Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Just finished an hour cardio workout. Loaded some stripper clips last night and organized some stuff. 2 day pistol/3 day Pat Rogers carbine class starting Friday. Garden is growing but a few weeks behind normal. Plant class tonight.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Ordered a pair of SmartWool socks from GoBros.com.  They have a no minimum free shipping sale going right now.  I buy all my socks there.  Never owned any SmartWools, but after reading all the great reviews they get here, gonna try some.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
made another payment on the 7.62sdN can.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
More TP and soap for bartering.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Finished reading Patriots.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
More edible plant stuff. Ate a cattail. Pretty yummy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How'd you fix them? We boiled some of the shoots last night and they didn't have much flavor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#8]
go primer and paint for the chicken house.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd you fix them? We boiled some of the shoots last night and they didn't have much flavor.

Ate the male flower portion, with salt and butter.

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ate the male flower portion, with salt and butter.

Did you cook it, or eat it raw.

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Boiled.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Funny you should mention this. I was looking at a big pond full of cattails yesterday. I recalled that the root ball was edible, and if I recall correctly could be made into a paste of some sort (I'll have to dig up my source).

Did you eat the upper portion?

ETA: Nevermind. I see you answered.

Put away 25lbs assorted beans, oil, and shortening. I'm going to go hoe the garden weeds in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Ordered 4 wireless motion sensor / "driveway alarms".

Should cover the front porch, back patio and sides of the house. If not, they're cheap enough.

ebay $16.97 w/ free shipping. Look the same as Harbor Freight.

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

what'd you think?
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I found the following Camping / Survival items at our local Thrift Store over the past 2 days:

New Coleman Stormbeam Max Dynamo Lantern with FM Radio and Cellphone chargers (Retail $58)  Paid $6.

NIB Coleman Liquid Dual Fuel Sportster II One Burner Stove w/ Fuel Filter Funnel (Retail $40)  Paid $6.

NIB Coleman Max CPX 6 Duo LED Lantern - uses 4 "D" batteries or power cartridge (Retail $53)  Paid $10.

NIB Coleman CPX 6 volt Rechargeable Power Cartridge - no AC adapter (Retail $25)  Paid $5.

NIB Wenzel 5 gal Portable Solar Shower (Retail $11.00)  Paid $4.

Like New FIRST NEED XL Drinking Water Purification System w/ field serviceable pump, float w/ prefilter, bladder/carry bag combo - nalgene wide mouth bottle compatible (retail value new $120)  Paid $3.

Matching like new Nalgene Wide Mouth BPA free 1 quart bottle (Retail $11.00)  Paid $1.

Total Retail Value: $318.00 + tax
Total Paid: $35.00 no tax

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found the following Camping / Survival items at our local Thrift Store over the past 2 days:

New Coleman Stormbeam Max Dynamo Lantern with FM Radio and Cellphone chargers (Retail $58)  Paid $6.

NIB Coleman Liquid Dual Fuel Sportster II One Burner Stove w/ Fuel Filter Funnel (Retail $40)  Paid $6.

NIB Coleman Max CPX 6 Duo LED Lantern - uses 4 "D" batteries or power cartridge (Retail $53)  Paid $10.

NIB Coleman CPX 6 volt Rechargeable Power Cartridge - no AC adapter (Retail $25)  Paid $5.

Like New FIRST NEED XL Drinking Water Purification System w/ field serviceable pump, float w/ prefilter, bladder/carry bag combo - nalgene wide mouth bottle compatible (retail value new $120)  Paid $3.

Matching like new Nalgene Wide Mouth BPA free 1 quart bottle (Retail $11.00)  Paid $1.

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy322/NVCapCop/015.jpg

I'm shopping at the wrong thrift stores.  Great score!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Went and got 4 more chickens. Have a total of 6 now.

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 3:02:11 AM EDT
[#18]
picked 2 1/2 gallons straw berries canning toimorrow
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#19]
bought a 110 volt converter for the car.

plug in the converter to the cigarette lighter and I have two electric outlets. It will be enough for the coffee maker, charge cell phones that will be uslless & recharge batteries for my two way radios and to recharge power tools

I don't have the money for  the generator as of now, but its an alternative power source.

added some ammo to the stock pile.

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what'd you think?

It sucks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what'd you think?

It sucks.

I think he asked me.

I thought it was alright. Each of the books  (Lights Out, One Second After and now Patriots) I've read over the last couple months leaves out certain areas of world collaspe and focuses on one thing or another. It was good to get a perspective on folks who had their shit more or less together and had a positive additude about the situation. Ie This is probably as good as its going to get. As it gave me some things to think about. Personally though, I need to read more about the folks who don't have their shit together to gain ideas on how to deal with certain situations and solutions to those things that I may have to deal with myself. Not to say I'm completely un-prepaired, but I do have ways to go on my prep list. And I'm more or less surrounded by folks who truly have no idea what's could be in store for them. Not to say reading Patriots was a complete waste of time, I did gain some insight. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#22]

I think he asked me.

I thought it was alright. Each of the books  (Lights Out, One Second After and now Patriots) I've read over the last couple months leaves out certain areas of world collaspe and focuses on one thing or another. It was good to get a perspective on folks who had their shit more or less together and had a positive additude about the situation. Ie This is probably as good as its going to get. As it gave me some things to think about. Personally though, I need to read more about the folks who don't have their shit together to gain ideas on how to deal with certain situations and solutions to those things that I may have to deal with myself. Not to say I'm completely un-prepaired, but I do have ways to go on my prep list. And I'm more or less surrounded by folks who truly have no idea what's could be in store for them. Not to say reading Patriots was a complete waste of time, I did gain some insight. YMMV.

