Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2018 11:42:13 PM EDT
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/we-are-being-invaded-by-wild-hogs-feds-shoot-swine/article_38268be4-b133-51ea-b0f6-6d6c91a56443.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like y’all have the same problem we do. The people in charge don’t know much about wildlife.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you copy/paste because paywall.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s funny.  They killed a hundred last week. The good news for Missouri, since the feds are in charge, you’ll have something to hunt year round before too long .  Get in early.  Once it gets popular, farmers get bombarded with people “offering to help out”. Then his cow/horse/goat/tractor will get shot up .  Then you get thrown off , and he starts researching poison.   Poison is boring , no shooting pigs in the face with poison.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
We have already been told we can’t hunt them.  Apparently it will disrupt the mo gov attempts to trap them and also us hunters cannot be trusted to not catch and realease them in other places.  But the feds.....they get to.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have already been told we can’t hunt them.  Apparently it will disrupt the mo gov attempts to trap them and also us hunters cannot be trusted to not catch and realease them in other places.  But the feds.....they get to.
View Quote
@sanman28

We can hunt them, just has to be a property not owned by the state or managed by MDC.  There is nothing stopping you from hunting on a farm.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That’s funny.  They killed a hundred last week. The good news for Missouri, since the feds are in charge, you’ll have something to hunt year round before too long .  Get in early.  Once it gets popular, farmers get bombarded with people “offering to help out”. Then his cow/horse/goat/tractor will get shot up .  Then you get thrown off , and he starts researching poison.   Poison is boring , no shooting pigs in the face with poison.
View Quote
That's how it used to be a couple years ago before the game wardens made it illegal.  They run a monopoly on wild pork around here, have to go to Arkansas or Oklahoma to shoot pigs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny how situations are treated differently regionally. In Texas, I would not be surprised if they passed a law saying you HAD to shoot a hog or two. I have 190 acres in S. Texas and they are a horrible problem. As far as "saving" the meat is concerned, it is just not cost effective. Donating the meat is easy, cleaning the nasty "you know what" to get the meat is not easy. I am a dragger, as in I shoot them and then drag them to the corner of the property.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@sanman28

We can hunt them, just has to be a property not owned by the state or managed by MDC.  There is nothing stopping you from hunting on a farm.
View Quote
I guess “can’t” was too strong a word.  They strongly discourage it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sanman28

For those of us that dont have private property access, it's a defacto ban.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
All of this really poses an interest dilemma.  If the state of Missouri doesn’t want a hog population, then what they need to do is ban hunting them .  If they don’t, folk will realize it’s fun, and you can do it year round , and they’ll pay to do it .  Once money starts getting made, they’ll start importing them . Then you’ll really have a problem so to speak.   At the end of the day , nobody really wants them gone .  Everybody act like they do.  Most have no idea of the real damage, and aren’t impacted by it either. If they really wanted to “help landowners “ they could take the 20k worth of thermal/nv they just bought and donate it to a guy that’s got pigs.  He could buy 2 nice traps to use at his place. But that ain’t as fun as shooting them in the face....
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sanman28

Sad part is Missouri has a huge amount of Department of Conservation that is not does not include State Parks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All of this really poses an interest dilemma.  If the state of Missouri doesn’t want a hog population, then what they need to do is ban hunting them .  If they don’t, folk will realize it’s fun, and you can do it year round , and they’ll pay to do it .  Once money starts getting made, they’ll start importing them . Then you’ll really have a problem so to speak.   At the end of the day , nobody really wants them gone .  Everybody act like they do.  Most have no idea of the real damage, and aren’t impacted by it either. If they really wanted to “help landowners “ they could take the 20k worth of thermal/nv they just bought and donate it to a guy that’s got pigs.  He could buy 2 nice traps to use at his place. But that ain’t as fun as shooting them in the face....
View Quote
Yeah and after ten years of shooting them in the face it really becomes work! I liked a whole lot better when we could sell them to the Texans for really good money. I can remember the days of $100.00 an inch for tusk. And a bonus if they were calm animals. We’ve always had feral pigs here and they didn’t explode until the state banned selling them to Texas. Nobody here wants to pay to hunt them and most properties are small so we really don’t have the hunting options large land owners have.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sad part is Missouri has a huge amount of Department of Conservation that is not does not include State Parks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sanman28

I do all my hunting in Mark Twain.  I see hog sign almost everytime I get around a water hole.  It's a shame I cant actively hunt them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I was just notified by the DOC private lands agents that they trapped and killed 12 hogs on my place today while I was at work!! Good job guys!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top