Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2019 8:20:49 PM EDT
I got a medium buck on Friday in an area new to me with a steep hill to climb back to my vehicle.  Luckily I called a friend who lives  nearby to help me drag it out but it was a real bitch for the both of us going over branches, logs, etc all uphill.   I’d like to get a deer sled that I can simply throw in the back of the vehicle and carry it easily. Something like those roll up types, I think.  Any good?  Any opinions on what to use?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a dead sled.  It rolls up into a small package, that I strapped to my pack.  You just unroll it, strap the deer in and drag it out. Best money I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Hunting near your vehicle?  Get a kids snow sled after winter for a couple bucks and throw it away after you use it.

For backpack hunting I would buy a purpose built one or just bone it out and pack it (like I do).
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I second the kids sled or toboggan if you are hunting near your vehicle.  I picked up one of these from Amazon for gun season. We usually have snow on the ground by then and I hunt a national forest that has cross country trails and snow mobile trails. Makes dragging a deer out very easy.

Toboggan on Amazon
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on your proximity to any legit Army Surplus stores, look out for a Skedco litter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
We use these occasionally when we don't want to pack the deer out on our backs.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/deer-sleighrsquor-game-sled?a=450188
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you gentlemen for all the constructive advice. I ended up going for the dead sled and I’ll give that a try.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a cheap plastic sled/toboggan......I ratchet strap my deer onto it.

Has worked great for me for the last several years.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Jet Sled. Use some 7mm accessory rope and 1/2” rubber hose as a grip. Used it 3 times already this year. It’s totally worth the investment.

https://youtu.be/AIm0xGNd3ig
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jet Sled. Use some 7mm accessory rope and 1/2” rubber hose as a grip. Used it 3 times already this year. It’s totally worth the investment.

View Quote
I use mine to haul goose decoys once there is snow on the ground.  Works good for hauling ice fishing gear also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Jet sled

Or get a game cart

Wayyyy better than a sled
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use mine to haul goose decoys once there is snow on the ground.  Works good for hauling ice fishing gear also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree. The Jet sled takes up room, but once you get the deer in it, all the blood, guts, hair, leaves, on the deer stay in the sled.  VERY easy clean up after the hunt.  The Jet sleds are stronger than cheap sleds and do not flex much.  I went the cheap sled once and the deer kept rolling out when going over limbs, etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Game cart

Way better for early season or no snow

And then the jet sled for winter or swamp much stuff
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#14]
A slick coated banner/tarp from your local liquor store with grommets for hanging works great.  And you can typically get them for free.  Folds or rolls up in your pack and is light weight.  Run a cord thru the grommets to tie it around the deer and haul away.

This year, I picked up a Mega Mover.  It's a heavy duty tarp with handles used by fire/EMS services to shuffle overweight people around and get them lifted onto a cot.  Havent hauled a deer with it yet but have shuffled ALOT of overweight people.  You can get one for about $30.00 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I use... Pro tip.. dont drag it down the road, or your gravel driveway... mine is no longer sea worthy but she drags deer just fine..
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This!  I bought one last year and it is awesome.

So easy to get deer out.  Much easier to load deer in truck.  Leave deer in sled and one guy on each side slide it right in.

Leave the sled under hanging deer while skinning out and all the mess is contained.

I used to put down cardboard and still ended up with a mess on the floor.  Not a drop of blood with the sled.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Another for the jet sled. Bought one this year. Haven’t got to use it yet though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top