Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2020 9:57:38 AM EDT
I am curious what people took away from their Boy Scout experience. Beyond the whole honor, truthfulness etc.  Actual skills.

To this day I still use my knot type skills a lot.  Like square notes and slip knots.

Outdoors I use the fire making skills a lot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Eagle Scout here(2006), and spent my young adult years working as a Guide in the Adirondacks mt's at a boy scout camp.

Fire Starting, Canoeing, Setting up a camp site, fishing, best practices while hiking, water purifying, reading a map and compass.....endless really.  I really loved my time in Scouts and it shaped me to the man i am today, it's a damn shame what the organization has become today....it's where i learned to shoot a gun...everything

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to quit. I quit after a short stint. Now I am helping other boys grow into young men and hopefully not make the mistakes I did.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eagle Scout here(2006), and spent my young adult years working as a Guide in the Adirondacks mt's at a boy scout camp.

Fire Starting, Canoeing, Setting up a camp site, fishing, best practices while hiking, water purifying, reading a map and compass.....endless really.  I really loved my time in Scouts and it shaped me to the man i am today, it's a damn shame what the organization has become today....it's where i learned to shoot a gun...everything

View Quote

I forgot about learning how to use a map and compass.  I do use that outdoors a lot.

It is sad what it has become.  My father was not an outdoors or gun owner type.  I learned that all from the scouts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Knots, shooting (.22 rifle), plant ID, camp fire cooking, scouting was a GREAT experience in my life.

I regret not making Eagle - had all the necessary requirements met, never put together a service project.

Other interests (ladies) took over.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I washed out in cub scouts, I hated it.

I did learn that the more work your dad does on the pinewood derby car, the more it will win.

Thanks for the life lesson dad, he just cut out my stupid shape for me without even trying to nudge me towards something aerodynamic.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not to quit. I quit after a short stint. Now I am helping other boys grow into young men and hopefully not make the mistakes I did.
View Quote

The "never quit" lesson is a bad one in my opinion.

If you quit something, do it because there is a better opportunity or something new that you want to try.

Everyone quits their first job or 5, it's how you really find out what you enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Best thing I retained:
Be Prepared and help others.
I was looking for some masks to share and I found my old Scout mess kit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
didn't make it past Star, but had a couple of excellent Scout Masters... both WWII Vets, one a combat Marine in the Pacific, the other an OSS officer in the Balkans...

orienteering, tracking, fire and cooking skills, safety preparations

one of the better programs my school district attempted was a "teacher as counselor" program where an incoming 9th grade class would take homeroom with the same teacher for all 4 years... I could check on their academic progress and got to know them as young adults better... the kids liked it...one year I had 4 Eagle Scouts in the same class... I gave each a Victorinox Farmer, and swore them to not open the boxes until they got home (school knife policy)... one to the USNA, one to USMA, one to Duke in medicine, one to UF in architecture
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Knot tying and Fire starting
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Be prepared.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, a lot.  Practical skills and personal behavior.

But I think of it the most when I'm lashing stuff together in my garden using skills from the pioneering merit badge.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Knots and fire.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Fire starting, knots, 1st aid, camping & hiking skills.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Be prepared.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably my biggest regret in life is not joining the scouts. I can see so many ways my life would have been different.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#17]
How to lay down a good profanity laced rant.

RIP Scoutmaster Bob.  

Knots, being prepared, first aid,  problem solving, teamwork.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Eagle Scout here.  Knots, backpacking, wilderness survival.  Cooking outside, lashings etc...still use them and now I’m a Scoutmaster.  My oldest just made Eagle last Wed.  He knows A LOT more outdoor skills than his non scouting friends.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Good basic skills.

The depravity of man.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I learned how to tie a tie out of my Boy Scout handbook...
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#22]
"Be prepared" has served me well over the years. It ALWAYS works.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#23]
1) Fire starting - I'm amazed at how many people I know that can't start a fire worth a darn
2) First Aid - helped choking child, witnessed UTV accident and was able to help out after everyone was ejected in multiple directions
3) Navigation - map reading, compass use, stars
4) Cooking - remember learning how to cook in scouts?  Sure, you and your buddies screwed up.  But you got to start somewhere.  Our team also won 1st place for making pizza in a dutch oven during a camporee.  
5) Leadership
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#24]
First aid, at least what was taught back then.
Maps and navigation. I know so many people who can't figure out a map that doesn't orient itself and give them a little "you are here" blinker. Forget topos.
Camping basics
Hiking basics
The importance of spare socks and good footwear.
How to sharpen an axe
How to plan ahead. Being responsible (or at least having it seem that way) for the planning for my patrol for a long weekend of hiking and camping leads to an understanding of basic human logistics and considering alternatives and backup plans. It's not preparing the invasion of Normandy, but for an early teen it definitely created habits and skills that have been built on. Again, I'm always amazed at how many of my peers think a plan is a single layer where you assume everything goes how you want and all your assumptions were true. They don't plan for human foibles or consider the individuals involved. They don't make sure all the elements of the plan are actually compatible. They don't TEST elements of their plan before they're needed to make sure they will work as intended.
That most people really don't learn on their own and have to be nudged constantly down the path.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#25]
How to run with the big dogs
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I learned teamwork doing shared goals with my patrol.  I learned logistics in preparation of outings and events and most importantly I learned an appreciation of the natural world.
My troops spent a lot of time orienteering, tracking, hiking and eating  sandy food in the Anza Borrego desert..
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Emergency preparedness, first aid, safety, cooking, knots, citizenship in the community and nation, home repairs, painting, plant and tree ID

After many years, no longer use camping, hiking, pioneering

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#28]
"Be Prepared"

Leadership

Outdoor skills - First Aid, ropes/knots, campsites, hiking, cooking, maps/nav, etc.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Never been a boy scout but I learned all the above mentioned skills (and a lot more) when I was in school. Map reading, compass, navigation was taught at 4th grade Geography class. We even had a shooting range in the school's basement.
It's hard to comprehend how someone wouldn't know how to start a fire. It's like knowing how to ride a bicycle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The "never quit" lesson is a bad one in my opinion.

