Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I am going to be ordering a couple new pair of Danner boots soon as a hedge on inflation.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like having an assload of seasoned firewood around.  I've gotten off track the last couple years with propane being relatively cheap.  I should get another semi load of cull ties to cut and split.
View Quote

Pics of ass to confirm size of load
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am going to be ordering a couple new pair of Danner boots soon as a hedge on inflation.
View Quote

That's the one thing I have thought about grabbing is another pair of Ariat boots I have wanted for a while.  My issue is I already have more boots than I need so have held off.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pics of ass to confirm size of load
View Quote

This is not GD.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I hadn't considered footwear and unlike most women I don't have a gazillion pairs of shoes in the closet.  I should probably pick up some extra sneakers, work shoes, and boots for when the ones I'm currently using wear out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been trying to find Rustler jeans to stock pile..... no luck in mi]y size
I guss I will have to eat a lot to fill out  and get shorter or go anorexic and get taller
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy realestate with a 30 year low interest rate loan.
Pay it back with inflated dollars.
View Quote

Honestly. If I weren't 60yo I'd be shopping for fully leased commercial properties and building a real estate empire on cheap money.
It's 1976 but with lower rates, and in front of what I think will be a much larger depreciation in the value of cash than we saw in the late 70's.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not a gardener but a couple of pallets of 12-12-12 fertilizer might be good for bartering. If you've got a weather tight place to store it off the ground and it's heavy so it would be a lot of effort for someone to steal unlike PMs, booze or ammo and I would think that if things get really bad that there will be a lot of backyard gardening going on. Jars and canning lids too.
At this time gardening tools like hoes, shovels and potato forks are cheap at garbage sales and auctions and if things truely go south, the backyard gardeners will be needing them.
These items may not be something that you will need personally but could be good to have never the less IMHO.

I apologize if these items have already been listed as I have not read all of the posts.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
In addition to inflation I prep for what I call “supply chain disruption” so shortages, reduced quality or selections of goods, purchasing limits or even potential regulation.

-House. Building materials like lumber and fasteners and finishing materials like drywall and paint generally are always good to have as are spare switches and fixtures or things with a high failure rate. Filters, window screen material, toilet valves, wiring, bulbs. Things which will increase efficiency like spray foam to fill voids, window film to block sunlight and keep cooler, timers for fans and lights and sprinklers. Ask yourself: what would put me up shits creek if it breaks? What would my wife bitch about? What is Home Depot sold out of? What can I do to save time on X chore so I have more time to do Y?

-Automotive. 2 yrs worth of routine maintenance supplies like fluids, filters, tires, belts, bulbs, spark plugs, brake pads, hoses etc. Any major maint coming due in the next year or two I’m just going to pull forward to this summer. Don’t forget your tractor maintenance either.

-Imported goods. Covid caused a gigantic shitshow for global commerce that still hasn’t abated. Currency exchange rates can and will stack on top of domestic inflation to double your pain so anything made overseas will be either expensive or just unavailable.

-Anything you need with a petroleum input. Plastic, rubber, solvents, chemicals and lubricants generally. I like to buy bulk liquids vs aerosols (1gal WD40 ftw). Whoever said fertilizer is spot on along with most garden/pest chemicals. Adhesives are an overlooked category, refresh your supplies. Silicone, RTV, thread lockers, wood glue, super glue, spray foam etc.

-Tools, tools, tools. Buy the best you can afford and you won’t regret it. Think of tools you might want in a bind or can be used for more than one application. Anything edged like blades bits punches or chisels. If everyone is trying to make old shit work a set of stripped bolt/screw extractors is worth its weight in gold. Extra handles for hammers and axes don’t take up much room. Abrasives like sandpaper, steel wool, files, sharpening tools, cutting disks etc. Garden tools but not just basic shovels and rakes. I mean hand tools that will increase your productivity like scythes, broadforks, wheeled tillers etc. shit ain’t cheap now wait until 6 more mo of BidenBucks.

