Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2022 3:35:00 PM EDT
I keep a few different food items in my get-home bag. One of them is el cheapo beef jerky which I keep in its original packaging and then seal it in mylar. Every so often, I will swap out the el cheapo beef jerky for a new package, as I figure the heat has taken its toll.

This makes me wonder if there is a better meat option to keep in my car. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Protein bars work too.  Rotate every couple of months at the same time as you do the jerky.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Freeze dried meals; the better quality ones are expensive per meal but won't have as much sodium or other preservatives and will be higher in protein and lower in carbs than Mountain House, Ready Wise (), etc.  They won't have a thirty year shelf life so rotate them out once a year or so.  Remember you need enough water to rehydrate them and yourself.  Powdered peanut butter will also last a relatively long time.  As much as I hate to say it, non-meat protein products like TVP carry well too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Spam.  And that sweet Korean pork jerky from Costco.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys. I'm all set on non-meat options. I just really like to have meat when I'm working hard or doing anything outdoors. Some kind of beef jerky is ideal, but these are some good options as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Another option is to make your own.  I'll buy cheaper cuts on sale, tell the butcher what I plan to do with it and have him run it through the cubing machine a couple of times and make my own.  I like venison jerky but I really haven't shot enough critters the last couple of years to make much; when we were culling some of the does a few seasons ago I was rolling in the stuff and loving it.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The tuna in those little bags is an excellent option. Packs easily and is consumed easily. Buy the packed in oil ones for extra calories.

You can also get peanut butter in squeeze packs that's a ton of energy and calories in a small package you can eat on the go and just squeeze right down your pie hole
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
While a little heavier than jerky or foil-wrapped tuna, if you liked smoked clams and canned salmon, or even sardines, they'll last a year easy in your pack (as long as temps aren't too extreme).

Hard/dry salami will easily store for a year, but if you have extreme temps, I would rotate once or twice a year...easy to do if you enjoy eating it! This is not new and has been around a long time for cured meats and is one my favorites.

Much like beef or venison jerky, you can get thick-cut smoked bacon which is quite shelf stable and tasty; again, easy to rotate.

Most summer sausage are pretty stable if unopened under 75 degrees, but once opened, you need to consume it in a few days (that's not hard to do at all!). Only downside is that it's heavy.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to be clear, this stuff will live in my trunk in Texas. It's going to get pretty hot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
slim jims.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top