Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2022 10:54:23 PM EDT
Suggestions welcome.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexasSheepdog] [#1]
Silva Ranger 515 Compass

We have this one for basic orienteering and it works well.

My kids have this one SUUNTO M-3 Compass mainly for lower cost and complexity.

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPC] [#2]
Sunnto A10
Hope you can read a map,,set declinations.

This has built in cards that can be useful
Would be a great choice.

https://www.brunton.com/collections/outdoor-compasses/products/truarc-20?variant=33175457792059#desc

REI,, usually puts classes on.
Find an orientation group to learn more.

REI classes
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Tried and true MIL lensatic compass for the win.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPC:
Sunnto A10
Hope you can read a map,,set declinations.

This has built in cards that can be useful
Would be a great choice.

https://www.brunton.com/collections/outdoor-compasses/products/truarc-20?variant=33175457792059#desc

REI,, usually puts classes on.
Find an orientation group to learn more.

REI classes
View Quote

The REI orienteering class was great. Wife and I went, and it boosted our confidence in compass usage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#5]
This is what I have used for 40 years

silva mini

The mirror and the sight on top are important if you are going to need it
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The compass you get depends on how you plan on using it. I can’t remember the last time I actually used a map and compass together, I just use the compass to get north then orient the map roughly or use terrain association. If I ever come to a trail junction with multiple trails fanning out 10-15 degrees apart then I’ll actually orient the map like I was taught long ago in Boy Scouts. For what I do, a compass with a floating dial (like a lensatic) is easiest and fastest. You have to remember to add/subtract declination when converting magnetic azimuth to grid azimuth since, unlike the model posted by Mach, you can’t set the declination. The compass I’ve used the most over the past 6-8 years is little thing in a combination compass/whistle/magnifier/thermometer that was always clipped to my belt loop or shoulder strap. I checked it against one of my other compasses (Brunton TruArc) and my iPhone compass from time to time. Last year it was no longer accurate and I haven’t gotten around to replacing it yet.

If you’re going to use the compass in conjunction with the map, a Brunton/Silva/Suunto is definitely the best kind. Set your declination on the dial and never have to think “Left Add, Right Subtract” when converting from magnetic to grid azimuth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Compass-recommendation/1-701908/

Buy once, cry once- Suunto MC-2. Cheaper options above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top