Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2020 10:05:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have several and the thorns are no joke, they can get almost 2inches long.
I have gassed, burned and salted. I even cut em up with birdshot. They are very resilient plants.

IN for answers
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Black locust makes a nice self-bow.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I battled black locust for years.  Pretty sure they can't be eradicated.  I would even pull up their roots.  They deserve their own horror movie with their ability to come back from the dead.  I sold the property and moved to AK
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
For anything cut put it in a burn barrel with some forced air entering the bottom of the barrel.  Will incinerate virtually anything.

Ive had good luck with burning out stumps by putting a burn barrel, with both ends cut off, on top and letting it burn down into the ground. Downside is it kills off all of the microorganisms in the soild there and it takes a little while for nature to reclaim the spot.  Mixing in transplanted toposoil speeds things up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Make crowns out of them and sell to local churches at Easter. Profit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I battled black locust for years.  Pretty sure they can't be eradicated.  I would even pull up their roots.  They deserve their own horror movie with their ability to come back from the dead.  I sold the property and moved to AK
View Quote

You can drill and drive several copper rods into their trunks near the base. It will poison the tree and their extensive root networks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Locust makes great fence posts
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was going to say this.

When I was a kid we even had a farmer across the road tell my parents how lucky they were to have locust growing on their place for that reason.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Was going to say this.

When I was a kid we even had a farmer across the road tell my parents how lucky they were to have locust growing on their place for that reason.
View Quote

That's for sure! My place has no locust but I'm blessed with lots of hard maple, ash and cherry. My girlfriend's place is an old farm from the 1800s and locust crept in on the edges of her pastures. They are all fence post size trees. It really is a blessing when locust posts are going for $6 a piece and you want to fence in pastures tho! For example. My front field would cost about $1000 in posts alone and its not really that big!

The only down side is if you don't use them green you pretty much have to pre drill every darn hole for insulators because they get so hard once they are seasoned. It doesn't rot tho.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Black locust

Honey locust

You sure you have black locust? Their thorns are a non-issue. Honey locust, I'm sure a nice hot fire will get rid of the thorns.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a truck load of black locust(I was told) more than once for fire wood.  If I don’t cut it up and split the wood right away it gets so freaking hard! An old timer told me you can see sparks if cut at night lol.
    Used a few small diameter ones for legs on kiddos tree house. No joke you can barely drill them when they seasoned!
   But man do they burn long and hot in the outdoor burner.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Hedgeapple?
Orange Osage?

When I lived in TN, we had a number of names for that bastard.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hedgeapple?
Orange Osage?

When I lived in TN, we had a number of names for that bastard.
View Quote

Nope. Different species.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I plant Honey Locust, but the thornless type.  Black Locust is often used to stabilize river banks and areas of very poor soil, both add nitrogen to the soil.  

Osage Orange is a whole nutha mess, one of the few trees I refuse to plant.  

I'm battling Autumn Olive on my place, brush hog, brush cutter, Crossbow herbicide, etc.  The only good thing is that the cut bushes can be burned almost right away for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Locust is awesome for a wood stove.  It burns like coal if it’s old and seasoned.  
Don’t wait to split it once seasoned it’s like iron
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I took a "paul bunyan" swing at a hedge (osage orange) log with a brand new splitting maul once.

I might as well have swung on a steel I-beam.

I laugh every time I read about world war 2 tanks "crashing through hedgerows..." I don't think an F15 at full afterburner would "crash through hedgerows"!

I wonder if you can cut them with a flowjet or plasma cutter?

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I took a "paul bunyan" swing at a hedge (osage orange) log with a brand new splitting maul once.

I might as well have swung on a steel I-beam.

I laugh every time I read about world war 2 tanks "crashing through hedgerows..." I don't think an F15 at full afterburner would "crash through hedgerows"!

I wonder if you can cut them with a flowjet or plasma cutter?

View Quote

Not many stories about WW2 tanks crashing thru hedgeroaws, pretty much everything I've ever read or watched said they were a PITA and unless you had a cutter/plow in front, it wasn't happening. Even with the cutter/plow it wasn't easy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Black locust posts are a decent side gig money maker if you're out in the country.

If you can find them on CL around here, you're looking at 5-8 dollars a piece for an 8ft post.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cut them for fence posts in the fall/winter after the sap is down in the roots.  There's some posts along the garden at home that dad put in before he went in the AF in 1953.  Most have been replaced, but there's still a few of the old ones hanging on up there.

Makes good stove wood, too.  Doesn't seem to burn quite as hot as oak, some other hardwoods, but it doesn't make much in the way of ashes either.  Dad said he could go several weeks (fires in the stove every day and most nights) before he'd get a bucket of ashes from that big old (50 gal. drum sized) wood stove.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:35:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
There’s a YouTube channel called Townsends. He is a living history buff for 18th century Americana. In a multipart episode about building log cabins he is using honey locust thorns for door frame nails.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Please excuse my ignorance as I got the two types of Locust trees switched backwards.. Honey Locust is what I have to deal with and the Black Locust is what I have been cutting up.
View Quote

No worries, I used to get them mixed up too.

Black locust: excellent rot resistance, great firewood*, not so thorny

Honey locust: ok rot resistance, ok firewood, HUGE thorns.

*Black locust has a unique burn characteristic that I really like and I take advantage of. It doesn't really burn well. It's hard, dry, and has good BTUs, but it just doesn't like to be burned. As a matter of fact, when you get it going it burns with a low, blue flame, it's neat. If you recognize this characteristic you can use it to your advantage if you heat with wood. You know in the heart of winter when your stove doesn't really get a chance for the coals to burn down before you have to reload to keep the house warm? That's when you dig out the black locust. When other woods, even oak, will burn up quickly bc the coal-bed is so hot, Black Locust will burn more slowly, wasting less BTUs up the chimney and giving a more consistent heat output. Don't try a cold start with it though, it's a pain to get started. It really works best on a bed of hot coals.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I usually just push that stuff up into brush piles.  It's the easiest, cheapest wildlife habitat improvement you can do.

Side note: a forester told me that nectar from black locusts blossoms produces some of the best honey and that it is clear as water.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#35]
The honey locust is also a legume, hence a nitrogen fixer - like a clover patch on steroids.

Great for improving the adjacent soil fertility.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#36]
There sure are some wicked looking things

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top