Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2022 9:22:45 PM EDT
I recently started getting into fly fishing. My buddy took me on a pretty successful trip and now I'm hooked and want to continue in the sport. I caught about 10 rainbows and had a great time.

I wanted to get into it as cheaply as possible to make sure I liked it, so I bought a Sougayilang rod and reel combo off of Amazon, a 5/6wt. It seems pretty stiff and I think I'm having trouble loading the rod when casting. Also, the cork on the handle is already coming apart after one trip. The reel actually seems pretty nice though, machined aluminum with decent drag.

So, I'd like to get a nicer rod and reel and keep this Amazon rod as a back up or loaner for friends/wife. I'd like to spend about $500 on a rod/reel/line set up. I know this is still solidly in the entry level price point, but I'd like to get the best I can get for the money.

Mostly wading rivers for trout and maybe some smallmouth, so looking at a 9' 5wt. I'm mostly using nymphs with an indicator or wooly buggers.

Maybe a TFO Blue Ribbon or Echo Trout or Redington Trace?

I'll probably put a TFO NTR reel on whatever rod I pick.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Let me know if there are other rods or brands that I am overlooking.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had one TFO rod for 10 years, a 4 weight, and its been a good rod, so have nothing bad to say about TFO. Recently I wanted a 9' 5wt, and after doing a bunch of research picked up an Orvis Clearwater. I love it. Very responsive, accurate at a distance, not too heavy, Orvis has a no questions asked life time warranty (Reddington does not, TFO does) and I've broken a couple rods over the years so whatever rod you buy if it's more than $150 make sure it has lifetime replacement for any reason.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I found a TFO Blue Ribbon on sale and bought it and an Echo Bravo LT. Got Rio Gold Elite line to go on it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rebel_rifle] [#3]
While I have several Orvis rods and like and use them (among others) Orvis does not have a lifetime warranty, only a 25 year guarantee, FYI.

https://www.orvis.com/clearwater-fly-rod/25SP-Family.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:
While I have several Orvis rods and like and use them (among others) Orvis does not have a lifetime warranty, only a 25 year guarantee, FYI.

https://www.orvis.com/clearwater-fly-rod/25SP-Family.html
View Quote

Didn't realize that, thanks.

Still for me 25 years out of a rod is probably sufficient.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of Sage rods I used for smallmouth, 9ft 8wts.
Can't remember what models they are, I'd have to look.
They are more of the middle of the road Sages. they are softer and load nicely.
Used for tossing small poppers mostly.
Some streamer work.

Is a 8wt too big for your use?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have fished an old Orvis for a while now.  Have a sage that I can't ever fall in love with.  Have some old high end Cabella rods that are excellent too.

My advice is find a place and try different rods if you can.   My favorite fly rod that I can cast the furthest and most accurate with is a hot pink maxximum catch off Amazon I bought for my wife.  That $100 rod puts my sage to shame...

Find a custom builder potentially too.  My buddy builds all my jig rods from blanks and they are untouchable in the sensitivity dept.  I ran St. Croix avids before I started having him build me rods and its not even close.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:55:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#7]
I have a few Orvis rods.  Then again I live less than an hour away from Manchester Vermont.   I used to hit their tiny shop in the village that sold a lot of their overstocks, discontinued models, etc.   The little store had some bargains and if the barrels were packed full of rods in cases the manager would really discount them to make room.  When they bought out Redington rods they were really slashing prices.   I was sad when the closed the tiny shop in the 1800s building with creaky wooden floors.

Iirc I have an 8 wt and two 4 wt, one of them a pack rod.  

I admit I never got good with them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
 When they bought out Redington rods they were really slashing prices.
View Quote

Surely you meant brought out? Redington is owned by Far Bank which also owns Sage and Rio fly lines. Orvis never owned Redington. Orvis does own SA (Scientific Angler) fly lines though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The TFO products are all pretty well made, I have a BVK 9ft5wt that I like, I also use two Scott A2's in 5wt and 6wt. If you can get to a shop, I am sure they would let you test cast a few rods and then you can make a better choice, Good luck and Tight lines!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
also have a Sage Vantage 9' 5 wt with a Lamson Konic 2.0 reel filled with Rio Rio Grand line in very good condition.
Includes the original Sage case.
Its a older very nice some what softer rod thats easier to cast compared to most of the high end Sage rods that I find harder to cast.

I'll let OP have it for $250 plus shipping.

Older review of this rod

"The Vantage Rod Series caters to fly anglers who are just getting their feet wet. Engineered to be easier to use for novices who typically cast shorter distances, they boast a Medium-Fast Action and a slim-line ferrule design that makes them fast, smooth, and light. Distinctive features include hard chrome snake guides, Hardloy stripping guides, a titanium anodized-aluminum reel seat, pre-shaped cork handles, and a Cordura rod tube. Color: Mocha."

Made in USA.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Did Santa bring you a rod? If not get out to as many shops and cast as many rods as you can. Cast rods above and below your budget. You are looking for a rod that has what I call soul. I can’t tell you which one will give you that feeling because everyone is different. Enjoy the process and don’t settle for a soul less rod!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top