Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2023 5:11:01 PM EDT
I've randomly heard traffic on GMRS Ch 22, 462.725

Weird to me because it's US wide GMRS.

Right now they're running a net with people from Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota, Idaho, New York not sure where else. Sounds like they're using some kind of internet link.

I'm curious who is running this, what frequencies everyone is on, how are they linking repeaters, and generally what's going on.  Also weird that they're using their GMRS callsigns which doesn't seem to be common like it is on ham bands. They're calling it Grid Down.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out
https://mygmrs.com/map

There are a few linked GMRS repeaters near me. On Sunday they used to link up to a National net.  Probably similar to the software that supports EchoLink or Allstar networked repeaters.

GMRS does require call signs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Hop on and ask them. I bet they'll be more than happy to explain.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a couple of GMRS nets in my AO that rotate between two repeaters. You would be surprised at the number of check ins they get. These aren't networked due to the lack of internet access at the remote sites.

This area is not currently swamped with the super user people having repeaters on all pairs yet as Southern California is.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hop on and ask them. I bet they'll be more than happy to explain.
View Quote

I had that thought, but several people were already complaining about getting walked on. They said 131 people had checked in on the repeaters.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Check out
https://mygmrs.com/map

There are a few linked GMRS repeaters near me. On Sunday they used to link up to a National net.  Probably similar to the software that supports EchoLink or Allstar networked repeaters.

GMRS does require call signs.
View Quote

I looked at mygmrs.com and repeaterbook.com.  Neither had a repeater in my area on that frequency.

FCC may require it on GMRS, but most don't seem to do it. I figured it was mostly hams with GMRS.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The repeater owners around here require users to have call signs ($35.00 fee). One of the repeaters is owned by a GMRS guy (Ch 20R) while the other (CH 21R) is owned by a ham. There's a good repeater across the state line on 462.575(Ch 16R), but I don't know much about it. The local guys get over 25 checkins which is pretty for unlinked repeaters.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
What time is the net? What day of the week? Or is it once a month? I am really curious
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What time is the net? What day of the week? Or is it once a month? I am really curious
View Quote

I don't know.

I happened onto it while scanning. They said the last net was in February.  The net control mentioned they probably wouldn't have another over summer. I was hoping someone on here knew what it was and maybe a website.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Decent chance it could be a net affiliated with AmRRON.

One of the MURS nets I hear in my area is connected with them. There's another closely-tied group, TAPRN, that does similar stuff.

There's another group here that does a net that explicitly states they don't have a membership and there's no membership list. I think they got tired of glowies asking to join their group.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top