If you quit something, do it because there is a better opportunity or something new that you want to try.

Everyone quits their first job or 5, it's how you really find out what you enjoy.
View Quote

Yeah, that's definitely true.

The cost of sticking with something is often not using those resources doing something more rewarding.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Probably my biggest regret in life is not joining the scouts. I can see so many ways my life would have been different.
View Quote

I think it really depends on the troop.  Ours was run by a guy who really didn't seem interested in any of the outdoors activities.  Honestly, most of my memories were of doing voluntold work, and fundraising. Pretty much all of the outdoors skills I learned as a kid were from my dad.

I was really disappointed with the time I spent as a scout.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Eagle Scout 1997
Learned many of the points already coverd.
Our troop was heavy on Order of the Arrow and explorer type trips so we did lots of backpacking and independent type events.
Rifle merit badge was a matter of pride circa 1992.
Goose Pond was always a fun summer.

Anyone remember how to cook an egg in a paper bag?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Eagle Scout 1997
Learned many of the points already coverd.
Our troop was heavy on Order of the Arrow and explorer type trips so we did lots of backpacking and independent type events.
Rifle merit badge was a matter of pride circa 1992.
Goose Pond was always a fun summer.

Anyone remember how to cook an egg in a paper bag?
View Quote

No. Boy Scout link?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#34]
All kinds of things, first aid, fire making, survival.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I was involved in Scouts as a youth, and as an adult, was a Scoutmaster until last year.

Skills I use daily?

Interesting question.

I went to a meeting the other week, and --in front of  all the high-ups-- a co-worker had to "sign-in" to get credit for attending, and had to borrow my pen. Then after the meeting said, "you took good notes, right?"

Looking like deadwood in a down-turning economy in front of the bosses... Not a good idea.

Yes, there are skills I learned as a Scout that I apply every day. From my first merit badge class, where I made sure to have a notepad and writing tool...

Survival skills? I don't really use those skills every day. Knot tying? I don't really use those skills every day. Compass course? I don't really use those skills every day. Fire starting? I don't build many fires. Tent camping? I don't really use those skills every day.

Skills in being prepared and taking responsibility? I use those skills every day.

Skills in meeting new people and building teamwork? I use those skills every day.

Hard work, and being willing to learn new things? I use those skills every day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be prepared.
Yup.

Yes!   The term missing?  Always!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#37]
1) Knotwork/Ropework
2) General Camp Skills
3) Animal tracks identification
4) How to sharpen a blade
5) Canoeing
6) Charity builds character
7) That Edwards kid will intentionally try to poke you in the eye in flag football

I pretty much only use 6 and 7 on a daily basis
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No. Boy Scout link?
View Quote

So it seems there were a few ways; one involved the bottom of the bag and sides bring slathered with crisco, layering the bag with bacon, or filling the bag with water.
I'll have to try these methods and report back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#40]
My field craft is not what it used to be, but I can still live for a reasonable period of time off the land.  And, unfortunately, I can also recognize when a situation is just not tenable.  When I was a teenager I could have just walked into the woods and disappeared for however long it took.  Being a hillbilly has it's advantages.  

As Scouts we were expected to plan and execute a camping trip every month.  That was the expectation for the Troop.  The adults just drove the cars and paid for stuff from Troop funds.  I learned early on the necessity of teamwork, planning, organization, and accountability.  

I learned my basic first aid, lifeguard skills, field craft, cooking, indigenous plants, and some kind of interesting patrol techniques courtesy of an Assistant Scout Master who was sporting a serious case of PTSD from his days in Viet Nam.  We gave him a sense of "normal" because he was kind of a rock star to a bunch of kids wanting to learn how to live in the field.  It was a great time to be a kid.  My old Scout Master still drops by to visit from time to time and I don't think he's lost touch with any of the guys.  

I would not recommend Scouting to a young man today under any circumstances.  The BSA is dead to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I loved Cub Scouts.  Unfortunately, right before I was supposed to get my Bear Badge, the whole pack folded.  The pack leader stepped down, and no one would step up and take over, so the pack shut down.  All the dens under that pack folded at once.

My lesson for that is that there needs to be a backup - preferably more than one person - so that if one person dies or gives up, things don't come to an end.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Hands down the Scout Law.  It has helped me be a better human being.  I could park here for hours and preach it. You can't put a value on how much more important this is than any "skill" you could learn for say earning a merit badge.

Edit:  ok I have to add all the cool songs we would sing...where do you think "baby shark" really originated?   ...not YouTube!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Always be prepared. I always carry a pocket knife and a way to make fire.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I learned that the vast majority of people are scared of the dark. And the #1 thing I remember is that when most of those turds were happy about being "allowed" to carry a pocket knife my dad had me and my brother in the woods with an AR each. Back when there were only two options...long or short.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:13:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I tie knots left-handed, so the only knot the Boy Scouts taught me was the square knot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a duty to help other people, especially the younger and weaker.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#47]
My Scout leader was a Paratrooper and was shot through the feet by the Germans in WWII. One thing I have carried all my life was him demonstration how to maneuver a canoe. That J stroke.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Use kerosene / gasoline mix starting fires.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Girls are funner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Girls are funner.
View Quote

This could be taken in the wrong way in so many ways WTF.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top