Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2018 10:54:19 AM EDT
Please be gentle - new HAM here and love to build stuff and tinker with gear

I have a Yaesu FT-2DR and often turn it on in my shop to listen to local repeaters. I replaced the antenna with a Diamond SRH77CA but it only helps a little while inside my shop.

I want to build a J pole and found these instructions. Simple 2m

Seems easy but he uses 3/4 copper pipe. What would happen if I use 1/2 inch copper pipe instead? (I just happen to have a bunch of it laying around) and use his spacing and measurements?

My buddy (Elmer) has a SWR meter that he will bring over and help me tune everything once I have it all together.

It will be mounted on a post to the end of my shop. Can't go very high - I live in a association, but the base of the antenna will be 5 feet taller than my shop roof and about equal to my house roof located 20 feet away.

No plans for a base unit at this time (I have been told this will change ) but if this antenna works out I will build another to take to take camping when we do our yearly week at the beach.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Build it! If you have an SWR meter you’re well ahead of most.

You can also build a roll up J-Pole out of ladder line when you go portable.

J pole plans

Antenna building is my favorite part of this hobby.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It will be cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will be cheaper.
View Quote
Build price or build quality? 1/2 vs 3/4
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Friction fit it together and then check it for swr. That way your not doing a bunch of trimming to get to the sweet spot.
Afterwards, then you can solder it up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
in theory, the larger diameter would have a wider bandwidth. In reality, I doubt you'd notice much of a difference (my Arrow J-pole used 1/2" bar stock).
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I built a few years ago using 1/2 inch. Worked fine. But the plans I used were for 1/2 inch as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the 2 meter Slim Jim. Made from 1/2" Copper. Take your time with the tuning, have had several that would barely bump the SWR meter. Most of mine have a shorter gap the plans below, usually about an inch.

The advantages:
Increased gain: compared to a standard J-Pole the Slim Jim has about 6dbi of gain
Wider Bandwidth: Almost 8MHz of 2:1 bandwidth (double that of the J-Pole antenna)
More RF energy aimed at the horizon: with a take-off angle of about 7 degrees for the Slim Jim, compared to 20 degrees for the J-Pole.

Plans;

http://hamuniverse.com/2metercopperslimjim.html
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I prefer the 2 meter Slim Jim. Made from 1/2" Copper. Take your time with the tuning, have had several that would barely bump the SWR meter. Most of mine have a shorter gap the plans below, usually about an inch.

The advantages:
Increased gain: compared to a standard J-Pole the Slim Jim has about 6dbi of gain
Wider Bandwidth: Almost 8MHz of 2:1 bandwidth (double that of the J-Pole antenna)
More RF energy aimed at the horizon: with a take-off angle of about 7 degrees for the Slim Jim, compared to 20 degrees for the J-Pole.

Plans;

http://hamuniverse.com/2metercopperslimjim.html
View Quote
That looks like fun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I made one from 1/2" copper & it worked perfectly. You could use aluminum solid rod or tube as well.

https://www.eham.net/articles/2418
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I made one from 1/2" copper & it worked perfectly. You could use aluminum solid rod or tube as well.

View Quote
LOL - that is the one I linked to in my first post. Glad to hear it worked out well using 1/2 inch
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Build it! If you have an SWR meter you’re well ahead of most.

You can also build a roll up J-Pole out of ladder line when you go portable.

J pole plans

Antenna building is my favorite part of this hobby.
View Quote
Or you’re lazy like me and buy one from N9TAX
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or you’re lazy like me and buy one from N9TAX
View Quote
I bought one of those for portable use and I keep it in the truck. It works well.

I wanted to build one of the N1BMX dual-banders for the home station, but when I priced the thread tap and die and materials, a Blackbird from MTC with shipping was cheaper.

I did make a ground plane for 70cm and 2m from an ARRL manual. It looked nice and worked well, but the dual-band made more sense for a permanent installation.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL - that is the one I linked to in my first post. Glad to hear it worked out well using 1/2 inch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry
i took a pic of mine since it's not up at the moment. The support pipe is 3/4" the rest is 1/2" the SO239 is soldered onto a tee, the center conductor is a piece of 12ga insulated wire fished thru a hole and soldered to the other element. I painted it black so it wouldn't stick out so bad.

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
You won't notice the difference in diameter in any way, just get the lengths correct.

The stub end does not have to be insulated from anything, it is electrically at zero v.  It can be grounded or not.

A J-pole is a good antenna, is pretty much omnidirectional.

The higher you mount it, the better performance you will get.  Even a difference of 5' or 10' can make a big
difference.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember to check continuity after soldering the coax!
John, KF5ZMD
My plans for 220 MHz antenna build

J Pole Calculator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top