Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 9:09:42 PM EDT
Short background- I'm an eastern whitetail hunter with the same old story as everybody else heading west for a new hunting experience. My dad and I are planning two trips to WY or MT, one next year and one two years later with my nephew as a HS graduation gift. Plan is to chase Mule deer on public land- DIY, don't care about trophies, but we do have a friend in SE WY who may join us and show us the ropes a bit.

I'm a sucker for Leupold, and I'm set on rifle optics, but lacking in the glassing department. I have small 10x30 bx-1 Leupold binos and some cheap-o Nikon 12x50s. No spotters.

I got a small bonus from work this week and intend to buy either some binos or a spotter with it.  For mule deer day hunts, given I already have binos (even if not ideal) which is a priority for purchase?

Appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:29:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: entropy] [#1]
I'm on east coast as well, but I go to Nebraska every year. I have vortex viper 10x50 hd binoculars.

They work great. Get some binocular straps as well.
Shots are longer out there. Shot this one at 350 yards. 270 with Swift 130 grain.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Amazon Product
  • 10x magnification and 50mm objective lenses, the Viper HD binoculars have an advanced high density optical system with enhanced anti-reflective lens coating for stunning image quality and top tier light transmission.
  • Dielectric, multi-layer prism coatings provide bright, clear, color-accurate images. Coating on roof prism models enhances resolution and contrast.
  • A compact, rubber-armored chasis and armortek coating ensures the Viper HD is ready for any hunt.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Between a 5-25x rifle scope and 8x binoculars, I don't have a problem seeing what I need to. Given that you have what I would consider adequate binoculars, I'd go with a spotting scope.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks everybody for the feedback.

Anybody have hands on time with the smaller spotters in the 15-30 power range? Vortex has the Razor in that size and Leupold has a gold ring as well.

Im not crazy about lugging a 60mm spotter around along with having to get a beefy enough tripod to support it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
In big open country a good spotter can save you hours of hiking only to find something not worth the effort. Compact spotters are great for packing and will work fine for analyzing deer. Since you are not trophy hunting all you need to be able to do be sure there are forks or better to make the hike.

Remember, depending on where you are hunting a deer 1 mile away on an opposite ridge could take half a day to reach. You want to be able to ensure it’s worth the effort.

I would consider upgrading your bino’ to 10x40-50. 10x50’s can get heavy so check spec’s before your buy. The extra objective size will make a difference early and late when you are most likely to see the big bucks.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:30:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greentimber] [#5]
If you don’t have a tripod and a bino mount for that tripod that is your first priority. Once you put your binos on a tripod you will never glass without one again. Unless you need to study individual animals for trophy quality, skip the spotting scope. I like 8x as do-it-all binos, but it is nice to have 10-15x when glassing. Not at all necessary if you’re simply locating animals and not looking to count inches once you spot them.

....eta.... given your current optics, I’d look at a good pair of 10x40mm binos. You don’t have to spend $3,000, but you should spend at least $300. 2-3x that $$ is better and WILL be worth it for long glassing sessions. Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, etc all have something in that mid range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Reading more about compact spotters has me back on binos. Especially since we aren't counting inches.

How does everybody feel about these:

Vortex Viper HD 10x40 for ~$375
Leupold BX-4 10x42 for ~$425

i know the Vipers are a known quantity and I can find tons of first hand info on them, but like I said above I'm a Leupold first kinda guy. Probably a no lose at these prices since I can probably get my money back out of them if I hate whatever I end up with.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I only have experience with each company's respective rifle and spotting scopes, but I keep going to Vortex. Better features for me, and typically better glass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have viper HDs and they have served me well for the last 3-4 years. There
Is some distortion at long , long range but that’s not unexpected.
They are really good glass.

I just picked up some Santium bx-5 HDs wow ..... freaking amazing
I’m sure the higher end vortex’s compare.

Pm me if you want the vortex’s for a good price.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By J-L:
I have viper HDs and they have served me well for the last 3-4 years. There
Is some distortion at long , long range but that's not unexpected.
They are really good glass.

I just picked up some Santium bx-5 HDs wow ..... freaking amazing
I'm sure the higher end vortex's compare.

Pm me if you want the vortex's for a good price.
View Quote
PM sent.

