Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2018 10:00:58 AM EDT
Greetings all,

I picked up a hunting license last fall and would like to start learning how to hunt grouse, turkey and pheasant.

At this point I have precisely zero experience. A total beginner. I need to learn everything.

The problem is I don't know anyone who hunts and live in a liberal, gun hating city, so I am kind of on my own here.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting started?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Watch some Elmer Fudd cartoons to learn the basics.  If you can shoot that wascally wabbit then you know you’re top tier.

(I kid!!).  Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Read the regulations book for your state, in it will be sections about public land. Where to find them, what you can do, policy etc. etc. As for the actual hunting, walk around in places you are legal to hunt, and the birds are likely to be. It's not that hard, but it's also not that easy.

Perhaps a good place to start is by finding out a biologist or game warden in the area you want to hunt and pick their brain if they have the time. I've called the game warden and biologist outside of Campo, Co once a month for the past 6 months, keeping up tabs on the local elk population so I don't show up from Texas and they are staying across the border.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll need a dog for grouse and pheasant. You can go hunting without one, but you likely won't get anything. Maybe grouse in the right terrain. Do a search for hunting clubs in your area. Also, if you have never shot trap before, do it. Trap mimics grouse and pheasant flight. Hunting over dogs is a hoot.

Turkeys are different. First, you have to put in time scouting it you don't already know where they are. Ask fish and game, etc., to find a general area. Then scout by getting in that area an hour or two before sunrise. You'll hear them gobble as they start to awaken at first light. You'll need good camo, including face, and some kind of decoy. Also a call to match the type of decoy you use, whether it be hen or tom. A great deal of patience is required. Say you hear a tom and you start calling. Don't assume he's split the scene or start moving around just because an hour has passed. He may be quietly and slowly working his way to you. What's fun is when one is hot to trot and covers a lot of ground running at you, then stops and dances around fanning. Turkeys are a blast and you don't need dogs or any kind of support.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to learn to hunt start with squirrels. They are fairly easy to hunt and plentiful.  That's how most kids that grow up hunting learn. You will learn the woodsmanship and patience it takes. Maybe even meet other squirrel hunters that might take you under thier wing and help you learn other hunting methods. You have to learn to crawl before you walk. But there has to be somebody in your circle of friends that hunts and will help you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I second the hunt club idea. I have a large private one close to me and they host dog training events a lot. I go watch because I like to see different training techniques.

Game farms are another good resource and you typically do not need a hunting license. At least here you don't.

You could also post in your hometown board here and look for a hunting buddy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the hometown forum and other online forums or organizations local to you.  Reach out to people, I’ve always had good luck with people offering to teach you, or at least give good advice.  I like the suggestion of squirrel hunting.

Also make sure you take a hunters safety course.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Join your local hunting conservation organizations.  Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, National Wild Turkey Federation, etc.  Volunteer your time with these orgs, attend banquets, network with hunters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Check the area for local pointing \ flushing breed clubs.  Find their facebook\website and introduce yourself.  Let them know you want to get into bird hunting, and eventually get a dog, but you do not know which breed...that should get them fired up!  If you'r a nice guy, and buy a few six pack of beer to drink after some field trials\hunt tests, you might even garner an invitation to tag along on a hunt.  DO NOT TRY TO BE A FREELOADER!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Im in the same boat you are, but even further from birds!

Did you manage to get out at all this season?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top