Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2018 4:00:05 PM EDT
What is your next hunt?

When are you planning on going?

What is your intended list of animals?

What country/province/conservancy are you planning g on hunting?

Who is the PH you intend to hunt with?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I am looking at 2020.

Of all goes well financially I will be hunting buff in Rhodesia with a limited bag of plains game ( species native to the area and not available on SA).

I hope to hunt in the area around Bulawayo.

I have not decided on a PH there yet.

Plan B is a plains game hunt in Either Namibia or the Eastern Cape and concentrating on the Tiny 10.

If it’s Namabia it will be with Oelofse Safaris about 3 hours north of Windhoek.

Species will be Gemsbuck, Steenbuck, Duiker, Klipspringer, Mountain Zebra, and Black Wildebeest plus any good trophies of opportunity.

If it’s the eastern cape

Cape Bushbuck, Bushpig, Caracal, Cape Eland, common and Mountain Reedbucks, SteenBuck, eastern Cape Kudu, Porcupine, Vaal Reedbuck, Common Duiker, Blue Duiker, Brown Bush Duiker, Bat Earwd a Fox, Grysbuck, Klipspringer, Oribi,

Rifle wise for the buff trip willl be a Kreighoff DR in 470 NE and a 30/06.

For PG it will likely be my trusty 30/06 again combined with something extremely flat shooting which will probably be a 22-250 and premium bullets.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I am looking to hunt buff and kudu.  It will be either summer 2019 or summer 2020 depending on my how the end of this year works out professionally.  I am thinking about going to Zim and/or Namibia, probably transiting through RSA and visiting friends there.  I will likely work in some plains game while I am at it.  I'd like to take a black wildebeest and some more warthogs.

I recently purchased an unfired Ruger Safari Magnum chambered in 416 Rigby for the buff hunt.  I'll take that and either my 375 H&H or my 300 Win Mag, depending on how the hunt and game list shapes up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 3:07:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#3]
planning on Namibia in 2020 for plains game.  kudu, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, mountain zebra, haretbeest , oryx, eland, springbok, steenbok, warthog and giraffe are on my list . possibly 2 gemsbok if i find more then one trophy. im planning on 12 full days hunting and one day off. traveling through Qatar possibly. i have 2 places narrowed down.

if things in SA are still ok by then i may extend the trip for buff and hunt limpopo after namibia.  if i do that then i would see if i can get on a bushbuck as well as a nice ram impala .
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in South Africa right now. Shot a Black Wildabeest and Oryx today. My next hunt will for the pile of money I’ll need to find to come back here. This has been awesome.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sumo6:
I am in South Africa right now. Shot a Black Wildabeest and Oryx today. My next hunt will for the pile of money I’ll need to find to come back here. This has been awesome.
View Quote
Glad you are having a good time.  Please post pics!
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sumo6] [#6]
Originally Posted By MikeDeltaFoxtrot:

Glad you are having a good time.  Please post pics!
View Quote
I will post pics when I get home. I’ll need time to sort through and find decent pics. My wife has been burning pics on a DSLR and we don’t have a way of viewing them here.

Shot a big Blesbok today. Tomorrow we’re looking for Kudu. We’ve seen several nice ones already.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
No exact time frame yet, depending on my family situation,finances ect.
Vaal Rhebuck, Cape Grysbuck, and time permitting ,Klipspringer.
Eastern Cape Province.
Likely will be using John X safaris, or a PH that used to work for them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:30:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skg_Mre_Lght] [#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:
No exact time frame yet, depending on my family situation,finances ect.
Vaal Rhebuck, Cape Grysbuck, and time permitting ,Klipspringer.
Eastern Cape Province.
Likely will be using John X safaris, or a PH that used to work for them.
View Quote
have you hunted with john x? ive eyed them before
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#10]
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