-Often discussed are canning and processing your own meat and other foods so good kitchen/cooking tools are a big must for me. Also not cheap for quality. Knives, utensils, food saver, big pots for making large batches, peelers, tongs, thermometers, measuring etc.

-Batteries and a way to charge them with solar. A solar battery tender for your car/tractor battery might be a good investment too.

-Anything “evil” that might be more heavily regulated that will increase your sufficiency like a wood stove, summer is best time to buy.

-Vices. Booze and smokes are always getting more expensive and quality goes down. I have a moderately decent collection of 12-18 yr old whiskies mostly because the quality keeps declining and I won’t be able to afford what was once good stuff one day. Shit I mean a 12 yr integrity bottled scotch is pushing $60-70 these days that’s crazy.

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Good post GMZ

Speaking of fertilizer, while this doesn’t help anyone right now, Walmart clearances their fertilizers every fall. I usually buy bags and bags of fertilizer every fall. Just stop at a few Walmart stores in my area and I can usually get it for at least 50% off.

I usually get my pest control chemicals from domyownpestcontrol.com. If you aren’t buying from them, you should check them out. Must cheaper prices than your local store and the web site will really help you pick the product you need. I try to keep a couple years worth in my shop.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Where I am in central OK land is pretty much unavailable. Lots of money showing up all the sudden offering 4X or even way more than what land was worth for almost anything. Non citizens with Asian names paying people for land they can't own yet and holding the paperwork to presumably file later when they can.

This was totally unexpected and derailed some of my plans for sure. Why sell that 20 acres to a local when you can dump it for stupid money?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good post GMZ

Speaking of fertilizer, while this doesn’t help anyone right now, Walmart clearances their fertilizers every fall. I usually buy bags and bags of fertilizer every fall. Just stop at a few Walmart stores in my area and I can usually get it for at least 50% off.

I usually get my pest control chemicals from domyownpestcontrol.com. If you aren’t buying from them, you should check them out. Must cheaper prices than your local store and the web site will really help you pick the product you need. I try to keep a couple years worth in my shop.
View Quote

If you're having to buy soil for raised beds, I've found that Lowes and Home Depot will sell their torn bags at 50% off just to not have to deal with them. We've been picking up 3-4 1.5 or 2.0 cuft bags each weekend to fill our raised beds. Not as cheap as buying a dump truck worth, but much cheaper than buying all at once.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The Precision Matthew's lathe I want just went up by $500. With all the options I need it's $9500. I need to pay down debt to finance it and that takes time. Another year and I'll be ready but I'm betting it's over $10k by then.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bingo!!! Then Rent it out! Someone can pay the mortgage for you and you can pocket the other half of the rent.

Rent matches inflation, your mortgage stays the same.

Everyone who thinks paying off dept is the way to go isn't wrong. Make someone else do it for you. It's like having an ATM machine.

Good luck with your search.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!!! Then Rent it out! Someone can pay the mortgage for you and you can pocket the other half of the rent.

Rent matches inflation, your mortgage stays the same.

Everyone who thinks paying off dept is the way to go isn't wrong. Make someone else do it for you. It's like having an ATM machine.

Good luck with your search.

if you are inclined (and given the way long term rentals have been ruined by govt regulations lately spouting SJW crap about free rent) short term rentals are hot and pay a LOT more and also protect you against the problems on long term tenants.  Im talking AirBNB, and VRBO.  

i had a property that was a nice entry level townhome - 3 bdrm 2.5 bath - nice location.. best I could get LTR was $1550/mo  - meanwhile a different property with the same kind of purchase economics for me as a VRBO is making $60K/year (5k/mo averaged out).. .  now my annual costs are different, but the end result is Short term is a way better setup.  I sold out of LTR and went exclusively into short term.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Honestly. If I weren't 60yo I'd be shopping for fully leased commercial properties and building a real estate empire on cheap money.
It's 1976 but with lower rates, and in front of what I think will be a much larger depreciation in the value of cash than we saw in the late 70's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont know about commercial at the moment.  lot of businesses going 100% virtual, and others going out of business.  I see a LOT of unused commercial real estate around, while at the same time residential is doubling.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top