Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2020 1:46:28 PM EDT
Hi my friends! What camouflage pattern (if any) do you use while hunting? Also did you noticed any difference using or not using camo Equipment? And what about the fact that most games are able to perceive UV rays, possibly spotting an hunter whose clothes were recently washed with common detergents? Also there Is any Camo pattern you don't like?

Please specify Aldo the type of hunting you practice!

I usually don't use camo clothes, only sometimes i use some italian ("vegetata") or British (dpm) surplus jackets/pants i paid almost nothing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear green, brown, or grey pants and shirt. I usually wear a tan or Multicam hat. Some of my jackets just happen to have camouflage patterns.

So, I guess I don’t wear any specific pattern.

ETA: I hunt deer, pigs, small game and turkeys. Rarely, I will go on a bird hunt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
During bow season, I wear mostly Camo of various brands, including a Brit DPM jacket.   I have been getting some of the designer stuff(Kuiu), and it is nice.  Waterproof/breathable and very light.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
During our gun seasons, we have to wear orange.  Hat and vest will do it.    I still prefer the bow season for elk, slim chance To bag an elk, but great weather .

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Red plaid flannel shirt and black denim jeans usually.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Old school pattern called StayStill.

Have killed turkeys while wearing a black jacket, deer while gun hunting wearing blaze orange vest/overalls/Carhartt/white t shirt and jeans, and deer while bow hunting wearing black beanie hat.  Snuck up to 50 yards on a bull elk while wearing gray pants, black long sleeve shirt, and blaze orange vest.

Camo is cool but hasn't seemed to make or break a hunt for me.  That said, a few I like include ASAT and Marpat.

UV might be a factor.  Wash wool items in shampoo, and other materials in Wildlife Research powder detergent.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's below freezing I just wear my tan Carhartt bibs and jacket, if it's above freezing but cold I wear my tan Carhartt overalls, if it's warm, I wear old school woodland BDUs. I have however, hunted many  years in jeans and a dark colored shirt. Honestly, I've tried different "hunting" camos, but they never seem to make much of a difference except for other hunters not seeing me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Ridge Reaper stuff..
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Everything from whatever was on sale/clearance/discounted/cheap  to earth tone solids.
I like patterns that have a brown or grey base color as I hunt in the fall and those colors best match.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wear green, brown, or grey pants and shirt. I usually wear a tan or Multicam hat. Some of my jackets just happen to have camouflage patterns.

So, I guess I don’t wear any specific pattern.

ETA: I hunt deer, pigs, small game and turkeys. Rarely, I will go on a bird hunt.
View Quote

Do you Hunt turkeys Just sitting in the Woods or do you have some sort of stand? I am asking this because i saw many Turkey Hunters super camouflaged
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Noce Pics, i think we have the same game camera.

In my country we have to wear High visibility clothes Just for hunting pigs in "braccata" (i don't know if you are familiar with this kind of boar hunting)
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Have killed turkeys while wearing a black jacket, deer while gun hunting wearing blaze orange vest/overalls/Carhartt/white t shirt and jeans, and deer while bow hunting wearing black beanie hat.  Snuck up to 50 yards on a bull elk while wearing gray pants, black long sleeve shirt, and blaze orange vest.

Camo is cool but hasn't seemed to make or break a hunt for me.  That said, a few I like include ASAT and Marpat.

UV might be a factor.  Wash wool items in shampoo, and other materials in Wildlife Research powder detergent.
View Quote

I usually do not wash my hunting equipment I wash everything sweaty but this means basically only t-shirts. Inwash them with water only at High temperature.

I wasn't familiar with asat Camo, i Just checked It out. Cool. It Is very similar to the cabela's' predator camo i sometimes use when it's snowy here
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you Hunt turkeys Just sitting in the Woods or do you have some sort of stand? I am asking this because i saw many Turkey Hunters super camouflaged
View Quote

I just try to be still. I do have a bug suit that I wear sometimes that has a faded woodland-ish pattern.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it's below freezing I just wear my tan Carhartt bibs and jacket, if it's above freezing but cold I wear my tan Carhartt overalls, if it's warm, I wear old school woodland BDUs. I have however, hunted many  years in jeans and a dark colored shirt. Honestly, I've tried different "hunting" camos, but they never seem to make much of a difference except for other hunters not seeing me.
View Quote

I mostly agree. The only times i feel to Need Camo Is when i Hunt Boars from 15 yards away in small clearings in Deep Woods. And still managing your smell Is much more critical
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like the Ridge Reaper stuff..
View Quote

Didn't know it..made by underamor. Cool pattern
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everything from whatever was on sale/clearance/discounted/cheap  to earth tone solids.
I like patterns that have a brown or grey base color as I hunt in the fall and those colors best match.

