BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went to a church bazaar on Saturday. Picked up a Wilson tennis racquet bag for $1. I plan to make it a covert carry bag for my AR15 pistol similar to the one made by Blackhawk.
View Quote
I bought, and actually still use, a Wilson racquet case from Walmart ($14). But it's only long enough for the AK pistol (PAP M85 w/ folding shockwave brace).

Can't imagine it fitting an AR pistol without separating the halves, or a receiver extension folding adapter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought, and actually still use, a Wilson racquet case from Walmart ($14). But it's only long enough for the AK pistol (PAP M85 w/ folding shockwave brace).

Can't imagine it fitting an AR pistol without separating the halves, or a receiver extension folding adapter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went to a church bazaar on Saturday. Picked up a Wilson tennis racquet bag for $1. I plan to make it a covert carry bag for my AR15 pistol similar to the one made by Blackhawk.

My 7 inch pistol fits
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
With all the earthquakes going on I thought it best to focus on earthquake stuff this week. Here is a list of some of the things I'm working on/did:

1. Walked around the house and started earthquake proofing it, e.g., tied shelving down to prevent it from falling over, bought some wire shelving ledges to prevent items from falling off the shelves, etc.

2. Building an Emergency Bedside Bag to place by my bed (will provide more info at a later date when I finish the bag)

3. Worked on my evacuation plan and identified various escape routes. While working on the plan I noticed a big issue that needed to be address. I live in a cul-de-sac and there's only one road out. On the side of the road there is this huge tree, which could fall during an earthquake and block the entire road (see pic below). To tackle this problem, I researched tree clearing/felling and bought a chainsaw, with associated equipment. (See 2nd pic below) In the event it falls, I now have the ability to clear it out of the way.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
bought a case of MREs (military version). Wife will never eat one, unless it truly was SHTF situation. I also have some mountain house and legacy stuff for a couple of weeks' worth so I'll probably keep that for long-term and cycle these MREs into my normal diet from time to time just for fun or to take on short trips, etc. If they turn out good, might buy another case, but the legacy stuff might be better for long-term
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
my post Irma list..completed

access door on the inverter generator is small... small funnel to add oil... change oil in both sets
spare spark plug for both generators
new chain for saw
Nitecore 4 slot charger to supplement the 2 slot, and extra USB charger for phone... with power strip to control the chargers from one location...
fuel hose for my squeeze bulb siphon system was cracked... replaced

while my older 5 day cooler kept the perishable food with 4 frozen gallon jugs, for the 3 day outage,  I've decided to dedicate a non used 5 cuft chest freezer to be used as an ice maker next time...in the 2004 season I had a 9 day outage

one disappointment was a 12v trolling motor battery I had planned on powering my portable TV, would not hold a charge...the AA Eneloops did not let me down
the addition of a trailer hitch ball to the riding mover proved invaluable as I could place the larger generator in a utility trailer to move it between the three houses I was supplying periods of power to... the squeeze bulb/siphon allowed each owner to supply their own fuel
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If anyone is thinking about chainsaws...

Lots of newish ones at garage sales. One thing works itself loose and it doesn't just start up easy any more, for sale for ~$30. Done this twice, got them running easy! Sharpen chain and a very nice, very cheap spare chainsaw on hand.

Come to think of it, they all need exercise and final winterizing soon. Father time turning the seasons around again already.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Finished putting together my Emergency Bedside Bag system today. This bag is primarily used during earthquakes and is stored/tethered by/to your bed. 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also started working on my backup power plan this week. Got the Goal Zero Boulder 200 Solar Panel Briefcase to help recharge my Goal Zero Yeti 1000 and other rechargeable items.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Bought yet another 960rd case of MEN762A 7.62 Nato ammo. Excellent ball ammo, great price.

Bought my first ever 'self defense' style 5.56 ammo. 140rds of IMI 77gr SMK.

I haven't 'panicked' since the ATF-Saiga scare before Dec 2012... and now I'm worried about getting my gear squared away in case stuff really kicks off, and not in a way I ever really considered likely almost at all.

And if all this weird stuff kicks off, I might be going into a city to try to support. Probably wouldn't bug out. Not something I even bothered considering.

