Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2020 10:41:23 AM EDT
Apologies is this question has been beat to death already. Is there a better / best app or program from studying for your ham license?  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a paid app I have since deleted but for my General and Extra licenses, just hamstudy.org on my cellphone and it was free, and I would do that instead of an app because it saves your progress across all of your devices.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Join over at QRZ.com (free), they have free on line practice tests. Make up a user name until you get a (call sign) license.
Rob
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not just buy a license manual and study it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Hamstudy.org. free, no advertising, and you get to see all the current test questions. It tracks your progress and and I guarantee you will pass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
For my Technician license, I downloaded "The No-Nonsense Technician-Class License Study Guide" from KB6NU.  The Technician class guide is free.

I read it from start to finish 3 times and then used the app Ham Test Prep to take practice exams.

I passed on my first try with 100%.

I figured the "No-Nonsense" guide for technician worked so well, I bought the General class guide.  Wow.  I am not grasping any of the electronics as well as I did in the Technician guide.  The Ham Test Prep app has the General exams too, but I haven't tried them yet since I'm struggling with the study guide.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
The QRZ online tests are ok. As I remember, they use questions from the actual pool. Do enough runs and you will have seen them all.
My wife wanted a licence, she knows practically nothing about radio. Had her do these for half an hour every day for two weeks. She took her test and passed first time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hamstudy.org. free, no advertising, and you get to see all the current test questions. It tracks your progress and and I guarantee you will pass.
View Quote
I also highly recommend this one. Go ahead and spend the $3 to actually buy the app, it makes it SUPER helpful to study even when you've just got a few minutes - like at work taking a break.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
hamcram.com
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck, OP

You will be glad you did it.

ETA: And when you get it, never let it lapse, even if you lose interest. It will be a real bitch to get it back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top