Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2022 4:40:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Army surplus modern rain gear is very good and mostly affordable if you have a surplus type store around.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't personally used it yet. But all the contractors working on my new building were wearing Cahartt Rain Defender / Storm Defender stuff, and of course - rubber boots.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't personally used it yet. But all the contractors working on my new building were wearing Cahartt Rain Defender / Storm Defender stuff, and of course - rubber boots.
View Quote

Carhartt can suck a fish.  Moved most of their manufacturing overseas then mandated the vax for US employees. Cut all my tags off already, when this stuff wears out I will not replace it with Carhartt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If something like you seek exists I haven't found it yet.

Gore Tex is the closest, but if you're really sweating it can't purge the moisture fast enough and it will condense on it.

I finally gave up and just buy the lined nylon stuff. It's a good balance of cost to function. Wear it out and replace.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I wear my ecws gortex jacket and xtratuff rubber boots. If its really nasty I'll throw on my old grundens foul weather gear.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Truewerk makes some good stuff. I have their pants, shorts, and bibs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Rain gear will keep you dry and make you sweat.There is no in-between.

We wear helly hanson,carhart, and other rain gear. Some are nice and thin others are heavy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Helly-Hanson is the most popular outerwear you'll find on commercial fishing vessels for good reason.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wear my ecws gortex jacket and xtratuff rubber boots. If its really nasty I'll throw on my old grundens foul weather gear.
View Quote

How is the grundens stuff? Thinking of buying one of their jackets for next year. If it can live through commercial fishing in hoping it cab survive feeding the herd.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in Texas and welcome the rain.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey Homesteaders,

I'm set for cold weather--insulated coveralls and tough work-gear type coats, etc.

But for work outside when it's pouring (sometimes you have to do that, like it or not), what do y'all wear?

I've got "outdoor gearhead" type wet weather clothes--Goretex and knockoffs built for hiking, running, etc.

But I've not found anything that keeps me both dry and doesn't make me soaked with sweat for rainy weather working outside. Building anything, digging anything, repairing a fence where a tree limb went through it, feeding cattle, rounding up escaped livestock or anything else you have to do in the rain basically destroys those nice, expensive hiking clothes.  I'm ill-equipped for wet weather.

Do y'all have suggestions for what works for you?

Thanks in advance, as always,

~Kitties
View Quote

The best I've used is Columbia's Outdry Extreme.

Interesting change from Goretex.

Goretex is a waterproof breathable membrane typically sandwiched between an outer face fabric and an inner liner fabric (because the Goretex membrane itself is rather fragile and easy to tear). The outer face fabric is usually treated with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) so water beads on it, but the DWR eventually wears out and needs to be reapplied, otherwise the outer fabric 'wets out'. Once it 'wets out'/gets soaked, the material is no longer breathable.

What I've found is that being in an extended downpour can 'wet out' through the DWR in just a few hours.

The OutDry Extreme material has the waterproof breathable membrane on the outside (it looks like those old vinyl rain slickers) and it's inherently waterproof, so it doesn't need a DWR and can't wet out.

I found that it doesn't feel like it breathes as well as the top-of-the-line waterproof breathable fabrics, but I stay dry even in extended downpours. Plus side is being able to wash off any mud/dirt with a garden hose.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I just buy a cheap set from Academy and replace when it tears.  A $20 set usually lasts me a year or two, sometimes longer.  I've tried Frogg Toggs and I seriously can't stand them.  They don't seem to hold up for working outdoors.  Probably good for fishing and that's about it.  I don't know if I'm bold enough to spend serious money on a rain suit that may or may not last.

Edit - link:
https://www.academy.com/p/academy-sports-outdoors-mens-rain-suit
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't looked for anything special for farm work, but years ago when a motorcycle was my only mode of transportation I had a couple of different raingear setups.  Shopping bike supply places might be worth a look.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
After a few decades of trying all the different options, I've come to this:

Frogg Toggs.

They work reasonably well, and they're cheap so if they get damaged or stained or whatever, it's not a great loss. They seem to be the most breathable of the waterproof-breathable rainwear.