Congrats Jimmy Kimmel, you're an official ammo salesman now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Got a pretty good deal on a Garmin GPSMAP 64sc at Cabelas over the weekend.

Comes with a year subscription to a satellite service.

Download all the satellite imagery you can in a years time, and all the files are yours to keep even after the subscription ends.

So I've been keeping busy  downloading like crazy.

The 64sc is cool because it has a built in camera that automatically geo locates the photos you take.

Could be really useful for scouting opfor positions as well as lots of other stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought 500 rounds of 300blk. Cabela's was selling them for $23 a box and they're normally $31, couldn't pass that up. Received 300 today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I received my second Champion 200 watt generator.  $469 from Amazon delivered.  I put oil in it and fired it up.  I fired up my older generator too.  They both ran great.  Quiet too.  I let them both run dry.  I have the parallel link and plan to get a transfer box installed before winter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Finished working on my Diagnostic Tool Kit for my first aid system.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Over the last week or so, I have been collecting synthetic oil, filters, spark plugs, air cleaners, carburetors, etc. for our gens and pressure washers. I put them all in a nice bin and labeled it for easy ID in case it is not me doing the repairs/upkeep down the road. I'm still waiting on the spare gen carb and some spark plugs, but the bin is ready.

Today, I did a yearly maintenance on our 7.5k gen.
1) changed oil (synthetic 10/30 small engine oil)
2) oil filter
3) blew out and inspected air cleaner
4) adjusted carb slightly, wouldn't smooth out on gas, LP was fine.
5) load tested the 20amp 110 plug FOUND A PROBLEM

Found a cooked plug. It was a 110 20 amp, easily replaced today. Luckily for inspections, I caught it when I did not need it. Not sure what happened but during a test using a 4.5" angle grinder, I could smell the receptacle burning, it looked like it had been headed down hill for a while. Got a new one from lowes and all is well again.

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Fine tuning some of my evacuation preps this week. Noticed my Get Home/Bug Out system was weak on hygiene so I built a Toiletry Kit (see below). Also building an Evacuation system that will be used to help clear blocked roadways during an evacuation (will post details once completed). 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fine tuning some of my evacuation preps this week. Noticed my Get Home/Bug Out system was weak on hygiene so I built a Toiletry Kit (see below). Also building an Evacuation system that will be used to help clear blocked roadways during an evacuation (will post details once completed). 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/Truck_Tiolletry_Bag-332346.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/Truck_Hygiene_Kit-332347.JPG
View Quote
Love your lists. could you upload or send a template, pretty please.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/Truck_Tiolletry_Bag-332346.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/Truck_Hygiene_Kit-332347.JPG
@2007FL

Sure, which one(s) you want? Just FYI, my inventories are part of a larger system and vary from section to section (e.g., Water, Self Defense, First Aid, etc) of my Disaster Preparedness Plan (see example below). Please note that these documents/templates are created in Microsoft Word 2003 and depending on which one(s) you want, I might not be able to send them to you because of the size (graphics in the template makes it too big to send via an email) 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here is one inventory template from our Water Plan
Attachment Attached File

Here is one inventory template from our Evacuation Plan
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@2007FL

Sure, which one(s) you want? Just FYI, my inventories are part of a larger system and vary from section to section (e.g., Water, Self Defense, First Aid, etc) of my Disaster Preparedness Plan (see example below). Please note that these documents/templates are created in Microsoft Word 2003 and depending on which one(s) you want, I might not be able to send them to you because of the size (graphics in the template makes it too big to send via an email) 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/IMG_20140426_233950-340798.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/IMG_20140426_234014-340799.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/IMG_20140426_234038-340800.JPG

Here is one inventory template from our Water Plan
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/Our_Water_Management_Plan_Page_07-340805.JPG

Here is one inventory template from our Evacuation Plan
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/Get_Home_Bag_Inventory_Page_2-340806.JPG
View Quote
Those 2 would be perfect.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:44:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Swapped out radiators in my BOV, Electric fan, more cores, new water pump, etc.

