Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2020 12:31:12 AM EDT
What do you use?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking real waterproof? As in “I’m going snorkeling and want to use my iPhone underwater to film for a couple of hours”?

I bought a Watershot Splash last year. It worked beautifully with me spending over 2 hours straight in the water. I was able to manipulate all the controls underwater and it took great pics and video all while staying bone dry.

I didn’t even have any condensation issues despite being in the water so long.

Granted, I got it super cheap on clearance because I was using my old iPhone SE. but if we do our normal cruise thing this fall, I trust it enough to go ahead use my 11 this year.

The only trick is to carefully follow the excess air expulsion directions. If you don’t, the case on the screen side will bubble up just enough to render the touch screen useless. It will still be watertight. But you’ll have to depend on button controls. That kinda sucks if you want to switch back and forth between still shots and video.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a knockoff Lifeproof case and it’s ok. Doubt it was ever truly waterproof. The mic quality wasn’t great due to the waterproofing so I drilled out a couple small holes by the mic and the sound quality when I’m talking to someone is much better. Of course, now it’s definitely not waterproof. However, I just wanted it to be protected from splashing and, more importantly, protected from shock.

When it needs to be replaced,I’ll probably replace it with a real Lifeproof case
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Lifeproof Fre. I’ve never had a drop of water get through any of mine, whether from splashes or being submerged. 2 tips: 1, use a bit of weatherstrip adhesive to secure the charging port cover’s seal, it’s just set in there and can get lost. 2, the home button membrane is thin and will tear pretty quickly, I cut a piece of plastic from a blister pack and glued it in using weatherstrip adhesive. It’s much stronger, though you do have to press a lot harder and making double-taps take some getting used to. It’s been at least a year since I did mine and it just recently split. If I can find some clear vinyl I’ll use that since it’s more flexible.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
They’re already waterproof.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sold on the Lifeproof Fre as well.  Quick story as to why...

A couple of years ago, I was upgraded to an iPhone 7 and I bought the Fre on a whim (I'm pretty hard on phones).  3 days later, I was duck hunting and didn't zip up a coat pocket all the way.  I bent over to unhook the boat from the blind and watched my brand new Iphone and case fall into the lake.  Needless to say, I couldn't let that stand.  The next morning I was able to go back and dive to retrieve my phone.  At that time, Lifeproof would warranty the Fre for 30 minutes at a depth of 2 meters.  Mine was at 2 meters for 27 hours when I recovered it.  When I was able to break the case open and clean it, there was a little mud starting to seep through the lighting port cover that had not reached the phone yet.  Other than that, it was clean and dry.  Additionally, I am in swift water environments occasionally and have had no problem with the case/phone is a pocket of my PFD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top