Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2022 9:25:58 AM EDT
We bought our first TT.  Borrowed some from friends a few times so not a "complete" new guy, but i have all the basics covered.  

Other than the normal surge, power, sewer, is there anything we need to pick up?  Looking for the nice stuff to have or things you wish you would have bought sooner.

Plan is mainly for 3-4 day stays tops.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you in RV parks or dry camping out in the boonies?

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#2]
And is the TT new or used?

Off the cuff:
-Duct tape
-Tools like a level, lug wrench, sockets for water heater drain/anode rod & level jacks, etc., etc.
-Tire inflator/small air compressor
-A couple of the large Damp Rid buckets or small dehumidifier if you always have elec. available (for use when in storage)

If used, depending on age:
-Replace CO and/or smoke detectors
-Replace fire extinguisher
-Take a GOOD look at the tires

Other tips:
-Never, ever use silicone on anything on/in an RV.  Well, really on anything anywhere except gluing down top-mount kitchen sinks...
-On many TT's that have slide-out's, the controllers are in an area with plumbing.  One of mine got smoked over time by the black tank flush check valve spooging a bit of water now & then.  When I replaced it, I cut two squares out of a gallon zip-loc & one-piece of aforementioned duct tape across the top & put one over each controller - instant water shield.

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Lego type leveling blocks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It is new lantern 242bh.

Planning on state parks, some corp of engineer campgrounds as well.  

It will be the wife and my two boys-age 5 and 6 so that may introduce some more things.  

Appreciate all the responses so far.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And is the TT new or used?

Off the cuff:
-Duct tape
-Tools like a level, lug wrench, sockets for water heater drain/anode rod & level jacks, etc., etc.
-Tire inflator/small air compressor
-A couple of the large Damp Rid buckets or small dehumidifier if you always have elec. available (for use when in storage)

If used, depending on age:
-Replace CO and/or smoke detectors
-Replace fire extinguisher
-Take a GOOD look at the tires

Other tips:
-Never, ever use silicone on anything on/in an RV.  Well, really on anything anywhere except gluing down top-mount kitchen sinks...
-On many TT's that have slide-out's, the controllers are in an area with plumbing.  One of mine got smoked over time by the black tank flush check valve spooging a bit of water now & then.  When I replaced it, I cut two squares out of a gallon zip-loc & one-piece of aforementioned duct tape across the top & put one over each controller - instant water shield.

View Quote

Gotta ask, what's driving the "no silicone" rule?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Leveling ramps instead of blocks. Good roof repair tape as a just in case item. Motion lights inside of pantry cabinets.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Leveling ramps instead of blocks. Good roof repair tape as a just in case item. Motion lights inside of pantry cabinets.
View Quote

By ramps you mean something like the andersons or a knockoff like that?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#8]
A good level is always nice to have.

A square drive screwdriver will come in handy when everything starts coming loose. Yeah, everything will come loose.

A good amount of blocks for under your stabilizer jacks. You never know when you'll get a corner up high, or end up in a sloping site.

You'll figure out what you need as you go along. Browse some RV supply websites, and you'll find all kinds of stuff you can't live without!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If you hook up to the hose for water, get a pressure reducer.

Trailers are not real good at holding much water pressure.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
In line water filter at the hook up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use the Andersons, get one for each axle on one side of the camper and a magnetic level to attach to the frame rails. It takes just seconds to level the camper up with those.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9J47HR?tag=upgrapoint-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a surge protector for when you plug into shore power, some of the electrical hook ups at parks can be sketchy. The better ones are digital and will give you information about voltage and amp draw on top of just the basic surge protection.

You may want to get a longer power cord for the camper, not all power pedestals are in the best location, some are even on the opposite side of the camper from the plug. Get couple of power cord adapters. My trailer has a 50a plug in but some times 30a may be all that's available. I can adapt from 50a to 30a or 30a to 15a to cover what's available for plug ins.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Plenty of spare fuses, some black-water holding tank treatment, and a radiant/space heater if it's going to be cold....running the LP furnace will quickly empty your tanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Trash the furnace and ac and replace with a mini split.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep it coming guys, all this stuff has been added.  Planning the first trip in august.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep Anderson or knock offs. That and a pair of Midland radios makes leveling fast and simple. No going back and forth, hollering directions or anything. I use a Levelmate Pro, so I see what side needs to come up on my phone, set the levelers in place, pull forward until a little higher than level, use the radio to tell the wife to set the chock under the rear of the leveler and then let it settle back on the chock and confirm level on the Levelmate.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Lego blocks
Ramp for leveling or changing flats
Ratcheting chock that goes between wheels
Spare electrical cord end
Spare electrical receptacle for your TT 30 or 50A?
Spare fuses and spare 120V breaker for the converter / load center
Spare lamps for the lighting fixtures
At least two spare tires / wheels
Water pressure regulator X 2
50A - 30 adapter
30 - 50 adapter
2- 25’ drinking water hoses
Sewer hose bridges / supports
Sewer pipe adapters
Hose clamps for sewer hose and spare hose
Tap light battery operated lights for dark spots in storage
Awning tie down anchors and attachments x 2
RV rug for site
Portable honey wagon

