Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2020 11:45:27 AM EDT
The last two years my BIL has asked me to help process a deer he's harvested for my family. Last year I used his knife and will probably use his this year too. I'd love to have a knife of my own and love sharpening my current kitchen knives when needed so I'd love otadd a new knife. What would you suggest?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite knives for the kitchen:  http://askthemeatman.com/cutlery.htm

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Your knife set might already have a decent boing knife. If not I’d get a Dexter-Russell or a Victronox/Forschner.

I’d want about a six or seven inch stiff blade for deer, curved or straight as personal choice dictates.

Dexter-Russell: https://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com

For Forschner google “Forschner boning knife” and pick your merchant. Their independent website has been absorbed y Victonox.

Here’s one option: https://www.knifemerchant.com
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I just debone it while it's hanging. However if there is Sam's club close by they sell a set of knock off dexter Russell butcher knives that work well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Wow - that link is WAY overpriced on those knives.
5" boning knife (40512) $28.97 - available for $20.96 Amazon Prime or $13.99 on Webstaurantstore.com
Similar on the 6" skinner (40536) $37.97 - $29.25 AP & $21.24 on Webstaurant...
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The last two years my BIL has asked me to help process a deer he's harvested for my family. Last year I used his knife and will probably use his this year too. I'd love to have a knife of my own and love sharpening my current kitchen knives when needed so I'd love otadd a new knife. What would you suggest?
View Quote
I have three Dexter boning knives. 5 & 6 inch. A filet knife will work. Sharpness is your friend.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
What he just posted especially if doing it at home.  Although in a lot of ways the curved boning knife is easier to use vs the straight one.  At the end of the day a sharp knife is more important then the type of knife.  These come freakishly sharp.

Amazon Product
  • Versatile de-boning tool. Trim or remove meat from the bone with ease. This knife's pointed tip easily pierces meat while the curved-edge allows for smooth, clean cuts close to and around the bone.
  • For delicate & thick cuts. Thick meats like beef or pork require a less flexible knife, but this knife's slight bend allows for a delicate touch. The curved yet semi-stiff blade allows for a better working angle when cutting close to and around the bone.
  • Easy handling. This knife features an ergonomic Fibro Pro handle for a non-slip grip -- even when wet. This exceptional knife is weighted and balanced for easy handling and comfort.

The Best How to Butcher a Deer Video EVER, by The Bearded Butchers at Whitefeather Meats!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
5" boning knife (40512) $28.97 - available for $20.96 Amazon Prime or $13.99 on Webstaurantstore.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Fair point.  Using the ATM site makes it easier to find all three knives at once.  By far the knife I use the most is the Breaking knife.  Scary sharp with just touchup with the knife steel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote here for the Victorinox 6" semi-stiff boning knife. I started butchering my own deer 5 or 6 years ago and you can do just about the entire animal with that knife. Also, a good steel or ceramic touch-up rod is a necessity during the process.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fair point.  Using the ATM site makes it easier to find all three knives at once.  By far the knife I use the most is the Breaking knife.  Scary sharp with just touchup with the knife steel.
View Quote
I have a couple of breaking knives; they are the least used of all of my knives. It takes a BIG piece of meat to make an 8” breaking knife the knife of choice. Like a full brisket. Deer do not offer that big of a piece of meat if you are boning one out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a couple of breaking knives; they are the least used of all of my knives. It takes a BIG piece of meat to make an 8" breaking knife the knife of choice. Like a full brisket. Deer do not offer that big of a piece of meat if you are boning one out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a couple of breaking knives; they are the least used of all of my knives. It takes a BIG piece of meat to make an 8" breaking knife the knife of choice. Like a full brisket. Deer do not offer that big of a piece of meat if you are boning one out.
It works for me.  I love the handles; I despise sharpened-edge wood handles, like my wife's chef knife.  Hence, I use the Victor Breaking knife pretty much for everything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm on the Dexter-Russell side, but Victorinox is great too. I use a 6" semi-stiff boning knife. It's a good compromise of flexibility and edge holding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top