Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2018 5:37:30 PM EDT
https://www.ar15.com/member/user.html?id=70628

I have not seen him post in over 2 years.  Was going through some old IM's and saw his name, when it dawned on me that I have not seen him.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The other day I was trying to remember his name. All I recalled for certain was he was from SC.

Thanks for the answer and hopefully someone can answer your question
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a new phenomenon? Where people make threads asking where random posters have gone after they have moved on from arfcom? Or has this always been a common occurance
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this a new phenomenon? Where people make threads asking where random posters have gone after they have moved on from arfcom? Or has this always been a common occurance
View Quote
I dont know, but this is the survival section and he was pretty well known in here and over 60 years old.  If he moved on from Arf, it was to heaven.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for interest.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Ops used to be close friends with him I think. But he doesn't post any more either as far as I know.

TJ might know.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I was wondering a while back where he went...
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I found an obituary that matches his name and town.

I'll post more later when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I found an obituary that matches his name and town.

I'll post more later when I get home.
View Quote
That sucks.  I guess I'll have to leave my user name/password and directions for my son to leave a note when I pass on  It's a little morbid, but you do develop "cyber" friendships here but it's not as public as Facebook (thank God).
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Once I confirm it I will put together a little obituary here for him.

He always would say his wife was sick but I am starting to think that was a cover story and it was really him.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn that sucks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he the one that started the "pay it forward" thread"?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he the one that started the "pay it forward" thread"?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I was not able to confirm this, but his name, age, Veteran status and Masonic Lodge all match to the man that I knew.

Rusteerooster,  69,  passed away Thursday evening, August 3, 2017 at Medical University of South Carolina.

Born May 19, 1948 in Fort Monroe, Virginia.

He   served his country in the United States Navy and served in Vietnam.  He was also a Master Mason.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at www.lls.org.

=================
I edited alot of it out, but thats plenty.

The suggested donation to, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society suggests that he may have died from that.
===============================================================

Some of the letters to his family touch on his generosity and compassion for his fellow man.
Like this one,
We have had many discussions on the web and we have had many discussions on the phone, he was always a wonderful guy that I admired.  I am very sorry for our loss, may God continue to bless each of you and give you peace knowing his work here is done.

and

We will miss him so much.  He was like part of our family.  One of the best men we have ever had the privilege of knowing. We are so sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I dont know, but this is the survival section and he was pretty well known in here and over 60 years old.  If he moved on from Arf, it was to heaven.
View Quote
Hell, he was over 60 when.i met him in 2004 I think....

Very decent and generous man. Wish I could have gotten to know him better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was not able to confirm this, but his name, age, Veteran status and Masonic Lodge all match to the man that I knew.

Rusteerooster,  69,  passed away Thursday evening, August 3, 2017 at Medical University of South Carolina.

Born May 19, 1948 in Fort Monroe, Virginia.

He   served his country in the United States Navy and served in Vietnam.  He was also a Master Mason.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at www.lls.org.

=================
I edited alot of it out, but thats plenty.

The suggested donation to, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society suggests that he may have died from that.
===============================================================

Some of the letters to his family touch on his generosity and compassion for his fellow man.
Like this one,
We have had many discussions on the web and we have had many discussions on the phone, he was always a wonderful guy that I admired.  I am very sorry for our loss, may God continue to bless each of you and give you peace knowing his work here is done.

and

We will miss him so much.  He was like part of our family.  One of the best men we have ever had the privilege of knowing. We are so sorry for your loss.
View Quote
The above is a bit of an understatement. Rustee was a certified Badass.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#16]
To Rusteerooster:

Attachment Attached File

While I haven't been on as much lately, I remember him being a good dude.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#18]
There was a time where some members of the forum got together and someone who had a sawmill cut the boards and someone else (Ops?) delivered some wood for him to help him build a house. Never heard more about it so I always wondered if he ever got it built.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#19]
End of life is so sad. RIP our friend.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There was a time where some members of the forum got together and someone who had a sawmill cut the boards and someone else (Ops?) delivered some wood for him to help him build a house. Never heard more about it so I always wondered if he ever got it built.
View Quote
Shibumiseeker cut the lumber -- a bunch of it.  Ops hauled one load down, and I hauled the other -- along with my old woodstove and a bunch of propane bottles and other stuff from @odontia32m

Spring of 2010 maybe?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember donating towards that.  Rustee was one hell of a great guy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shibumiseeker cut the lumber -- a bunch of it.  Ops hauled one load down, and I hauled the other -- along with my old woodstove and a bunch of propane bottles and other stuff from @odontia32m

Spring of 2010 maybe?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spring of 2010 maybe?
Well  then you guys know his name too.  Google his obit and you can read the whole thing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I was wondering about him the other day.  I was going to pm.  Being caught up in my divorce sure separated us.  Alot of us gave our last dollar and time to help him.  It seemed how could you not.  I probably sent $1000 plus stuff.  My xwife never questioned my motives.

RIP friend
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ops used to be close friends with him I think. But he doesn't post any more either as far as I know.

TJ might know.
View Quote
Ops last I knew moved t. I know the area but not exact. Had several IMs... contact exchanges etc. But that's been 5 years now.
His son with off to the military iirc.

I dealt with rooster via the site and he was a good guy to deal with.
I remember his house building drive.

Internet and people change over time... fuck I'm getting old lol
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:46:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup, I remember that.  I was impressed that an internet forum could draw strangers together to help out a member in need to such an extent.  Since then I've seen it happen a number of times.  It's part of the reason I'm still here.

RIP rustee if indeed you've moved on.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ops last I knew moved t. I know the area but not exact. Had several IMs... contact exchanges etc. But that's been 5 years now.
His son with off to the military iirc.

I dealt with rooster via the site and he was a good guy to deal with.
I remember his house building drive.

Internet and people change over time... fuck I'm getting old lol
View Quote
I remember a post from Ops where he alluded to things not working out so well for his move but I don't think he elaborated. Sounded like he got scammed but maybe I misunderstood. Looks like he hasn't posted since 2016.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I remember a post from Ops where he alluded to things not working out so well for his move but I don't think he elaborated. Sounded like he got scammed but maybe I misunderstood. Looks like he hasn't posted since 2016.
View Quote
I know with what he told me it wasnt peaches and cream. Hopefully it all came together for him.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#28]
He seemed like a very nice and helpful guy.  He contributed a lot of useful info to the SF.

IIRC I met him once around 2005 when he sold something on the EE.  I still have it and will think of him when I use it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
He seemed like a very nice and helpful guy.  He contributed a lot of useful info to the SF.

IIRC I met him once around 2005 when he sold something on the EE.  I still have it and will think of him when I use it.
View Quote
I mentioned  to him one time that I liked old magazines with character. about a week later I got a package with an old Sanchez mag just like i had described in it.

I cherish that mag, because that fine man gave it to me and I knew he must have valued it too. That was about 7 years ago.
He must have gotten sick real quick and wasn't able to get on here and let us know.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember his house building and wondered what happened to him.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I had lunch with him one day years ago, seemed like a good guy...he'll be missed
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I mentioned  to him one time that I liked old magazines with character. about a week later I got a package with an old Sanchez mag just like i had described in it.

I cherish that mag, because that fine man gave it to me and I knew he must have valued it too. That was about 7 years ago.
He must have gotten sick real quick and wasn't able to get on here and let us know.  
View Quote
I met him at a SF Campout, had a few good phone calls with him and one day the mother of all Survival related care packages showed up at my house. I’ve been fortunate to get to know a lot of good people with friendships that started on the Internet, not getting to spend time with Rusty is something I’ll always regret.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#38]
If he is gone. I wish his family well and his soul a peaceful journey.

RIP, RR, you are missed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top