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#18]
A big bag of zip-ties.

A cheap digital multimeter ("DMM") - very handy for troubleshooting both 12 volt and 120 volt electrical problems. Can also be used to determine how much charge you have left in your house batteries.

For summertime camping, a cordless or battery-operated fan is great for staying comfortable - particularly if you don't have AC hookups. This one is superb.

Speaking of cordless power tools - get a Leveling Jack Socket Adapter for your cordless drill, and bring the drill along, too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#19]
WDH + TPMS + rear view camera for towing.

Anderson levelers + levelmate Pro.  I can level the camper from the cab of the truck without getting out, ever.

I also use Mopeka Tank Check system for how much propane left in each tank.

Pressure regulator and filter for water hook ups.  Never trust campsite water or their pressure regulators.

RVLock electronic lock because I hate keys.

Bug screens to cover all exterior exhaust holes to keep wasps and shit from nesting in there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay now you guys have blown the budget

Going to have to prioritize some of this.  

What is the go to tire now?  I know the tires that are on it are chinese POS.  Looking to do about 6 mos on these then swap.  Not planning on anything over 90 miles one way in that time frame anyway.  

Ramps are on the way, along with filters, PRV, 30' power cord, and hose for water.

Take delivery friday.  

Tools are well covered in the truck.  I carry a full jack, compressor, 1/2" impact, multimeter, electrical box, hand tools, socket set etc.  And plenty of duct tape.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is the go to tire now?
View Quote

Goodyear Endurance is a decent, American-made tire.

Also, if your RV isn't already equipped with a 12 volt ceiling vent fan, YOU NEED ONE.

They are absolutely indispensable for warm-weather camping.

Maxx-Air is the preferred brand nowadays, with generally adequate build quality. Fantastic used to be good, but their quality went to crap after Dometic bought them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#22]
When you prioritize your purchases, decide what you are willing to do without if something goes wrong.  A 50 to 30 Amp dogbone adapter, will allow you to connect to the 50 amp socket if the 30 breaker is messed up. I've had to use mine 2-3 times for this.  

The turd toter (Camco Rhino, or Thetford) allows you to empty your gray and black tanks without breaking down your site for camping where there are not full hookups.  We normally go to state parks and Corp of Engineer campgrounds and never have full hookups.  

The "patio" mats are pretty nice. We did our first trip without them, but quickly added a pair of them to our gear. Nice to walk out under the awning barefoot and not be in the dirt, gravel etc.  

I still have the China bomb tires on the camper, on the third season now. They have around 15k miles on them and will be replaced before we start traveling next season.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When you prioritize your purchases, decide what you are willing to do without if something goes wrong.  A 50 to 30 Amp dogbone adapter, will allow you to connect to the 50 amp socket if the 30 breaker is messed up. I've had to use mine 2-3 times for this.  

The turd toter (Camco Rhino, or Thetford) allows you to empty your gray and black tanks without breaking down your site for camping where there are not full hookups.  We normally go to state parks and Corp of Engineer campgrounds and never have full hookups.  

The "patio" mats are pretty nice. We did our first trip without them, but quickly added a pair of them to our gear. Nice to walk out under the awning barefoot and not be in the dirt, gravel etc.  

I still have the China bomb tires on the camper, on the third season now. They have around 15k miles on them and will be replaced before we start traveling next season.
View Quote

All very good points.  Ours is a 30a.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#24]
A countertop ice maker.

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#25]
So far, ive got:

30a cord
Surge
PRV
Filters
Countertop icemaker (got this for free from a relative, who just sold their camper)
Sewer hose is on the way
Anderson levelers
A 50' hose
Y fitting for hose
24" griddle (had this-but it is going to ride in the camper from now on)

Going to do another big order friday.