View Quote

This Is mostly what i do. Only when doing long hunting trip or when hiking up in the alps to hunt chamois i carefully select all the Gear
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I use old multicam uniforms most of the time. Sometimes just neutral color hiking pants and shirt.

I’ll use scentless detergents and scent killer spray.  

I hunt whitetail, hogs and small game.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing I hunt that needs camo is turkeys, and here's my typical wardrobe.  I like multicam.

Turkey-870  20170414 by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Cabela's Western Zonz pattern.  Back when they weren't Bass Pro Suck they had a Zonz (how they spelled it) 4 region camo pattern.  They had all seasons in all patterns in all types of hunting clothes.

It was some of the best natural camo patterns.  Where I live and hunt it's perfect.

I was lucky enough to get a ton of this, in 3 season mix and match, right before they merged, at 70% retail.  I still have it today.

Duluth Trading Company Flex Fire Hose Cargo make great 40+ staking pants in rough brush.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

This continues to be one of the most effective patterns EVAR.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cabela's Western Zonz pattern.  Back when they weren't Bass Pro Suck they had a Zonz (how they spelled it) 4 region camo pattern.  It was some of the best natural camo patterns.  They had all seasons in all patterns in all types of hunting clothes.

I was lucky enough to get a ton of this, in 3 season mix and match, right before they merged, at 70% retail.  I still have it today.

Duluth Trading Company Flex Fire Hose Cargo make great 40+ staking pants in rough brush.
View Quote

I love zonz western. I Also bought a jacket and a hat directly from the usa
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only thing I hunt that needs camo is turkeys, and here's my typical wardrobe.  I like multicam.

https://live.staticflickr.com/2850/33905047691_a53e3f1310_b.jpgTurkey-870  20170414 by FredMan, on Flickr

View Quote

Nice rifle you have there. 12 gauge? Which model Is that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use old multicam uniforms most of the time. Sometimes just neutral color hiking pants and shirt.

I’ll use scentless detergents and scent killer spray.  

I hunt whitetail, hogs and small game.
View Quote

I think multicam Is a very versatile camo pattern
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Black or tan carharts.
Very little camo although some gear only comes in camo now.

Was taught to be still,use the wind and be quiet. Trying to teach my 5yr old daughter is trying.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This Is mostly what i do. Only when doing long hunting trip or when hiking up in the alps to hunt chamois i carefully select all the Gear
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I'm certainly not above spending real money on technical gear when it's called for. But where I hunt is not as auspicious as the Alps. I've got good boots and a good warm dry parka.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a bunch of First Lite stuff from being R&D staff, but fuck that company. Bunch of public land pretentiousness and lumped into the same group as Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.

I want to try out Gulch Gear as it’s a USA made company, but I’ll probably just wear some flannels and such.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Generally some 5.11 pants and whatever shirt was closest. I used to spend a ton of money on camo and started with everyday clothes.  No change in the amount of animals I spot.  Deer, pigs and turkey.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Brent0331 has some excellent vids on various camo and their effectiveness:

Brent0331

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Natural Gear SC2 is my go to but it's getting harder to find. It works well for the low and high desert in my AO.

Truetimber Strata is a good one for most of my areas and not too spendy. $25 pants, $10 long sleeve shirt.

Cheap WM Mossy Oak brush for low lands, Mountain country for in the Aspens.

Multicam and ATACS FG are good for me also.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Brent0331 has some excellent vids on various camo and their effectiveness:

Brent0331

View Quote

Thanks! I'll check him out
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Natural Gear SC2 is my go to but it's getting harder to find. It works well for the low and high desert in my AO.

Truetimber Strata is a good one for most of my areas and not too spendy. $25 pants, $10 long sleeve shirt.

Cheap WM Mossy Oak brush for low lands, Mountain country for in the Aspens.

