailer, just a solid bottom with board sides.

Something that people tend to overlook is that if you’ve not lived rural/farmed it’s a complete lifestyle and mindset change for most urban/suburban dwellers.
Find a couple older farmers close by and get their advice and help on things you’ve never done before and repay them with fuel or labor if they could use a hand.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chickens, a four wheeler or SxS, and a small utility tractor or older Ford 8N/diesel equivalent would be at the top of the list.

Also a truck and trailer capable of hauling your tractor/building materials/gravel. Doesn’t have to be a high-end dump trailer, just a solid bottom with board sides.

Something that people tend to overlook is that if you’ve not lived rural/farmed it’s a complete lifestyle and mindset change for most urban/suburban dwellers.
Find a couple older farmers close by and get their advice and help on things you’ve never done before and repay them with fuel or labor if they could use a hand.
View Quote

The part in red is very important, also keep this in mind with your job/career. If you work with people from urban/city areas, especially your boss, you will have a tough time with your work/life balance. Not everyone gets it. I could work on my property all day everyday sun up to sundown but you put me "at work" and I'm itching to get home to get something done.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Doesn’t have to be a high-end dump trailer,
View Quote

Although what you say is completely true, a dump trailer is REALLY nice to have.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Although what you say is completely true, a dump trailer is REALLY nice to have.
View Quote

Don’t get me wrong, a dump trailer where it’s at for sure. All I meant was that for a new homesteader on a budget they could get by with just the one trailer for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to grow row crops?
I live on a mountainous piece of land. Mountains=privacy. On flat land having a neighbour a 100 yards away means looking out your window and seeing the neighbour. On mountain land you'd never know they are there. I grow plenty of stuff on my land. Half of it's hay and half of it is reprod timber, plus I've got 2 fruit tree orchards and run cattle. All the wild game I can eat too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:21:35 AM EDT
[#32]
damn good advice here in this thread. Subscribed!
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Best money spent was either my John Deere 790 tractor  or the shop. It keeps my investments out of the weather and gives me the ultimate man cave. I should have made it 6' longer though,  it's tight getting around the motorhome.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:56:19 AM EDT
[#34]
#1 Buying enough land where I cannot see my neighbors or the County Road.

#2. Having a deep well dug.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for all the insight.

I get it, I'm in for a big adjustment.  I like to think that I've thought this through but I certainly won't know for sure until I'm living it.  Part of me says rent somewhere for a year and scoop up a parcel from someone who couldn't handle the adjustment.  I just don't know where the market or interest rates will be in a year.

I'd love to buy more land but the market is pretty high right now and my funds are very limited.  I do use Google Earth to snoop around the surrounding area to try to gain insight on the neighbors.  I'll be the best neighbor I can be and will trade labor for help where I can.  A big hole I have is I don't have a welder and really don't know how to weld.  I've stuck some stuff together using Mig welders but I wouldn't say I know what I'm doing.  I'm sure getting a welder and learning would come in super handy.

I have a 8KW Champion and a 2KW Honda generator.   Not a big Kohler but I won't be needing one right away - hopefully at some point I will.

I have an older Tacoma and a one ton 6X10 utility trailer with 24" expended metal sides that will come in handy for smaller chores.  I won't be fetching a tractor or gravel with it for sure.  The Taco needs replacement but the truck market is a mess right now - just like building material costs.  I have great timing  A dump trailer that can carry a tractor and a truck to pull it would be great. The whole Tonka set.

I'd love a shop building like that.  I'd want to put in a vehicle lift for easier work.  I see many shops that only have 8' or 10' walls.

A good reliable well is a must have for sure.  I'm learning that can be a gamble depending on the location.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a small 120v Lincoln flux core (can be set up for mig) welder that has handled everything I can through at it. I am nowhere near a good welder but it has saved my ass a few times sticking broken metal back together.

I have heard good things about the harbor freight ones. You'll have to learn when and where you can buy "budget" stuff and when to do the "buy once, cry once". Not everything you own needs to be tier 1.

Remember, a grinder and paint will make you the welder you aint

An 8kw generator will keep you out of trouble if you have a power outage due to weather or something. If you start getting much bigger than that the amount of gas you need to store for even 4-5 days is ALOT.

Also, yes a well is a must have. It can get pricey rather quick. My advice would be to buy some land with well, septic, electrical and a small home on it already. If you want to build or expand later at least the most difficult stuff is already done. It'll cost more upfront but save you in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#37]
We recently moved to a small homestead.  It’s only 3+ acres, but it’s way better than .25acres in the HOA.

I was originally going to buy a compact tractor with belly mower to save money and only need to store one machine.  I ended up buying a zero turn and also a 2025R because of the time and my terrain.  For me the extra cost of a ZT was worth it.  It helps there are killer interest 0% rates right now.  That’s allowing me to focus my cash on a bunch of ankle biter things like  tools, food stuff, extra fuel, and things of that nature.

My property has 1 acre of woods and about 2 acres of grass.  I have a detached 32 x 32 two car garage that easily fit my gym, tractor, mower, and all of my tools with room for my truck if I need to park in there.  It also has a 2100 square foot unfinished basement that used to be a wood shop.  It’s now for my wife’s soap business along with my reloading and leather working stuff.

If I were single, I’d have maybe gotten some raw land at a cheaper rate, but it sure is nice having a finished building or two to start with.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Mo is great and there's still cheap land to be had in the ozarks, the unfortunate part is where land is cheap there's basically zero jobs that pay more than 25k a year.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Great thread.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Marrying my wife who supports my chosen lifestyle of rural self sufficiency, even though she had to move with me to the city for 10 years to work and save so that we would be able to afford the purchase of our farm.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Marrying my wife who supports my chosen lifestyle of rural self sufficiency, even though she had to move with me to the city for 10 years to work and save so that we would be able to afford the purchase of our farm.
View Quote

This speaks volumes. If you don't have someone that shares your vision / lifestyle,  it'll all be worth nothing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#42]
The wife and I have recently purchased just shy of 150 acres in central Texas.  Someone mentioned it above but having a wife that is on board is very helpful.  After spending time at the property with just a mobile home on it she is now wanting to move there full time and build a barndo.  We are both able to work from there and are able to get line of site internet that is good(we can both zoom at the same time).  Look for as few neighbors as possible, or at least find a good one if you have to have one.  Make sure to check on water and electricity availability.  Our place has COOP water and electricity, no gas or trash service.  

Best decisions?  

Buying the property in the first place.  We talked about doing it for the last 10-15 years.  2020 pushed us to make it happen and I couldn't be happier.

Our property has a lot of cleaning up to do(mesquites, fence lines, leveling, etc), plus it has a creek running through it that has a crossing the needs to be maintained.  I bought a JD 325G track loader with a bucket, forks, and a tree puller.  It is amazing and does everything I need.  Waiting on a brush hog to come in.

We have a JD zero turn as well and really makes fast work of the area around the living space and barn.

After we build a tractor with shredder and disc will be in order but that will have to wait. ]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#43]
We actually moved mostly because of my wife’s business.  I’ve wanted acreage for a long time, but it was never the right timing.

So having her buy-in has made a huge impact on things.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm working on the goal of a tractor for every implement!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is one way to eliminate the old HF&G Quick Hitch need/want argument!
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hear ya.

If I have the backhoe mounted the wife wants to bush hog, if the bush hog is mounted she wants to dig holes. My dad still has my Kioti back in Michigan, once I get it over here the backhoe stays on my Kubota.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Running underground water lines to the different pasture areas........no more carrying 5gallon buckets of water, or 500ft of garden hoses to fill water tanks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top