Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2021 12:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin]
It seems many states are like WA, where they force you to buy a license ($497 for non-res) in order to apply for special hunts. Well maybe I live in FL, and I want to hunt elk in WA but only if I draw a special hunt, thats $497 + $110 for the special hunt permit. It could take you 10 years or more spending $610 each year just putting in for the special hunt you want!

Are there states that dont require non-res to purchase the license in order to apply for special hunts (or any hunt if your state is draw only?)

OR

What states will reimburse the license fee if you are not drawn? (I know there's at least 1 but I can't remember where)

I'm just looking for some out of state quality elk hunts that I can drive to from WA that aren't cost prohibitive to put in for. Our "quality" hunts in WA are essentially once in a lifetime by the time you get drawn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm also in Florida and I've looked around.  Ain't gonna be no cheap special hunts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Not Idaho, non resident elk tag just went from $481 to $651 and that doesn't include the $185 for the general license.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgeline001] [#3]
I’m not BSing when I say don’t bother with Oregon unless you want to spend big bucks for a guide and put in for a draw. Eastern land owner tags for even more money. Our herds of mule deer and elk have been decimated by mostly cougar in the last 10 years is the reason I say a guide unless you know someone here.

ETA. Colorado is where I’d check first. Then Idaho and Montana. But you have your price point for Idaho and I know some well versed big game hunters that have even been skunked in Id. and going in blind.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Utah is $593 for general and bull elk. $218 for antlerless elk.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It’ll cost you almost 100 bucks just to apply here in Colorado
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
It’ll cost you almost 100 bucks just to apply here in Colorado
View Quote

Thats reasonable compared to over $500 most other places. And you're not required to buy a license in order to apply?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]
All CO hunters, both resident and non-resident, are required to buy a small game license for $84 before they can get their name into the draw for tags for each game management unit for big game (elk, deer, moose, pronghorn, sheep, goats, bear, lion, etc).  You can submit as many requests for different GMUs, for each type of season and big game (archery, black powder, gun) and I believe each submittal is a $9 fee.  If you are successful in the draw you will be charged a non-resident license fee soon after your name is drawn, so you have to make sure to have a credit card on file with the CPW.  The non-resident fee for elk for 2021 is s $670.25 for Bull Elk (Antlered) or Either Sex Elk tags and $503.12 for cow/calf (Antlerless).

That being said, you can also submit your name for just the preference points for all the big game species you may want to hunt at some point in future years, for $9 for each species, but you still have to buy the non-resident small game license for $84. They know up front you're not going to buy a non-resident license, and send you a confirmation each year that you gained a preference point for the species applied for.  You can use these preference points to get a higher percentage success ratio of being drawn for the better and more highly sought after GMUs, those that have a higher kill ratio of the species you're after.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I spend 1175 on a non-res big game combo in MT / didnt draw this year though waiting on my partial refund.  Will put in for alternate list in May.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SanchoCobb:
I spend 1175 on a non-res big game combo in MT / didnt draw this year though waiting on my partial refund.  Will put in for alternate list in May.
View Quote

I hit on the alternate list last year and had to pass on it due to a family emergency. I was super bummed.  Will probably have to wait until 2022 or 2023 to try again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately the big game thing has gotten real popular.  Some primo units here take 20+ years to draw.  By the time you get 20 years of preference points, it’ll probably take 30.  Almost a hundred bucks a year just for the chance.  
But we do thank all the Point bankers for their monetary support, CPW is spending a lot of it on a local range.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Unfortunately the big game thing has gotten real popular.  Some primo units here take 20+ years to draw.  By the time you get 20 years of preference points, it’ll probably take 30.  Almost a hundred bucks a year just for the chance.  
But we do thank all the Point bankers for their monetary support, CPW is spending a lot of it on a local range.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/E5E6B724-C4F8-430A-B0A5-BC379476D05D_jpe-1924012.JPG
View Quote

It's unfortunate that the system has become so point-based, feels a lot like pay-to-play.  I moved to Colorado around 6 years ago at age 23 and I have no long term plans to hunt in my state because it seems hopeless to start saving points now for things like sheep, moose, etc.  By the time I have the 20 required it will take 30.  By the time I get 10 more from there it will take 35.  Not to mention how much the cost will increase in that time.  Good thing cows taste the same!
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Colorado has over the counter bull elk tags.  Around $650.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You might look into WY. I have been building up points there, you can even buy points after the draw. BUT they have been raising that they charge. But the hunting is AMAZING.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top