Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2021 6:19:38 PM EDT
Just got my $100 rebate card for buying the IC-7300. What should I spend it on?

My shack consists of a power supply, clock, maps, power distribution block, SWR meter, and Radio.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Drugs and hookers!

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Put it toward a mobile uhf/vhf radio.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
On a serious note. Spend it on antennas or antenna accessories.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a serious note. Spend it on antennas or antenna accessories.
View Quote

Good answer.

But if you think that you’re GTG on that front, maybe consider Icom RS-BA1 V2 remote control software for the 7300 - it’s just over $100 from eBay vendors in Japan, but more like $150 from US vendors.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just got my $100 rebate card for buying the IC-7300.
View Quote

I submitted my IC-7300 rebate application on February 25 and still haven't received my rebate. When did you submit yours?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Straight key or paddles and a CW course.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I submitted my IC-7300 rebate application on February 25 and still haven't received my rebate. When did you submit yours?
View Quote

I submitted mine on 2/24. Even on the day my card came in the mail, the rebate site was listing my claim as being processed, so don't give up hope.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Straight key or paddles and a CW course.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Stonks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]
After the VNA my most used ham tool has been a 3D printer. I'd put it toward an Ender3 or the like. Very useful for making cases, insulators, winders, antenna brackets and components.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I submitted mine in December and I just got it about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#12]
What power distribution block is that?

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What power distribution block is that?
View Quote

It is a RigRunner that I got from West Mountain Radio: http://www.westmountainradio.com/rigrunner.php

FWIW, West Mountain Radio gave me great customer service. I had neglected to select all of the necessary options when ordering a custom cable as part of the same order as the RigRunner, and they shot me an email very quickly about it and asked what I wanted and communicated clearly when I asked questions, then got the order out quickly. I would have no hesitation ordering from them again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#15]

I was joking around, but the point was not lost on me. CW can often get through when other formats cannot, so can be valuable. It would be a good skill for any ham to have. I just totally suck at memorizing things, so I know it would be like torture to try, so I am avoiding it to the best of my ability.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
A 9700!

Just noticed I should've spent mine on reupping my membership....
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A 9700!

https://i.imgur.com/yoakG6z.jpg

Just noticed I should've spent mine on reupping my membership....
View Quote

If I can get one for $100, sure!
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I would also buy an IC-9700 for $100.00!  
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#19]
After lots head scratching, I decided to blow my rebate on the noise kit that Palomar Engineers sells, that someone here recommended. I think I am relatively free from the kinds of noise that this kit helps to dampen, but I am not really sure, and figure that could change anyway, and it wouldn't be bad to have these items on hand. I will put a couple of them in place right away.

https://palomar-engineers.com/rfi-kits/dirty-electricity-filters/Icom-IC-7300-Transceiver-Deluxe-RFI-Kit-5-Noise-Reduction-Filters-Coax-Noise-Filter-p174455313

Not as exciting as spending it on hookers and blow, but what can you do. I'm boring.

ETA: When activating the rebate card, I noticed that there is a monthly service fee of something like $3.50, if I understood the terms correctly, so it is best to spend it right away before it loses value.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
The noise kit shown above arrived today, and I had time before heading off to tonight's pistol match to try some of it out. The kit has more items than I need at the moment, so I only installed the coax noise filter (the box) and the DC ring filter.

Being a newbie, I know very little about noise and what qualifies as "normal", so I decided to take a photo of the spectrum scope "waterfall" before and after installing the filters. As you can see from the clock on the screen there was about 6 minutes between the two pictures, and the band may have changed, I don't know, but in looking at the before and after, the after shot seems to show slightly less noise. Will this be enough of a difference to matter to me? Not sure. I should have taken audio recordings to compare, I guess, but I didn't think of it.

Before:

After:
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Wouldn't the S meter show your noise floor? That might be a better comparison than looking at the waterfall.

Perhaps winding your own RF choke would be an option?

https://pd9z.com/rf-choke-build-your-own/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top