Tools are taken care of, also adding some plumbing fittings for supplies
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#27]
@Wodstock probably has a list of things we bought for ours back in 2020.  It's our first one, but we feel like long timers now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#28]
It's nice having a short fresh water hose, too.  Easier to deal with if the fill station is right next to the camper.  Water meter and spout with shutoff valve, too.  I also use the short sewer hose if the dump station is setup good, and I get the outlet lined up.  The clear elbow for the hole is mandatory.  Separate black tank flush water hose, too.  Rhino makes a bright orange one.  Get a box of 9 mil gloves from Harbor Freight, and look for one of those glove box holders you see in the dr's office.  Ours is a metal one that we attached inside the passthru storage to keep gloves handy when dumping.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Get puppy pads  to put at the bottom of a storage container for only sewer goods. -  also get a glove/kleenex holder (like at the dr office) and put your gloves there. -You'll appreciate that later- Put that on the drivers side if you are doing the dumping.

Get solar bubble lights or something to mark where the tongue is, so that you don't hit your leg when walking around the trailer.

get a camping mat - so that you don't bring in tons of dirt and have astro turf mats inside and out of the trailer. It helps keep things cleaner inside.

12V LED lights that are also night lights if boondocking are very helpful

Power tongue jack and a good cover for it to hang chains from.

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is a link to a majority of the mods we have done to help w travelling:
Coachman Apex Nano 187RB Mods
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't have a trailer, but have been dry-camping with a friend several times and one thing I don't see on your list is a tray or other spark-arresting platform for your generator. Used road signs are common at one range we dry camp at.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't have a trailer, but have been dry-camping with a friend several times and one thing I don't see on your list is a tray or other spark-arresting platform for your generator. Used road signs are common at one range we dry camp at.
View Quote
Nothing is dry around here, not worried about sparks.  Campfires are way more sparky than our generators, which, I've never seen emit anything.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Yall are awesome!  Looking forward to joining the club tomorrow.  

RV/Trailer folks have seemed to be super helpful and accomodating so far.  What is the arfcom of TT?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Does it have a power awning on it? If so, bring an electric drill and at least a (I believe) 5/16” socket. Our awning failed to retract last year, a wire got pinched and cut. The only way to retract it is to remove a rubber plug on the top of one of the arms, and turn a hex nut to bring it in.

If you don’t have a drill, this will take you a good 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Does it have a power awning on it? If so, bring an electric drill and at least a (I believe) 5/16” socket. Our awning failed to retract last year, a wire got pinched and cut. The only way to retract it is to remove a rubber plug on the top of one of the arms, and turn a hex nut to bring it in.

If you don’t have a drill, this will take you a good 20 minutes.
View Quote

It does, as well as electric jack and stabalizers.  I was planning on figuring our the stabalizer backup/jack backup bolt sizes.  

Didnt know that about the awning, will look when i get it home.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yall are awesome!  Looking forward to joining the club tomorrow.  

RV/Trailer folks have seemed to be super helpful and accomodating so far.  What is the arfcom of TT?
View Quote
What are you getting? How many people you travelling with? Any pets coming? What's your tow vehicle? (The tow vehicle and how it is hitched, is typically the time you will end up having people give you slack. Safety is obviously very important.)
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does it have a power awning on it? If so, bring an electric drill and at least a (I believe) 5/16" socket. Our awning failed to retract last year, a wire got pinched and cut. The only way to retract it is to remove a rubber plug on the top of one of the arms, and turn a hex nut to bring it in.

If you don't have a drill, this will take you a good 20 minutes.
View Quote
Electric awning, I don't dear leave out in wind or rain. Unfortunately the quality over the years has gone down and that is not a fix I want to do while on the road. But yes, electric drill is a must, it helps getting the stabilizers up and down quicker too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Electric awning, I don't dear leave out in wind or rain. Unfortunately the quality over the years has gone down and that is not a fix I want to do while on the road. But yes, electric drill is a must, it helps getting the stabilizers up and down quicker too.
View Quote
Good point on the awning..  I'm on Oklahoma, so the wind is always blowing.  We have some awning rules:
1. 15mph or stronger wind, awnings come in.
2. Awnings get brought in if we leave campsite, anytime.
3. Awnings come in at night before bed.

All three of these rules has saved us alot of hassle over the years.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What are you getting? How many people you travelling with? Any pets coming? What's your tow vehicle? (The tow vehicle and how it is hitched, is typically the time you will end up having people give you slack. Safety is obviously very important.)
View Quote

It is a lantern 242bh.  Wife and a 6yr old and 5yr old- both boys.  Pets doubtful- maybe as he gets a bit older.  Tow rig is a little overkill for the camper-that was a struggle at dealerships-kept wanting to steer me bigger.  Towing with a F350 diesel.

