Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2018 12:08:05 AM EDT
I bought a canvas bag and it came with a tin of wax. So i waxed it up last night and it said to let it sit for 24 hours. I got home and it feels sticky and the wax seems not dry.
Did i just screw up a $100 bag?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It may be oversaturated with wax, or the wax may not have completely penetrated the fibers of the jacket. Alternatively it may just need some wear or it could be the byproduct of the type of wax you used.

It seems unlikely that you have done any permanent damage though.

I wax my canvas jackets irregularly, but when I do I use Otter Wax. It has no petroleum or silicone products in it. I have found that applying it in a warm and dry room is best for application, smooting out over applied spots with your fingers. I let the garment sit for 24 hours after I am done with the application. Generally it will be slightly tacky but not overly slick or greasy.

If the jacket is too waxed I take a heat gun or hair dryer and heat up some areas and spread out the wax further. Then let the jacket cure for another 24 hours.

All that said, some times you just have to get the intial wear into it. That removes some of the surface wax, leaving just the wax that has actually penetrated into the fibers. This creates a more finished/textured look and feel.

Goodluck with your project
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I waxed a couple of my Duluth packs that were not waxed.. I melted the wax, spread it on with a brush then..

Put the bag/s in an old pillow case,  tied it off with cord/rope of your choice. Toss it in the dryer for for awhile and let it buck.. Worked great, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to make such BAGS for Barbour

Just gently warm it in a circular motion with a hairdryer.
Should soak into the fibres without any problem...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I think i over saturated it. It came with a tin of British Millerain Wax, i heated it with a hair drier and rubbed it in with gloved on and then heated the bag again. i tried to reheat the bag tonight  to see if i could get it to soak in but it just melted the wax and made it tacky. I hung it outside to see if it hardens. If not im gonna try a heat gun or the pillow case thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top