Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2021 1:01:22 PM EDT
I started the pandemic with various N95 masks - 3m, Harbor Freight, Ammex - along with some ASTM level 2 and 1 face masks. I also had 40mm and 3m Bayonet p100 and CBRN canisters for half and full face respirators. I have managed to keep up stock and reuse masks as needed - I have a forward facing job that requires face to face contact with folks who are covid positive.

In order to stretch the supply of N95's and also have something that is more comfortable to wear when not "face to face" I turned to the available kn95 and KF94 masks.

I have found good KN95's from WellBefore that are adjustable and have good independent testing. They are individually sealed and great for throwing in a bag or glove box.
I also have found KF94- the Korean style masks to be quite comfortable. My biggest issue with KN95's are the flexibility with breathing. The KF94's are more rigid and fit my rather large face quite well. Some are adjustable, some are not. They use earloops, and also come individually packaged. Some have an FFP2 rating (European N95 equivalent)

I through this out there because i have always kept an N95 or two in each vehicle for emergencies. The KN95 and KF94's being sealed and stored folded flat are useful for storing in the car, they can be donned quickly and likely provide protection approaching N95. Useful for prepping I think and storing a quality mask without taking up too much space.

For all day where I still prefer a good fitting N95- preferably with a valve, but the Wellbefore KN95's and the BOTN and Blue KF94's have served well and I intend to continue to stash some away for whatever comes next.

Anyone else find a good alternative?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you wanting the N95s for?  Coronavirus?  Painting?  Dust?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Our fire departments have switched over to P100 half face respirators.  Better fit, less fogging of glasses.  We have both MSA and Scott’s brand.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing I wear N95s for is confirmed TB patients.

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If you need N95s, buy N95s.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our fire departments have switched over to P100 half face respirators.  Better fit, less fogging of glasses.  We have both MSA and Scott’s brand.
View Quote

Or better than N95s. I use 3m half face respirators for some work tasks, but about to run out of filters for them. MSA fits me better and I like their small P100 filters, but I can't tolerate their "hycar" rubber.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a full case of N95s at start of covid..still have about half, I farmed some out to family in health care an I don't go out much, except to hike or fish.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Cambridge masks N99ish. https://cambridgemask.com/
I have worn them for years for allergies and keep them in my go bags.
All of our staff that worn them in office treating patients have not contracted the corona yet and all the staff wearing just procedure masks have gotten it.
I was amazed when I dumped muriatic acid down my sink and the fumes tried to kill me the mask worked and blocked all detectable fumes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought KN95 masks from Bonafide masks. The price was reasonable, and I was confident that I was buying directly from an known retailer and not getting knock-offs. The cost goes down as you buy more, and they are averaging around $.55 per mask if you get 30.

I think these masks are the best option for the money. The ones I got have been decent and worked well. I've read reports of independent tests and these have performed well, and they were well priced, so I got them. Even if there was no pandemic ever again, going forward, I will keep using them for other tasks like sanding woodwork and other work that puts out a lot of dust or particles. I used to do work and only wore a mask or respirator for pretty dirty work. Now I realize, why was I cheaping out? If I'm doing dirty and dusty work, I'll use the mask. I don't mean cutting some 2x4's outside. I still would not wear a mask for that. But for other jobs with more dust and junk in the air, I'll break out a mask.

https://bonafidemasks.com/Powecom-kn-95/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top