The normal waterproof~breathable stuff like Gore Tex isn't breathable enough if I'm doing anything. If it's cold and raining I'm wearing other stuff anyway so complete waterproofness isn't necessary, if it's warm and raining a little moisture isn't going to hurt anything and is unavoidable anyway.

I like a big hat instead of wearing a hood which also provides a lot more ventilation, if it's warmer. If it's cold I'll wear the hood in combination with a ball cap or the like. I'd like to find a ball cap with the bill and front panels being waterproof or waterproof-breathable. I guess I could make one with some DIY wax.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Another vote for military!  

I had to look up Grundens.   I hadn't seen that name before.  Thank you!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another vote for military!  

I had to look up Grundens.   I hadn't seen that name before.  Thank you!

Grundens is huuuuuge with the commercial fishing industry at least in the northeast.

ECWCS Gen III will provide you the lightest of the cheap options more than likely.  You can probably find it cheap in UCP(the gravelly digital color that some people incorrectly call ACU).  Check carefully so you can find something not ratted out from field use.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe check duluth trading
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#27]
A vented, waxed canvas hat and jacket.

You will get wet one way or another.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Galls link rain gear
I have an old police rain coat orange on one side black on the other. It’s not a cheap light weight one and I don’t see a name tag on it but I’ve had it a long time.  I also have carhart  and gortex but for a real downpour the long raincoat is best. And it’s big enough to fit loose which helps. I keep an Outdoor Research “Seattle Sombrero” hat in the pocket
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:11:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Things I do not like about the Seattle Sombrero is how floppy the brim is and hot hot it is.
Needs more venting.

Funny how we had rain gear from the 80's that was insulated and had multiple vents. Kept us warm and dry.
Tough to find anything like it now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There aren't vents on any of this stuff?  My Seattle Sombrero does not have vents either, but the jackets all did.

View Quote
Most of the hellys,carhart and others do not have vents. Would get torn or caught during work.

I have almost been pulled overboard by netting getting caught in the snaps on my helly coat. I duct tape over them if they do not have the flap covering the snaps.

Only two tiny vents on the Sombrero.
Needs more as many have been saying to OR.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Huh.....this absolutely interests me.  How is it for durability as far as tearing or working outside, in your experience?  I have had the same situations with the top-of-the-line fabrics running dogs for SAR, which means a different kind of "hard work" outside, for hours, and they were okay. But they can't take fixing the dog kennel when the wind blows it over, cuz one catch on the chain link ends, and it's all over.  That kind of "smear it around in the mud, rake it across wire and splinters, roll back and forth under a car a few times on not-so-perfect ground" and your $350 coat is in shreds.  (These have all been, as I noted, the high-end "recreational" outdoor gear brands.  Helly Hanson was not around here much back then, though.  So I've only seen it from a distance.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best I've used is Columbia's Outdry Extreme.

Interesting change from Goretex.

Goretex is a waterproof breathable membrane typically sandwiched between an outer face fabric and an inner liner fabric (because the Goretex membrane itself is rather fragile and easy to tear). The outer face fabric is usually treated with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) so water beads on it, but the DWR eventually wears out and needs to be reapplied, otherwise the outer fabric 'wets out'. Once it 'wets out'/gets soaked, the material is no longer breathable.

What I've found is that being in an extended downpour can 'wet out' through the DWR in just a few hours.

The OutDry Extreme material has the waterproof breathable membrane on the outside (it looks like those old vinyl rain slickers) and it's inherently waterproof, so it doesn't need a DWR and can't wet out.

I found that it doesn't feel like it breathes as well as the top-of-the-line waterproof breathable fabrics, but I stay dry even in extended downpours. Plus side is being able to wash off any mud/dirt with a garden hose.

