Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2023 11:45:10 PM EDT
I have the opportunity to hunt bobcat in 2 weeks over bait. If I'm successful, the plan is to have a full body mount done. I'd prefer not to have to buy a new rifle if possible so it looks like I'll be bringing my .223. What load will give me the smallest exit/ fur damage? I currently have 50 grain VMAX, 53 grain SMK, 55 grain FMJ, 55 grain SP, and 69 grain SMK. If none of these are ideal, I can buy and load any other bullet. Depending on which bait is most active, i could be looking at a 25 - 75 yard shot. This hunt will cost me some money so I'd hate to destroy the cat and not be able to have it mounted. If a smaller caliber/ lesser cartridges decreases these chances considerably, I'd be ok with spending a few hundred bucks on s Bergara or Tikka 22 magnum.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I used xm193 with very minimal fur damage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
.17 HMR ??
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Check your state laws, some states don't allow for FMJ rounds to be used. Tennessee being one of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top