All numbers good

Then took it out and tested it

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought 2 huge bags of macaroni elbows, 3 cans of asparagus, 20lbs of jasmine rice and 20lbs of dried pinto beans.

Returned the 5 gal. mylar bags I bought mistakenly. Can't see myself needing larger than 2 gal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Cut and stored my elk meat, 4 deer, 2 antelope. I lost 70 lbs (haven't checked in in a while). got 30 new broad heads on sale. cleaned the rugged MK111 and my old truck revolver.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Work on customizing Sketti's list for me!
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought 1000 rounds of 9mm.

Bought the wife a Glock 43.

Working on a survival bag I will keep in the trunk of my Honda.

Hit the gym hard.

Make sure every day I work on at least one thing that will make me faster, stronger, or more lethal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hit the gym hard.

Make sure every day I work on at least one thing that will make me faster, stronger, or more lethal.
View Quote
Good job! I'd like to know how you're setting up your trunk kit. I have a 30 minute commute to work and use my S2000 because it's just so reliable, great on gas and I don't have to take my kids to school (not to mention it looks like a car a clueless yuppy would drive aka gray man), but trunk space is limited. Fingers crossed you have a smaller Honda with limited space and some insight on how to pack for that.

ETA: @Jkbulldogg
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Bought new tires for wife's Jeep and got one those portable mini lithium battery jump starters from Costco.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#26]
This week worked on several things (Active Shooter Kit, Light and Energy Plan, Stress Management Plan, Shelter Plan, First Aid Station):

Based on the recent shooting in TX and the discussions that followed, I felt it best to build some small Active Shooter Kits; one for the house and one for the truck. I built the first kit (Home) this week (see below)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Will provide more info when I have completed what I'm working on with respect to the Light and Energy Plan, Stress Management Plan, Shelter Plan, and First Aid Station.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Assembling a Go Bag for my 85yr old mom.
Looking to order a Rem. TAC14., then I will give my beater pistol grip 870 to a friend.
Closing on a rental property, this will allow us to pay off our only small loan and
buy a new genny and chainsaw.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#28]
My wal mart had ammo cans on clearance, 8.96 each. Got 4.

Throwing it out there if your shopping for ammo cans might want to check your store.

ETA, 50 cal.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Assembling a Go Bag for my 85yr old mom.
Looking to order a Rem. TAC14., then I will give my beater pistol grip 870 to a friend.
Closing on a rental property, this will allow us to pay off our only small loan and
buy a new genny and chainsaw.
View Quote
All but the Mom-Bag have been completed.
Picking up the closing check form our attorney today.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Finished another lower. Will be ordering the barrel soon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Picked up 1300 rounds of IWI from Midwayusa.  Bought 1000 of American eagle 147 for the suppressed scorpion.

Bought Milwaukee 18 volt latern, battery supply with usb charging 5 volt items off my 18 volt batteries and rocket 18 volt led work light for power outages and working since I have a ton of batteries.  Bought another 9ah battery for my Milwaukee gear.

Updated all the fire extinguishers in the house and cabin to Rechargeable 5 and 10 pound metal handled name brand units.

Picked you a lithuim battery jump pack for my wife's car on Cyber Monday.

Found a better job at increases my salary by over 30% a few weeks ago while adding missing benefits.

Bought my first HF radio Yaesu 857d with a chalmeon antenna and antenna tuner since having general license for 3 years now.  Learning how to use it now instead of later during an emergency.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Bought 900 rds of 62 grain M855 SS109. Tomorrow I am taking a pistol class to check off some needed training boxes on my checklist.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hit the gym hard.

View Quote
Your back in the states now ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought 3 $25 Cabela's Gift Cards for Christmas presents for my brother and nephew - I'm keeping one for my-self  

Does that count as prepping.

I have started to build up a binder similar to the posts that sketti has been making - nothing too elaborate considering i'm the only person in mu home, but I think it will be useful if someone is around and needs to understand my collecting/prepping issues.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Finished the Go Bag for mom...there is stuff there she will not understand but someone else may be able to assist her.
Ordered a Finnish Terava Skrama knife based on a great review from Thor.
Bought a digital pistol safe.