I'm shooting anyone who comes wheeling up with a wheelbarrow. Frickin cannibals. all of em.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think he asked me.

I'm shooting anyone who comes wheeling up with a wheelbarrow. Frickin cannibals. all of em.

I guess "what I did today" was clean coke off my screen and keyboard  Thanks, man! I needed a good laugh!

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Canned 6 dozen pickled eggs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think he asked me.

No kidding huh..that was pretty gross.

What I did to prep today was purchase 35 pounds of once fired 308 brass.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think he asked me.

Probably a good way to keep yourself safe from Gunkid, too.

I picked up a bolt action .22 LR and 1000 rds of JHP for it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Canned 14 quarts of milk, started a new batch of Napa cabbage, scallion and garlic scape sauerkraut, planted two new elderberry bushes and a couple of grape vines, messed around the garden, shot one mangy f%$^ing coyote.

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Canned 14 quarts of milk, started a new batch of Napa cabbage, scallion and garlic scape sauerkraut, planted two new elderberry bushes and a couple of grape vines, messed around the garden, shot one mangy f%$^ing coyote.

would you eleborate on this in maybe another thread?

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Ordered a coyote brown Eotac Field Jacket from Sportsman's Guide. I have a Lizard camo one that I died brown but it came out sort of a mottled brown camo, which isn't so great in downtown Philly, where I work.  The plain brown jacket will attract less attention.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy322/NVCapCop/015.jpg

I'm shopping at the wrong thrift stores.  Great score!!

No kidding so am I!!!!  I cant find crap in my thrift stores and I am looking at the ones near an affluent neighborhood.

Bought a AK-74 for the wife and for training as the ammo is still damn cheap.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Made $200 extra to pay for all this stuff!
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

would you eleborate on this in maybe another thread?

Your wish is my command, sir. Please proceed to F&G
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Tested our some things today.

I bought a PowerFilm solar panel for recharging my iPhone on the go (for my GHB).

Found that it full sun it worked fine, however, in overcast, even though the panel was making power, it wasn't enough for the phone.

So I decided to get a battery that will accept and store that power, then be able to transfer it to the phone.

Tried it out today.  Works as expected.

Also tested whether or not I could run our bread machine on a battery pack I bought.  Good thing I tested.  I discovered that while it worked for most of the process, in the bake phase the bread machine wanted more power than the little inverter could supply.  It's not a huge issue.  I bought the battery mainly for being able to run a couple low W bulbs and emergency radio.  But if it can be helpful doing other things (like power the coffee machine) it's good to know.

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Decided I should also order up 35 pounds of once fired 556.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Downloaded and printed a copy of KB6NU's "No-Nonsense, General Class License Study Guide" so I can upgrade my ham license from Tech.

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what'd you think?

It sucks.

I think he asked me.

It is kinda a utopian prepping wet dream....but it does give some points to ponder.....and I think that was the intention of the book. I walked away with some new ideas.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Last several days, I've been clearing land for a garden.  Hopefully, I'll have the stumps out and can break ground this fall and start getting ready for next year.  Started a compost  heap.  Running a water line out to garden.  (So glad my company has a ditch witch they don't mind me borrowing!)   Looking into drilling a well so I won't be dependent on tap.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Biked 14 miles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I live a couple of miles from the Mountain House Plant (Oregon Freeze Dry). Just picked up 90 pouches of assorted Mountain House freeze dried packages.

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#40]
got a new mountain bike. Trek 820, started off easy riding 4 miles tonight.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Been lurking for awhile but finally have something worthwhile to post here:
Built my first two post samples  (Sorry only for sale to LE)
Yes I'm a FFL and Class 2 SOT :)
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#42]
dup
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Started our first bulk preps today. 50lbs. rice, 25 lbs sugar, 25lbs salt, 50lbs beans. Purchased about an extra month's worth of food along with our normal food purchase.
Next trip, I think we will go the case route for the canned items.
Now need to get some 5 gal. buckets and mylar for the bulk items.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I make a batch of Char Cord (the black cord is the finished char cord) for my emergency firestarter supply.

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I make a batch of Char Cord (the black cord is the finished char cord) for my emergency firestarter supply.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp197/steelheadfever/IMG_5894.jpg

still have not found cotton rope with enough cotton in it to char right.  I did make some char rope using manila and i made a  quart bag of char cloth
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

still have not found cotton rope with enough cotton in it to char right.  I did make some char rope using manila and i made a  quart bag of char cloth

Go to any hardware store that sells horse tac. A lot of horse bridles are made out of pure cotton rope. I went to a place called D&B supply and they sell a lot of rope and farm supplies. I have never used manila rope but I would like to see how well it stands up to cotton. Does it light as nice as cotton?
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

still have not found cotton rope with enough cotton in it to char right.  I did make some char rope using manila and I made a  quart bag of char cloth

Go to any hardware store that sells horse tac. A lot of horse bridles are made out of pure cotton rope. I went to a place called D&B supply and they sell a lot of rope and farm supplies. I have never used manila rope but I would like to see how well it stands up to cotton. Does it light as nice as cotton?

no. it is a little hard to get going.  i found it is best use it  with a magnifying glass. but I had about 2 1/2" going for about 45 min
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#48]
New shoes (tires) for the Jeep.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Aikido, and garden weeding.

I'm sore.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Aikido, and garden weeding.

I'm sore.

10 more mile on the mountain bike today (on top of the other days 14)

Certain parts sore.
Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top