Multicam and ATACS FG are good for me also.

View Quote

Natural gear is one of my favorites. But it's always been hard to find. It's always a surprise when I see something new.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I started hunting 7 years ago and for 2 years I hunted in blue jeans, solid color shirts and a 30 yr old solid green LL Bean field jacket.  

It is far more important to break up your siloette for turkey than for deer.  

Anything that breaks up your siloette is good.  Scent and movement are more important factors than camouflage.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nice rifle you have there. 12 gauge? Which model Is that?
View Quote

It's actually a rattle-canned 870 with the rifle sighted smoothbore barrel, yes 12 ga.

Tan, OD, and mud brown were the camo colors.

It's been relegated to the safe the past few years in favor of the much cooler chopped 20 ga M2.

Gobbler Fan SBS 20190428 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#33]
It's not glamorous but in Texas we wear jeans and T-shirts to hunt pigs, or whatever we want

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I like solids but if I am wearing camo I prefer Kryptek.  I met Butch their CEO while he lived in Fairbanks and spent an evening drinking beer in his house talking everything from hunting to current events.  Really cool down to earth guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's not glamorous but in Texas we wear jeans and T-shirts to hunt pigs, or whatever we want

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/IMG_2147-1147720.jpg
View Quote

Cool Pic. Do you Hunt hogs with 5.56/223?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I like solids but if I am wearing camo I prefer Kryptek.  I met Butch their CEO while he lived in Fairbanks and spent an evening drinking beer in his house talking everything from hunting to current events.  Really cool down to earth guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:37:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#38]
We mostly wear whatever, sit still, and mind the wind.

Bought some disruptive British surplus stuff for like $5 pants and $7 for jackets for wife and kids 20 years ago.
That and my ancient Trebark, bought 30+ years ago, or even older woodland.

Works for us.
Deer don't care.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I haven't hunted out here, but I usually wear Multicam as it's unbeatable for most of the Southwest. Desert Flecktarn has it's uses in the more arid regions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have some old woodland BDU's I throw on....

No sense spending big bucks on camo that are the latest trend.

Heck, blue jeans and a flannel shirt works great.

View Quote

'Came across a meme at another forum... Can't find it, but it went something like...

"The best camo is sit still and be quiet.
Your grandpa hunted wearing a red plaid coat for christ sake"
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#41]
When I'm bow hunting or turkey hunting I wear Realtree Edge. If I'm in a blind, I just wear solid dark colors.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Early how season September and October for whitetail usually Multicam. When it gets cold Carhart bibs and Jacket. During firearm seasons an orange vest and hat over the Carharts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Tan jeans, old BDU/DCU top.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Cool Pic. Do you Hunt hogs with 5.56/223?
View Quote
Yes, and 5.45x39. When you open up on a sounder of hogs rapid follow up is more important than shot placement because they move so fast
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Archery hunted yesterday,

had on Reef flip flops, Blue shorts and a Blue T-shirt.  Oh and a camo hat.

It was 87 Degrees.

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I like Hunters Element Veil/Desolve pattern for early Elk season.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Tan or Coffee Stain 3 color Desert BDU trousers & tan boots.

Old Faded OD Green BDU Top & Boony hat.

Works great in Central Texas for 87% of all hunting, (Since we don't get snow)...

I watch all the folks come & go trying out all sorts of fancy cammo, but most of it is bunk, as all the tiny patterns Blob up once you are 10 or more feet away.

Only BIG Patterns tend to work as distances past rock throwing.

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

'Came across a meme at another forum... Can't find it, but it went something like...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SO much Truth to that...

Hard for so many hunters these days to SIT STILL, be QUIET and to LISTEN & SEE what is happening around them (without whipping their heads & bodies around to see the action - get ready for the shot -  reset themselves in some other direction - run around trying to "locate" the animal...   instead of being one with nature (I am a Mossy Rock or Cedar Bush just sitting here non-threatening with nothing to make Mr. Buck or Big Jake or Boss Hog think differently (until after the shot is out.)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Blue jeans, a tan shirt and a orange BSU hat.  If found a old pair of BDU pants though so I will probably rock those this year if I go.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 2:12:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually that old red and black check is a great pattern for deer. Deer don't see red, they only see blue and green.  Deer see red as a green and the black helps break up the outline.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top