Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2018 12:05:27 AM EDT
Haven’t been into Cabela’s much lately but needed to take the little guy out to see the fish.  Wandered through the gun library and spied three Lotts.  A pair of Rugers and one CZ550.  1700-1800 for each of them.  Worth getting or meh not that good of a deal?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
With the walnut stock, a CZ 550 Safari in 458 Lott can be had new for less than $1200.  The question is whether that is the right cartridge/rifle combination for your needs.  What do you plan to use it for?  If you don't already have a 375 H&H, I would get one of those first, as it is much more versatile.  The current production Win 70's are really nice and a great deal.  They have significantly better fit and finish than the CZ.  You can buy one for about $1250 if you shop around.  Here is mine:

Attachment Attached File

I am currently in the market for a larger bore for dangerous game to pair with my 375 for my next trip to Africa.  I am leaning toward a Sako in 500 Jeffery.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The two rugers were the out of production RSM guns, the CZ was one of the nicer models, that is it actually had a crossbolted stock.  Mostly found it striking to have that many Lotts in one place.

Already have an H&H in a 798.  Already have one m70 safari in 416 Remington.  Need a 45 caliber still.  I prefer the big boomers over the little calibers these days
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bigtwinlvr:
The two rugers were the out of production RSM guns, the CZ was one of the nicer models, that is it actually had a crossbolted stock.  Mostly found it striking to have that many Lotts in one place.

Already have an H&H in a 798.  Already have one m70 safari in 416 Remington.  Need a 45 caliber still.  I prefer the big boomers over the little calibers these days
View Quote
In that case, carry on.  My next rifle is probably going to be a Sako Brown Bear in 500 Jeffery.  I am plotting a return to Africa for cape buffalo and greater kudu, hopefully in 2020.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice. I’d like to make a trip to Africa some day.  Wife gave me permission to see about converting a ‘17 Enfield to 458 win.  Since it’ll likely cost when done close to a new model 70, it’ll make a good excuse for a new gun lol.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Well they knocked the price down on one of the ruger safari magnums in 458 Lott from 1800 to 1400.  Almost tempting but awfully heavy.  Still kind of want a model 70 in 458 win.  Then again I have a 100 pcs of 458 win brass from the Norma sale
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top