Still looking for a S&W K-22 6"
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bought 3 $25 Cabela's Gift Cards for Christmas presents for my brother and nephew - I'm keeping one for my-self  

Does that count as prepping.

I have started to build up a binder similar to the posts that sketti has been making - nothing too elaborate considering i'm the only person in mu home, but I think it will be useful if someone is around and needs to understand my collecting/prepping issues.
View Quote
I'm alone as well. I originally made the binder for my Mormon friends, who are new to prepping. However, I find the inventories very useful to help me track, manage, and plan my preps.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Put the dedicated winter tires on my wifes vehicle, even though its AWD.

Winter tires on an AWD car make it absolutely superb in the winter. Her being able to go anywhere in the ice and snow makes it so much less stressful for me.  She leaves for work at 430am and we all know that it snows alot of times at night. 430am is before the snowplows go out in many instances.

Incase you are wondering or need suggestions on your own winter tires, this is what I have.  General Altimax Artic.

Link Posted: 2/6/2018 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#38]
First post in this thread. I do more reading than I do posting, but I'll probably start posting more.

So over the past month or so...

- Purchased and received a Vortex Sparc AR red dot with 10 PMags from PSA. It replaced my cheap worthless Tru-Glo red/green dot. Got it installed and planning on zeroing it in the next week or so.

- Got all my pictures scanned and saved to my laptop. Scanning other documents soon and backing everything up to my hard drives and flash/thumb drives.

- Did an oil change, tire rotation and topped off fluids on the wife's 04' Chevy Tahoe Z71.

- Re-calibrated the CBs in our vehicles.

- Currently working on and typing up a to do list with notes for different events for my wife and I. Along with that is inventory of all the different bags and where they are located, etc....

-
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Worked on family “go bags”
1000 rounds 45acp
300 hst .40 cal
200 10mm
Ordered 12 assorted pistol mags to bring up to 6 or more per handgun.
Installed night sites on g22
Stocked about 85more cans of daily use foods
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Bought my daughter a CRKT Rune Hatchet for her birthday basically to gauge interest, she was Thrilled!!!
Started compiling gear for 2 backpacks that will be used as prize for our Youth Preparedness program this summer.
Ordered 250rds of 44spc.
Scrounged IKEA for some stainless steel items, going to work on some mini-stoves projects.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Costco run for more water, while there I found some quality leather work gloves and some "loaner" quality work gloves on sale.
3 Bricks of 22lr, I rain shell for me and a new rain parka for Wifey.
Small fridge for my son's insulin...can be run off the smaller genny or inverter.
Wifey requested a shotgun with a light...Franken 870 assembled solely from the ARFCOM EE.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Gathered a group of friends and discussed how we can come together and grow more food together this year.  Been trying to expand my preparedness community and found that gardening is one good way to due it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Stocked up on 100% Cotton Navy BDUs.
Bought some new knives, assorted 12ga shells and 2,200 rounds of 22LR.
New tires for the SUV.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:19:02 AM EDT
[#44]
3 M  Steri strip skin closures
3 CAT tourniquets.
Kerlix sterile bandages.

Lansky blademedic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Got my motivation up by reading Mark Goodwin's latest book last night.

Got a a bunch more .22 ammo from the Academy sale last week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Finished my gun rack.

Mounted some rotopax water and first aid pax, wired Cat led's for rear light. Added a Yaesu FTM-400xdr and a pioneeer avic7200 with GPS built in. The bed is too short, next time a little longer. I carry a optima yellow top batt and a portable air compressor in a larger Pelican case cable locked in the back. Hope to use for small parts runs when needed but main objective is to have as a get outta town vehicle.

07 FX4 150.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Started stockpiling fractionated coconut oils for a fat supply after discovering it has a nearly indefinite shelf life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Took advantage of "emergency prep" tax-free weekend to increase our fuel storage capacity.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Fixed an audio link using fiber optic media converters by swapping out the T/R laser module from another unit's ckt bd.

Now we have [off grid]  audio [for monitoring, intercom, etc.], networking, and phone [vonage] over fiber and lightning and EMP won't affect the ~100 meter links.
Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top