Huh.....this absolutely interests me.  How is it for durability as far as tearing or working outside, in your experience?  I have had the same situations with the top-of-the-line fabrics running dogs for SAR, which means a different kind of "hard work" outside, for hours, and they were okay. But they can't take fixing the dog kennel when the wind blows it over, cuz one catch on the chain link ends, and it's all over.  That kind of "smear it around in the mud, rake it across wire and splinters, roll back and forth under a car a few times on not-so-perfect ground" and your $350 coat is in shreds.  (These have all been, as I noted, the high-end "recreational" outdoor gear brands.  Helly Hanson was not around here much back then, though.  So I've only seen it from a distance.)

It's held up to brush and branch snags without any tearing/holes, but I'd bet that the end of a piece of baling wire/chainlink fence would poke holes in it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen ball caps made with Gore (or something like it).  I believe they are out there, but I'm no help cuz it's been so long since I shopped for that stuff that I don't know what's current.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After a few decades of trying all the different options, I've come to this:

Frogg Toggs.

They work reasonably well, and they're cheap so if they get damaged or stained or whatever, it's not a great loss. They seem to be the most breathable of the waterproof-breathable rainwear.

The normal waterproof~breathable stuff like Gore Tex isn't breathable enough if I'm doing anything. If it's cold and raining I'm wearing other stuff anyway so complete waterproofness isn't necessary, if it's warm and raining a little moisture isn't going to hurt anything and is unavoidable anyway.

I like a big hat instead of wearing a hood which also provides a lot more ventilation, if it's warmer. If it's cold I'll wear the hood in combination with a ball cap or the like. I'd like to find a ball cap with the bill and front panels being waterproof or waterproof-breathable. I guess I could make one with some DIY wax.

I'm pretty sure I've seen ball caps made with Gore (or something like it).  I believe they are out there, but I'm no help cuz it's been so long since I shopped for that stuff that I don't know what's current.

I've got a Columbia ball cap with whatever proprietary waterproof/breathable membrane they use (not Goretex IIRC). I'm not really a baseball cap person, but that waterproof/breathable baseball cap with the rainjacket hood over it makes a great rain setup. Keeps the rain out of my face much better than just the hood alone (unless it's blowing like crazy) and water from running down my neck/back.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Best I've seen that would hold up to hard use were made by a miner that started a business making bibs and jackets.  Bible verse and pocket knife in the pocket.  
   Most non RIP durable Rain gear I've worn.  

Them or lacrosse

Fh mine supply might have them.

Moms. Miningwear
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#43]
For a hat, my Filson tin cloth bush hat works great in the rain. Nice wide and stiff 3” brim.  Water keeps dripping off it but my face and neck stay dry.

https://www.filson.com/accessories/tin-cloth-bush-hat-2.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know Carhartt showed their ass and they are a led by a bunch of d-bags, but their Rain Defender 1/4 Zip Sweatshirt is pretty much my favorite "outerwear" I've ever had for chores.  With additional layers, it is good down to about about 40* for me, less with better layers, or if I'm moving a lot.  It is good up to about 60* if I'm not moving around a bunch.  It's not waterproof, but it has kept me dry in long drawn out misty conditions or a 5 or 10 minute downpour.  It won't keep you dry through hours of rain though.  Essentially, once you get to the point that it's raining hard enough that this isn't going to cut it, I think you're going to have to deal with all of the drawbacks that have been previously mentioned about other rain gear.  The local utility workers in my area that have to work in inclement weather from time to time wear these most of the time, then break out the yellow rubber coats if it's raining cats and dogs and they have to be out in it.

Carhartt 1/4 Zip

When my current versions of the above wear out I'm going to look for a similar offering from a Carhartt competitor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They are made for walking around in the wilderness, sporting your Gregory pack, water dripping picturesquely off your leather necklace with sustainably sourced ceramic beads from Africa, with their symbols that mean "peace" and shaking the water off your Outdoor Research hat, then settling it back on your head without messing up your man bun.
View Quote

The ceramic beads on my necklace come from South America, but otherwise, you just described my every day farm attire!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Muck boots. Old woodland mil goretex jacket or frogg toggs.  When they rip, add another piece of duct tape on.  Very fashionable.  Works for me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top