I went by our academy sports today to grab some cleaning supplies and I checked out their binos while there. They had BX-2s and Diamondbacks. Didn't even attempt to judge the glass on these, but I think the eye cups are similar enough to the BX-4 and Vipers to tip me toward the vipers. The Leupold eye cups have a larger, fatter ring around the lens and they did not work for my face at all. Picture comparisons online indicate the BX-4 is similar or identical.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the suggestion on spotting scopes? Other than vortex and leupold...which brand and models?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a suggestion... but if you aren't trophy hunting where you want to judge points, skip the spotter and  invest in a high quality pair of 15x or 20x binoculars and a tripod.

My eyes were opened when I finally got a pair and started really glassing. All of a sudden I was seeing animals everywhere I never saw before.  A good pair of binoculars will let cover a lot more ground with a lot less strain on your eyes.

I got the 15x Vortex Kaibabs, which is their top end. Others swear by Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, etc...

I would assume Leupold makes something similar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By schiffer99:
Just a suggestion... but if you aren't trophy hunting where you want to judge points, skip the spotter and  invest in a high quality pair of 15x or 20x binoculars and a tripod.

My eyes were opened when I finally got a pair and started really glassing. All of a sudden I was seeing animals everywhere I never saw before.  A good pair of binoculars will let cover a lot more ground with a lot less strain on your eyes.

I got the 15x Vortex Kaibabs, which is their top end. Others swear by Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, etc...

I would assume Leupold makes something similar.
View Quote
Hmm...got a good pair of binos but they are only 10x40. Something to think about
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Good binos on a tripod are awesome, and if you will be in open country they can be incredible.  I just wouldn’t want to pack it far.

This has been great for carrying my field binos, vortex 10x.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a Vanguard 65mm spotter.

Generally recognized as the best bang for your buck.

10X40 binoculars, I use Leupold BX-3.

I would never go into open country without a spotting scope.

Where are you hunting?
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I use FHF to carry my stuff.

Attachment Attached File

Before I did anything else I would make sure I had at least decent binoculars, a rangefinder, and some way to carry them for everyone in your group. I use 10X binoculars constantly. They bring stuff in close, and are easy to use off hand. There are plenty of options, but honestly, this is where most everyone should start.

From what I understand Maven has some great options for really good prices. Lots of chatter about their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple spotting scopes, a big vortex razor for really looking from up high(27-60-85) and a smaller vortex nomad(20-60-65) that works great for hiking around the hills with... I also use 12-50 vortex diamondbacks...they are not quite as good as my buddies leicas or swarvoski's, but much, much better then any of us thought they would be...all have been well worth the penny, and all have performed above expectations...

Attachment Attached File

I also have both a Leupold rangefinder(has a trophy scale which is nice for doing up close sizing on bull racks), as well as a sig kilo 2400 for long range stuff... Tripod wise , my favorite for the rifle or the big spotter is a CF Neewer, for the small spotter is a vortex summit..both are very stable, easy to pack/operate/configurable/affordable and both are tough as nails...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Ya, I hear those Vortex Diamondback punch way above their class a lot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Vortex Nomad for sale on Rokslide right now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I would look at the Vortex Kaibab 18x56 and skip the spotter.  Get the tripod and bino mount and go.  My friend let me barrow his Kaibabs last year and man what a difference they make.  I have a nice pair of 10x Steiner compacts but to mount the larger glass on a tripod and sit on the hillside and look for deer/elk is a whole lot easier with the larger glass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:49:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s] [#20]
Probably the best bang for the buck in spotters.  The glass is on par with spotters twice the price.

Meopta Meopro 80 HD

That being said, all spotters and tripods add extra weight.  If you're not use to humping from 3000 to 6000 back down to 3000 ft you'll quickly wonder why you added the extra weight.

Add to this your super magnum rifle, capable of 800 yard plus kills, with the super magnum 50-56mm scope and you are going to really feel it.

A great pair of 10x42 ranging binoculars is another option that will save on a lot of weight and extra pieces of kit.  If you're going on a guided hunt, let the guide hump the spotter/tripod weight for you.

I'd also suggest a VORN backpack for hike in day hunts.  It is an easy way to offset the weight of the rifle and quickly have access to it.

VORN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top