Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2018 10:59:24 PM EDT
I had an atrocious day of fishing yesterday. Last summer all of my rods and reels were stolen, a Falcon, new Abu Garcia, and dad’s old Shakespeare, among others. All spinning rods.

I replaced them with some Bass Pro baitcasting rigs and one Pflueger spinning combo. Well, all of the baitcasters ended up backlashing like hell.

Right now I don’t have time to practice with baitcasters. What power and action do you like for what lure type?

I’m happy with a medium rod and fast action for finesse lures/shaky head.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
These are my 5 favorite bass setups.

G Loomis IMX-PRO 853c JWR 7'1" MH/XF with a Shimano Curado HGK. Jigs, worms, bottom contact baits.

G Loomis PR 844c M/F with a Abu Garcia Revo S
Cranks, treble hooked topwater.

G Loomis E6X 842s SJR M/F with a Daiwa BG 2500
Drop shot, wackys, do all spinning setup.

Dobyns Fury 735c with a Daiwa Fuego CT. Also a Abu Garcia 4600 cb for when I use small swimbaits.
Frog/slop rod, small swimbaits. Heavy jigs.

Dobyns Fury 795 SB with a Shimano Cardiff 300A
Swimbaits
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
More info needed......

What do you need to do?

baitcasters for cranking anything, carolina, texas rigs, swimsuits, flipping, pitching, jigs, frogs, spooks, etc.

You can do a lot with a spinning rod - medium heavy 6'6"  and a 2500 size reel or slightly larger.  I use the heck out of 6' spinning rods,

Your tackle is dependent on what you like or need to fish.  Want to skip a senko under a dock or tree? spinning rod. You can pitch with it too. Other good stuff with spinning rods, Pop R topwater, drop shot, split shot, lighter texas rigs, slider heads, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m just asking what y’all like to use. I’m a gear and tackle whore and like to know what people are using.

My favorite rod and reel right now is my St. Croix Mojo and a Lew’s reel. I use it for jigs, Texas rigs, and Senkos.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Trout fisherman here.

I don't use anything fancy or expensive. A rod I use a lot is an old Berkley Lightning Rod. 6'6" 2 piece with an older Pflueger President (wood handle) I've been using that thing for close to 20 years.

I also use a super whippy Eagle Claw that is a 5' 2-pc. I believe it has a Pflueger microspin reel. I have a Cabela's branded rod that's a 5' 1 PC with a Cabela's reel that I really like. It's medium action lightweight. Can't remember the exact models atm.

On occasion I'll use an old Orvis Fiberglass FullFlex spinner/fly combination. It's got the rod info handwritten on the shaft. With an Orvis 50-A reel. I think it's a 7ft 2pc. It has the movable reel bands so I can swap it to be a fly reel if I want to.
My dad gave that one to me and he bought it back in the 60's I think.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a big fan of Shimano reels and I also like Ugly Stik elite rods.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
My favorite right now is my St Croix Rage rod with a Pflueger Patriarch on it.  I mainly use it for Senko's
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have multiple set ups for both here in Virginia and our Cabin in N.E Pennsylvania. For the most part there are my go to ones.

Lews Carbon Blue baitcast set up
Abu Garcia Black Max /Cabelas Pro Guide rod
Abu Garcia Silvermax w/ Cabelas Whuppin Stick
BSP Mega cast Baitcast combo

BSP Mega cast spinning combo
Shakespeare spinning combo/Ugly stick rod
Lews American Hero spinning combo mainly for drop shot set up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 1-1500 spirex, and 6-2500 spirex reels on ugly stix. I have 2- 2500 stradics on St Croix Avids. I have a Chronarc, a Calais, and a green Curado on St croix avids. I have 3 decent size shimano bait casters that are gold anodized on ugly stick tigers for river cats. I have a couple of fly rods also.

Oh I just got a cheap ugly stick pack rod and reel for
The bike. I have some old stuff lying around. ABU 5600’s etc and a bunch of omegas and 33’s for kids to borrow
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m a big fan of Daiwa baitcasters, especially the Tatula series. I Tend to like rods that aren’t stiff as pool cues.  I also like light action spinning rods, fairly uncommon but I have a Quantum and a Powell that I like.

I’m a tackle junkie too, I have way more rods and reels than I’ll ever need. Shoot me a PM if you need anything, I’ll make you a deal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I use strictly bait casters for both freshwater and inshore saltwater because spinning reels are for kids, women, and Florida boys lol.

I have a few different reels, Shimano Curado K, Shimano Curado 70, Shimano Curado Metanium MGL, Lews Team Lite LFS (my favorite all-around reel), 13 Fishing Concept TX, Daiwa Tatula SV. If I had to pick just one out of the bunch for inshore it would be the Lews and if I had to pick just one for freshwater it would be the Curado K. My other half likes the Curado 70 for its small size and Concept TX because she thinks the color is pretty lol.

For my inshore rods most of them are full custom rods from Waterloo, 7' Bait Runners and 6'9" Slam Mags and HP Lite. I have a few Flacon Lowrider Salt rods as well, an excellent rod for the money. My freshwater rods are combo of custom Waterloo and G Loomis NRX.

Here are couple of pics of some of the combos.

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I just won a $100 gift card to Bass Pro Shops and I’m looking for a good crankbait rig.

Medium power and moderate action? Not many out there with that action.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
I just won a $100 gift card to Bass Pro Shops and I’m looking for a good crankbait rig.

View Quote
Look for a glass cranking rod, or a glass/graphite blend.

3 Bass Pro crankbait rods
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By @Warhawk:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @Warhawk:
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:

Thanks, all 3 of those look good. I talked with a guy at the reel counter earlier, he told me that starting this Friday there’ll be a good clearance sale and to wait to look around then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top