Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Those pics are awesome!

Thanks for sharing OP......
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Great pictures!  Thanks and keep them coming.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It's been a long time since I've seen a Brittany on point.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VAbull:
It's been a long time since I've seen a Brittany on point.
View Quote

Here’s one of his cousins

Blaze Hard Point by FredMan, on Flickr

Jerry West Blaze Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Beautiful photos! Where do you go for your pheasant hunting?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SoVa:
Beautiful photos! Where do you go for your pheasant hunting?
View Quote

We usually base out of Clay Center, and hunt public and private land in the area.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice pictures, there's nothing like a rooster cackling on a cool morning.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:

KS or NE?
View Quote

There’s a Clay Center in NE?

But seriously, Kansas.

This shot took 1st place in the 2022 Wild About Kansas photo contest, category Game Species

Flushing Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr

And this one 2nd place in the Hunting & Fishing category

Blaze Quail by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bdicki:
Nice pictures, there's nothing like a rooster cackling on a cool morning.
View Quote

There’s just one thing better:  a turkey gobbling on the roost at sunrise on a crisp April morning.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Great pictures!

Pheasants are cool, but prairie chickens are my favorite upland bird. I've never shot one because I like them too much.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red-Stater] [#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red-Stater] [#16]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
Great pictures!

Pheasants are cool, but prairie chickens are my favorite upland bird. I've never shot one because I like them too much.
View Quote

@onthebreeze

I shoot a few chickens every year. Amazing birds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Red-Stater:

@FredMan

I just now saw these. Amazing photos. Pheasant and quail hunting with my two labs is my favorite thing to do on this earth!

I just graduated from Kansas State University, so I know the country you hunted well.

I’m currently working on a farm / ranch in far western Kansas, and am seeing a lot of pheasants!
View Quote

@onthebreeze

I shoot a few chickens every year. Amazing birds.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484415/522F4517-1274-4DB5-9034-06A00739BADC_jpe-2468866.JPG
View Quote

I thought I remembered you were a Kstater. Congrats on graduating and welcome to the club.

I have family in west KS and because of that I don't hunt pheasants anywhere else. You can swim in them out there. The tallgrass in central KS is where I see the most chickens. Just see so few of them I don't shoot them. Covey I've been around most is about 30 birds; I usually run into them deer hunting.

I am a Piccolo style deer hunter; I'm mostly there to enjoy the outdoors. If it's a year I want deer meat, I take the first ethical shot I have on a buck or doe, otherwise I walk around or just sit and watch them. Not a trophy hunter.

I've learned most people outside of KS think you're joking when you say prairie chicken and you have to explain them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#18]

@FredMan

I just now saw these. Amazing photos. Pheasant and quail hunting with my two labs is my favorite thing to do on this earth!

I just graduated from Kansas State University, so I know the country you hunted well.

I’m currently working on a farm / ranch in far western Kansas, and am seeing a lot of pheasants!
View Quote

Awesome. We keep talking about going out west, but our urge to drive further after 19 hours is…diminished.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Hope the bird numbers a good in Kansas this year. Got a new puppy so id like to get him on birds
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I leave in one week for this year's hunt.  20 hour drive I'll split over 2 days.  The guy pictured above is the guy who got me into bird hunting; this year marks the 25th anniversary of our first Kansas pheasant trip.

Hunting the same land, owned by the same farmers, knowing the terrain and local community almost makes it feel like a second home.  When we push a particular field, we KNOW where birds are most likely to get up.

My first pheasant!

Pheas1 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:32:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#22]
Thanks for pointing me to this thread.

It really brings back my hunting days in Nebraska. The only difference is we didn't have dogs. We had permission on several very large farms to hunt and the farmers were very helpful. They would show us where the birds would likely be. We would form a line and walk the birds up/ Take some steps, stop, take more steps and every now and then talk loudly. It was slow covering ground but we never failed to get birds every time out.

When I returned home I hunted with my father who owned a brace of Brit's. We got a lot of birds. After a while I got a Brit. myself. She was one great dog. I used to claim she was part cat. When she hit scent she would slow down and and drop her front so she looked more like a cat on the prowl. I never new her to push a bird into running.  I miss her a lot.

EBR
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Great pics, OP. I miss my bird hunting days in SD. Great times!
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By EBR666:
Thanks for pointing me to this thread.

It really brings back my hunting days in Nebraska. The only difference is we didn't have dogs. We had permission on several very large farms to hunt and the farmers were very helpful. They would show us where the birds would likely be. We would form a line and walk the birds up/ Take some steps, stop, take more steps and every now and then talk loudly. It was slow covering ground but we never failed to get birds every time out.

When I returned home I hunted with my father who owned a brace of Brit's. We got a lot of birds. After a while I got a Brit. myself. She was one great dog. I used to claim she was part cat. When she hit scent she would slow down and and drop her front so she looked more like a cat on the prowl. I never new her to push a bird into running.  I miss her a lot.

EBR
View Quote

Just put a flush sequence in the 2022 thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Kansas-2022/4-704037/?r=-1&page=1&anc=12077623#i12077728
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top