Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2021 7:36:10 AM EDT
It's a little more than the beloved UV-5r, but it claims IP67 water resistance.  They are also available for purchase.

Anybody have experience?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Was wondering the same about the uv9r plus. Says 18w and a larger battery.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
ost
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The inflated wattage on all these "next gen" baofengs is all marketing lies. At absolute best you might get about 6 watts on high, but its still a nominal 5 watts.  I have a 9r plus and have metered it myself.

The uv9r and the GT-3wp appear to be the same other than cosmetic case differences.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The inflated wattage on all these "next gen" baofengs is all marketing lies. At absolute best you might get about 6 watts on high, but its still a nominal 5 watts.  I have a 9r plus and have metered it myself.

The uv9r and the GT-3wp appear to be the same other than cosmetic case differences.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. Kinda figured that was the case.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the water resistance?

Are these not as good as the UV-5r or just the same?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about the water resistance?

Are these not as good as the UV-5r or just the same?
View Quote
They are a little bigger in the hand and should be a bit more water resistant, they have rubber seals around the battery terminal contacts and such, but I don't plan to toss mine in a tub of water to find out for sure.

Only other major difference is the different accessory/programming connector, which was also done to enhance the water resistance, and it uses a separate belt hanger arrangement instead of a fixed belt clip on the 9r.  From there, function layout and use is basically exactly the same as the 5r.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I left one attached to the rops on an open tractor for most of last winter while plowing.  Snow and rain didn't kill it.  The PTT button did break though, they are kind of weak.  I ended up covering it with plasti-dip.  That works, but less than ideal.  I have a couple of GT-3 radios for my kick arounds now.  They seem to be more robust and better sealed.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Get an FT-70, they are IP54, and from a well known brand.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...I don't plan to toss mine in a tub of water...
View Quote

A friend didn't intend to drop his in a Port-A-Potty, but that's what happened.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A friend didn't intend to drop his in a Port-A-Potty, but that's what happened.
View Quote
... Did it still work?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The GT3-WP has the Motorola style speaker mic plate rather than the usual Kenwood 2-pin receptacle.  This helps with sealing the radio. Just don't get your hopes up on the IP67 submersion rating being really good on a 50 dollar handheld.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get an FT-70, they are IP54, and from a well known brand.
View Quote

I have FT-60's and VX-170's.  The VX-170 is built like a tank, but it is discontinued.

The Yaesus don't have the same coverage as the Baofengs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a GT-3wp.  It is very sturdy.  The waterproof is for the mic connector, as that's the usually 'leak' point on submerged handhelds.  The GT3wp works fine with chirp.  The radio is not completely 'front panel programmable', so understand that this is more of an 'appliance' than a full use radio as you must program with chirp to get normal use out of it.  It's a decent beater radio.  
If you want a radio that's tighter than a frog's ass for a mic connector, get a yaesu vx6 or something similar.
As for performance, the gt3wp is ok.  Not great, not noticeably bad.  On par with other Baos.  
I haven't been able to find an AA battery tray, which I think is a 'must have' for HTs.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top