Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2022 9:58:18 PM EDT
Any recommendations for a weight distribution hitch? Brands or otherwise?

Never used one before, so be gentle on me. I'm ready to learn.

Silverado 1500 and a Grey Wolf 26dbh.

Not going to be towing it often but want to do it safely when I do. Upgrading to a 3/4 ton pickup isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a brand new one for sale... shipping would cost what it's worth.  

We bought a Husky Centerline.  We tow a Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB (3800lb gross, well, if we remove some stuff, that is) with a Jeep WK2 5.7.  Works well, never any sway issues, and was fairly easy to install, the perches on the trailer cleared the propane tray and other stuff.

When you pick one, get spring bars rated for at least the max tongue weight, my Jeep is 720lbs, so I got 800lb spring bars.  You can adjust the tension for what you need, lots of videos out there you can watch.

(Stopped at Runnings, checked the oil and let the engine cool off while we ate lunch.)
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
#22 Husky 32215 Centerline TS weight distribution hitch. Installation and first impressions.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vid from an RV dealer:
Husky Center Line TS Hitch Installation - Layzee Acres RV Sales

And those big bolts do need a fuck ton of torque.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Over the years I've towed some big campers with my 1500 Suburbans.  I've owned two Reese WDH's and have been happy with them
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Weight distributing hitch?  What's that?  

Attachment Attached File

Seriously, though, you have to know your trailer weights and your tow vehicle weight ratings.

Are you using 50% of your tow vehicle's capability?  
90%?  
Can you put 13% (or more) of the trailer weight on the tongue, or will it have to be less?
If you're close to your max weights and tongue weight closer to 10%, you might want to look at some of the anti sway higher-end hitches like Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Fastway E2. Nothing special but it works very well with my F150 and a 9000# TT.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the size trailer as to what setup you need.  Get a WD/Sway bar combo.  We ran a Reese setup for years and it was great.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I loved my Andersen w/d hitch. So much easier to use and much lighter than traditional bar style hitches

And the user with the 3/4 ton suburban still should have a w/d hitch. It's not about squat it's about putting weight back on the front and that's generally needed for any trailer over 5klbs. On top of the fact that the hitch helps get rid of the truck and trailer getting out of sync where the truck is bouncing opposite of the trailer on bridge expansion joints and rough roads. That bounce can be disasterous if you need to perform an emergency maneuver.

And this is coming from someone who put a w/d hitch on a 6500lb trailer with a dually rated at 18500 for bumper towing. The hitch helps regardless of the tow vehicle
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Equal-i-zer WDH or something like that.  I've only got one season with it, and my only season at that, but pulling a 10K trailer for 10K miles last year behind an F250 worked well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Equalizer 4 point hitch set up,  with 2019 Silverado LD 1500 + 6400# travel trailer.

Equalizer

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Personally, I'd tow for a while without one first, to see if I really needed it.

No sense in adding more hitch complexity, if it really isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I went w/ Blue OX.  It's a WD and equalizer and I would not have one w/o these features.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you everyone
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]

We have been Full Time RVing for a little over two years now.  For the price and what you get the Equalizer is a great option.  If I need another hitch, it will be another equalizer!
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#16]
OP - Do pick one with the sway control bar.  Just be sure you know how much to tighten it

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#17]
One more thing, they are not as difficult to use as they can look. Once you figure out where you need the chains hooked up for your truck and trailer you can pretty much use the same setting every time. At least that has been my experience.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I've used hitches with the separate sway control bar mounted on the side back in the day because that is what we had.  

Today, I still have had better luck with the sway control built in like a Equalizer or it economy brother the E2 (the Equalizer is better quality but honestly for my camper the E2 did just as well)

With the sway bar, you might have to remove it when backing into spots, not so with the equalizer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]
We tow our Keystone Hideout with our F150 using a Camco Recurve R3. It works great and is super easy. Helps with sway quite a bit and pulls like a champ
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a weight distribution hitch? Brands or otherwise?

Never used one before, so be gentle on me. I'm ready to learn.

Silverado 1500 and a Grey Wolf 26dbh.

Not going to be towing it often but want to do it safely when I do. Upgrading to a 3/4 ton pickup isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
View Quote

I have close to the same set up as you, and have good luck with the Husky centerline.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Question about WD hitches. I got one for my new camper and I'm seeing warnings about driving over rough roads or through washes/dips with the bars on because of potential damage. How much of an issue is this?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Blue Ox, 2008 Sequoia Limited, 2016 Jayco Jayflight 287bhsw

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Cherokee Limited 264DBH, towing with both a 2015 Tahoe and a 2020 F-150.  Was using the Equalizer E4, did a decent job of slowing the sway.  Upgraded to the ProPride 3P hitch and ROCK SOLID now.  Last trip we did had 30-40 mph gusts, you can feel it move the whole truck, but doesn't start the tail wag at all.  Weight distribution back to the front axle is much better, and much tighter turning radius makes backing a lot easier to get into my storage area.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question about WD hitches. I got one for my new camper and I'm seeing warnings about driving over rough roads or through washes/dips with the bars on because of potential damage. How much of an issue is this?
View Quote

The bars on a WD hitch are basically large springs that you set (tension) with the tow vehicle and trailer sitting level. If you were to then go through a wash where the vehicle is pitched up and the trailer pitched down its certainly possible to bend the bars beyond their safe limit. You can definitely damage the bars or hitch. To answer specifically would require all the details (TV, trailer, wash grades on both sides, and all the engineering data for the hitch) plus some computer modeling. IE, we can't tell you if a specific scenario will damage your specific hitch, it's best to just avoid the situation by loosening the bars before crossing such obstacles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top