have you hunted with john x? ive eyed them before
View Quote
@bikerman9967  Yes I have. Many years ago. They were very small then with one lodge in the Karoo and one in the eastern Cape. Now they have a new lodge and vastly expanded property that (from what I hear) is gorgeous. Everything was very professional and I would absolutely use them again. They now have Cape Buffalo on their property in the Cape,one of the few places in the Cape region who does. The same family still runs it now. They may not be the cheapest but you will not have any disappointments. However, their Cape Buffalo hunt would be more of a "Ranch hunt", unlike the Limpopo. As far as I know you can hunt everything that you mentioned for desired species  in your above post, they even have giraffe there. You may have to drive a bit north (day trip possibly) to the drier areas for Gemsbok and Black wildebeest. With them I got a decent Black wildebeest, cape kudu, Hartebeest, gemsbok, Impala, Springbok, 2 Common Duikers, mountain Zebra, Blesbok, Steenbok and a couple Springbok. I had opportunity for cape Grysbok, Eland,Bushbuck, Black and white Springbok, Klipspringer, Cape Bushbuck, Vaal Rhebuck and fallow deer but passed them up because my wallet was empty. FYI, If you are after a huge Kudu, areas further to the North in RSA and also Namibia have much larger Kudu, the true pure greater Kudu. The cape Kudu is a smaller subspecies with thinner browner coats, smaller,shorter, and chocolate colored horns, and smaller in stature. However from John X's facebook recently, they are harvesting some huge Greater Kudu's lately.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:

@bikerman9967  Yes I have. Many years ago. They were very small then with one lodge in the Karoo and one in the eastern Cape. Now they have a new lodge and vastly expanded property that (from what I hear) is gorgeous. Everything was very professional and I would absolutely use them again. They now have Cape Buffalo on their property in the Cape,one of the few places in the Cape region who does. The same family still runs it now. They may not be the cheapest but you will not have any disappointments. However, their Cape Buffalo hunt would be more of a "Ranch hunt", unlike the Limpopo. As far as I know you can hunt everything that you mentioned for desired species  in your above post, they even have giraffe there. You may have to drive a bit north (day trip possibly) to the drier areas for Gemsbok and Black wildebeest. With them I got a decent Black wildebeest, cape kudu, Hartebeest, gemsbok, Impala, Springbok, 2 Common Duikers, mountain Zebra, Blesbok, Steenbok and a couple Springbok. I had opportunity for cape Grysbok, Eland,Bushbuck, Black and white Springbok, Klipspringer, Cape Bushbuck, Vaal Rhebuck and fallow deer but passed them up because my wallet was empty. FYI, If you are after a huge Kudu, areas further to the North in RSA and also Namibia have much larger Kudu, the true pure greater Kudu. The cape Kudu is a smaller subspecies with thinner browner coats, smaller,shorter, and chocolate colored horns, and smaller in stature. However from John X's facebook recently, they are harvesting some huge Greater Kudu's lately.
View Quote
thanks for the info. more or less ill end up in namibia for this time around. there seems to be better value for sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]

thanks for the info. more or less ill end up in namibia for this time around. there seems to be better value for sure.
View Quote
Happy to help- Good luck and post pics!
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
Interesting. I've been looking at Namibia for a hunt next year, I'll look those guys up. I've hunted RSA and Zimbabwe, both of them are questionable right now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Interesting. I've been looking at Namibia for a hunt next year, I'll look those guys up. I've hunted RSA and Zimbabwe, both of them are questionable right now.
View Quote
a lot more free range in namibia then RSA. many land owners are farmers as well and hunt game on their property. due to them not having to buy it from a game farm its much cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
What is your next hunt?

When are you planning on going?

What is your intended list of animals?

What country/province/conservancy are you planning g on hunting?

Who is the PH you intend to hunt with?
View Quote

South Africa, again
June-July timeframe
Kudu for sure, and one of those tiny antelope that the name escapes me so I can do a full body on my mantle.
Michael Mueller, I have hunted with him 3 times. Last time was a Cape Buffalo Hunt.  That was excited to say the least.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:24:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnvilUSMC] [#16]
@Hasher1, just did buff in July in the region you are interested in with Sentinel Limpopo Safaris. Great experience, great people, great hunts. We hunted the two properties that they have. The 5 day trophy buffalo bull package was basically $10k for everything except airfare. Adding in an additional 5 days of PG hunting was quite reasonable too. Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Here is my 41"+ buff.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top