And a homecoming picture!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Other tips:

View Quote

Why not?
I have no idea and don’t own an RV/travel trailer yet, but that’s surprising to me
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Bicycles
I know we use the crap out of ours when we go to campgrounds.
Just some used cruiser styles we picked up for about $50 each serve us well.

Also a good quality large ice chest is nice to have.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get a surge protector for when you plug into shore power, some of the electrical hook ups at parks can be sketchy. The better ones are digital and will give you information about voltage and amp draw on top of just the basic surge protection.

You may want to get a longer power cord for the camper, not all power pedestals are in the best location, some are even on the opposite side of the camper from the plug. Get couple of power cord adapters. My trailer has a 50a plug in but some times 30a may be all that's available. I can adapt from 50a to 30a or 30a to 15a to cover what's available for plug ins.
View Quote

A cable lock for the shore power surge suppressor.  Easy to steal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#43]
If you get trailer sway, do you know how to handle it? Do you have sway control? W/D hitch I assume. Spare tire and rims for trailer? Do you have a impact wrench for zipping off lug nuts?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why not?
I have no idea and don’t own an RV/travel trailer yet, but that’s surprising to me
View Quote

For sealing exterior surfaces, butyl tape is usually a better choice than either RTV silicone or putty.

RTV is fine for some interior applications (i.e., sealing gaps in countertops and shower stalls), but tends to attract road dirt and dust when used outdoors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you get trailer sway, do you know how to handle it? Do you have sway control? W/D hitch I assume. Spare tire and rims for trailer? Do you have a impact wrench for zipping off lug nuts?
View Quote

Feel very comfortable towing, even a large sail.  Pulling with a F350, electronic brake controller.  Which is good, at least thats one thing i dont have to figure out

I tow normally 3000 miles a year for my fishing tournaments.  Carry a full jack, plug kit, impact + compressor, and will add a spare hub for the camper.  Carry one for the boat trailer already.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#46]
If your genset is the standard type, look at replacing it with an inverter model.  

Shit wagon comes in handy.

Chem tape/fiberglass tape for repairs, (different names for that, it's just really thick and sturdy duct tape)  Esp if your wife tends to break window glass like mine does.

Solar sidewalk lights. Might save you a sprained ankle in the dark.  

Battery powered bug zapper.

Large fire extinguishers.  I keep four in the storage box, I've watched a camper burn from a shorted power hookup before.

Filter trap for your water line.  I've had to tear down the plumbing to remove all the sand I gathered from a campground water supply.

Grease gun and replacement grease hub caps.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Okay now you guys have blown the budget

Going to have to prioritize some of this.  

What is the go to tire now?  I know the tires that are on it are chinese POS.  Looking to do about 6 mos on these then swap.  Not planning on anything over 90 miles one way in that time frame anyway.  

Ramps are on the way, along with filters, PRV, 30' power cord, and hose for water.

Take delivery friday.  

Tools are well covered in the truck.  I carry a full jack, compressor, 1/2" impact, multimeter, electrical box, hand tools, socket set etc.  And plenty of duct tape.
View Quote

I have a Vintage Cruiser that usually come with Chinese tires (China bombs) and everyone changes them to Goodyear Endurance. Thankfully mine came with them already :)

You absolutely have to have a water pressure regulator for your water hookup. Campground pressure varies from campground to campground.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If your genset is the standard type, look at replacing it with an inverter model.  

Shit wagon comes in handy.

Chem tape/fiberglass tape for repairs, (different names for that, it's just really thick and sturdy duct tape)  Esp if your wife tends to break window glass like mine does.

Solar sidewalk lights. Might save you a sprained ankle in the dark.  

Battery powered bug zapper.

Large fire extinguishers.  I keep four in the storage box, I've watched a camper burn from a shorted power hookup before.

Filter trap for your water line.  I've had to tear down the plumbing to remove all the sand I gathered from a campground water supply.

Grease gun and replacement grease hub caps.
View Quote

Shit wagon??
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Shit wagon??
View Quote

Turd toter to partially empty your grey and/or black tanks when not on full hook ups. I use a Camco Rhino 21 gallon. It has enough capacity and is still light enough when full to drag up to the truck to tow to the dump station.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Got it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top